Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WalMart may not carry Royal Oak Charcoal any longer?

2»

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Stike,

I don't believe that was the case. I am very careful to make sure I get a clean burn before I start. We went back to BGE lump and haven't had any problems.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    We have a lot of farm stores around here.  I haven't been to many of them, but so far no lump seen at the ones I have been to.  Luckily we have a good BBQ supply place nearby where we can get Royal Oak and also Walmart where we can get it in the summer (I hope that continues).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Msiano
    Msiano Posts: 1
    My WW had pallets of it last week.  Memphis, TN
  • I bought 8 bags of RO at my Wally World last week.  First time since Thanksgiving that they've had some.  I suppose they just needed the space for Christmas junk. ( Houston, TX)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Told the Dept Mgr at our local WM about the rumor....he said  "No Way, We sell too much of the stuff!"

Bob
    Alex City Al 

Opelika, Alabama
  • Will be going to our Wally world today for some RO.  I bought 13 bags last Oct but now down to my last bag.  I am a lump miser.  As soon as the cook is over the lower vent is closed, the DMFT goes on the grate and the rain cap goes on.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    This is a seasonal issue. I expected this and bought 70 pounds thinking it would be enough.  I'm down to 40 already.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I just used up my first bag of royal oak from walmart and to tell you the truth I wasn't that impressed. I found it to have way too many small pieces. With that being said I am not going to base my final opinion on one bag. I know many people who love the stuff so I will give it another try. If I find similar results in another couple bags though, it's ozark oak only for me.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I just picked up ten bags today. That is what I use. Only have about 300 pounds left. =))
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I went looking at two local WalMarts this past week for Royal Oak.  The one where I'd previously bought it no longer appeared to have a place for it.  The other had a big empty shelf with the Royal Oak lump price tag still there.  Not being happy with my most recent bag of Publix Greenwise lump, I decided to buy a bag of Winn Dixie lump.  I probably won't try it out til next weekend...unless people tell me its crap :)
  • Went to Wally world today and they had plenty of RO red in the garden center.  Purchased seven bags.  Now I have 90 pounds in the garage...a piker compared to thechief96's stash  :))
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908

I had to do a remodel and add a room on my shed when I got my egg.

Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney