Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday Night Fish Fry

Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted good brick oven bread with tonights cast iron salmon. So I got crackin with a poolish I made yesterday.
BreadandSalmon0001.jpg

The first loaf. The aroma is intoxicating.
BreadandSalmon0013.jpg

BreadandSalmon0014.jpg

The second loaf. I feel faint.
BreadandSalmon0015.jpg

The third loaf. I can't take it anymore, I'm going to butter up a slice.
BreadandSalmon0019.jpg

One of life's great pleasures. Fresh bread.
BreadandSalmon0022.jpg

Copper River Sockeye. Blackened using my No.10 Dutch oven in the small egg. Excellent! Amazing how the egg can do it all.
BreadandSalmon0025.jpg

Have a great weekend everybody. I got a BBQ party for tomorrow and I'll be havin fun, three cookers going at once. :woohoo:

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Nicely done Clay. :P

Have a great day tomorrow. ;)
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Man oh man! Both look amazing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Well,the "BAR" has been"Offically" set for this weekend!Looks like it is set MITEE high!Great lookin cook! :)
  • Super delish!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    the bread looks fantastic!

and the salmon looks great too.

not a bad way to end a week ;-)
    context is important :)
  • Clay Q
    Thanks Frank. I'm enjoying the blackening technique,- new to me. Made my own blackening seasoning. Sure is fun to cook in cast iron this way. DianaQ always enjoyed blackened fish so she's my motivator. She was very impressed with this salmon, and loves the bread as well. If she's happy I'm happy. ;)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Great looking bread and salmon, Clay! I see you like the parchment paper technique! :lol:
  • Clay Q
    Or start the weekend! Thanks. Give bread a try if you haven't already. And grab some fresh wild salmon while it lasts. Eat more fish, it's good for you. :)
  • Clay Q
    Yup. Easy on, easy off. This bread was well hydrated and sticky so parchment paper was the ticket for moving it around.
    Do you have a better way?
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Nope! That's my method of choice! :)
  • Clay Q
    It was. Thanks. My wife is a big blackened fish fan and she thought this salmon was one of the best. I made sure to stay with it and pulled it off at 143 internal. There have been times when it goes beyond what it should be...beer was involved, that's my excuse. :whistle:
  • Clay Q
    Ok, then I'm doin somethin right. :huh: B)
  • Clay Q
    Thanks Hoss. I'm doin my best to keep up to you. Stay cool. We got a warm spell starting today with tomorrow being hotter. I'm in a good position with the sun, our house starts shading the patio by 3 o'clock, thank goodness.
  • Clay Q
    Thanks. Bread from my large Baker Egg, cast iron salmon from my small, Travelin Egg. These cookers can do it all. :)
  • Clay Q
    I've already started. Made the marinade for 'beef on a stick' and soon will be goin for ice to load up the coolers with drinks. Menu is good; nachos, grilled sirloin and pineapple on a stick, smoked spare ribs, grilled sweet taters, brick oven bread, dips and chips. Nooooobody leaves hungry. 8 adults, 4 kids. Bluegrass playin, smoke in the air, will be a good time.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Wow, just terrific Clay!!! You are the Master ;) !
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Clay Q wrote:
    Or start the weekend! Thanks. Give bread a try if you haven't already. And grab some fresh wild salmon while it lasts. Eat more fish, it's good for you. :)

I hope to give bread a try soon.

salmon off the egg is a fav. around here :) Actually.. fish in general (cooked, or raw :) )
    context is important :)
  • Clay Q
    Hey girl, did I miss the beer fest pic's??? That's an event I'd go to. By taxi. :whistle: :P
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    October 1st Clay! You'll se pics. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Clay Q
    Awesome! :cheer: You know more than I do. I'm still learnin about fish, just started blackening and I'm hooked on that method. he he he excuse the pun. Well time for me to fire up the egg for nachos, guests due to arrive soon. Have a great weekend.
  • Clay Q
    :pinch: Silly me. October, what a great time of the year for a beer bash! I went to a tasting here in the Fox Valley a couple of years ago and we had a great time. I met local chefs and bbq was discussed, not just beer. You will have fun. ;)
  • Hello Mark did you see this recipe for bread that looks really yummy... :whistle::lol:

Clay looks great! as usual ;)
  • Clay Q
    Thanks Madame Diane,...Tell Mark I'm willing to share so the pressure is off. :silly: :lol:
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I don't care for fish but DANG that bread does look good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Clay Q
    If I could give you some toasted, you would really be impressed. It's hard to stop eating this bread, flavor is so unlike anything from the store.

You might change your mind about fish if you had it blackened. (had to say it, just in case you've never tried fresh salmon like this) :whistle::)
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Clay I will agree with you. One thing I have learned, if it's cooked on the Egg it probably is good. Where can I find this bread recipe? The wife saw the pics and says we have got to try this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!