Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers, ABTs, and Fries... Oh My! (pic heavy)

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going out of the country (back to the US!!) in 1.5 weeks so not too much time to cook, so figured I'd do something easy today. Burgers, ABTs, and some french fries!

Jalapenos cored and ready to be stuffed. Stuffing of the day is pork sausage with a few herbs/spices - marjoram, oregano, basil, thyme, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, salt, pepper...

IMG_6196.jpg

The burgers were made from some 85% "lean" ground beef, cut with the remaining pork sausage after stuffing the ABT's.

IMG_6198.jpg

Seasoned only with a little kosher salt, ground black peppercorns, and a few drops of fish sauce on each side:

IMG_6200.jpg

After I wrapped the ABT's with bacon, I dusted them with some leftover rub from last week's boston butt cook.

IMG_6201.jpg

Some onions and jalapenos getting a little charred on the egg.

IMG_6204.jpg

Ready for the burgers!

IMG_6205.jpg

The ABTs started to burn on the grid, I guess due to the high brown sugar content in the pork rub, so I had to finish cooking them in the CI skillet.

IMG_6206.jpg

Next up: some bacon for my burger!

IMG_6208.jpg

Topped with Swiss cheese (they gotta be all fancy and label it "Emmental" here... hehe)

IMG_6210.jpg

Burgers on. I'm really on a CI skillet burger kick. I really like the crust that forms when you cook a burger in the skillet.

IMG_6211.jpg

BurgerZoom!

IMG_6212.jpg

Flipped! Ready for the toppings.

IMG_6214.jpg

Sauteed onions & jalapenos:

IMG_6216.jpg

Topped with Swiss cheese (and the bacon)...

IMG_6218.jpg

Egg toasted bun:

IMG_6223.jpg

Plated. Probably my favorite "burger" (almost more like a patty melt) ... beef, grilled onions, grilled jalapenos, cheese, and bacon. and that's it :D Served with some french fries fried in duck fat, a couple of ABT's, and Belhaven's Best to wash it down :D

IMG_6224.jpg

Good stuff.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Heck yea, that's how you do it. Nice stuff there!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    I'm with you! Just not a proper burger without grilled onions and jaleps....and it's clear you can take the heat too! :laugh:

Nice taste in beer there too!!

What is Emmentel cheese similar to? Not familiar with that one...
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Great lookin eats, Rezen. Outdid yourself.
  • Rezen73
    Options
    Love the heat!

For "red pepper flakes" in the sausage, I used Dave's Insanity Spice (which are actually habanero pepper flakes... hehe) :D

Love the burn!!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    What a fine looking cook. I love grilled onions, shrooms and jalapenos on a burger stuffed with cheese. I have that cook is planned for tomorrows supper. Hope tomorrows cook turns out as nice as yours
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Rezen73
    Options
    mmm, I love mushrooms on my burgers too... really wish I had bought some now. Damn. hehe.

I'm sure your cook tomorrow will turn out great :D
  • BrunDog
    BrunDog Posts: 27
    Options
    Burgers look great! I always season fresh cracked black pepper and kosher or fleur de sel. Curious about the fish sauce- big fan here - but never thought of it on a burger. Asides more salinity, what does it do for the flavor?

Also, duck fat fries!! Dude, you're my kind of cook!

-BD
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Wowwwwwwwwwww now that is simply delicious, love emmental ;)
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Lookin' gooood! ;)
  • Rezen73
    Options
    Fish sauce is a strange ingredient indeed.

It's hard to describe the flavor it adds to the burger... you could say "umami", if that's a flavor. You can't taste a distinct flavor, but you know it's missing, if that makes any sense.

All I know, is that I add it to almost all of my burgers these days... it just tastes good :D
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    So that's what everyone means when they say "with Swiss".
    Nice cook.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    PS I bet you're getting your shopping list ready for all the things you miss here, whatever they may be.
  • Wings
    Wings Posts: 20
    Options
    What brand of CI do you use ???
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great looking meal. I did burgers this weekend, too. Love some burgers on the egg.

Those are some skinny looking jalepenos, at least compared to the ones I am used to seeing. Are they all like that over there?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Well done! I would say that was one fine meal.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I'm on the same kick!

I use the skillet/griddle with some parchment paper as a press.

Might have to try the fish sauce. I drizzle some Woosty sauce after pressing and they sit in the fridge for 30 min before they hit the griddle. Hit em' with a little Fleur de Sel and cracked black.

No ketchup or mustard. :sick:

Lately I've been mixing Sriracha and mayo for a little spread with kick. Helps prevent Soggy Bun Syndrome. :woohoo:

003-19.jpg

005-16.jpg

Nice job with the burgers and ABTs. B)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."