Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first go with my himalayan salt block

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
thanks richard and little chef for the tips!!...used my salt block last night for the first time....got the egg going and put the block on the grid direct while the egg was just heating up...then got everything up and stabilized around 500 degrees dome temp for about 40 minutes....

IMG00122-20110707-1823.jpg

started with some asparagus, lightly oiled with only a little ground pepper on it (didn't know how much salt taste would transfer from the block)...asparagus came out nice and crispy....didn't pick up much salt flavor from the block though...should have gone ahead and seasoned it like i always do. ...texture was great though....

IMG00123-20110707-1824.jpg

then some nice ahi tuna steaks, brushed very lightly with olive oil and a nice dose of dizzy shaking the tree rub..with the rub, again i'm not sure what the salt block added in terms of salt flavor, but i did like the way the tuna steaks cooked on the block! . .they came out perfect with a nice light crust and rare in the center....

IMG00124-20110707-1828.jpg

IMG00125-20110707-1831.jpg

and on the plate, along with a farro risotto...this is a new go-to side for us ...farro is fantastic instead of rice for a risotto...whole meal was outstanding....

IMG00127-20110707-1839.jpg

as for the block, key is obviously a lot of surface contact...gonna try it this weekend with some shrimp, and maybe something like a hanger steak...stay tuned!

Comments