Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in Vermont

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I visited my friends Julia (WWSIS) and David in Vermont last weekend. Here they are:

P6234307.jpg

And here is Julia with their mini horse - I mean - dog, Tucker:

P6234305.jpg

A close up of Tucker, yes, his head, and I wasn't really all that close~

P6234306.jpg

They live in the sticks, the boonies, some people call it the country. This is their yard and the farm next door.

P6264353.jpg

This is their egg cooking area:

P6264352.jpg

We had alot of fun egging together. I brought lump crab from home and we made my crabcakes, so it could feel like FL to the Vermonters for just a short while.

P6234309.jpg

P6234311.jpg

Next we egged some fresh snapper along with some veggies.

P6234313.jpg

Another day, we visited a Vermont winery to taste some wine, so when we got back, we cracked a bottle called "Cow Tipper", just in time for the neighbor to begin plowing his farm~

P6264357.jpg

Along with the wine, we egged some mussels that came from Maine. These were very delicious:

P6264354.jpg

Julia grilled some romaine lettuce and she chopped it up in a salad. Yum, and pretty, too.

P6264358.jpg

Next it was pork loin, which we pulled at 135 internal and let it rest. Julia brushed it with a really tasty chipotle BBQ sauce.

P6264360.jpg

After dinner, we checked out the pretty flowers growing - wow, someone has a green thumb...

P6264366.jpg

P6264365.jpg

Next David built a bonfire, cause that's what they do at the end of June in Vermont.
Their firepit has their names carved in it...

P6264375.jpg

A toast to friendship, and to Vermont!

P6264364.jpg

P6264362.jpg

Julia egged some pineapple with DP Pineapple Head and served with fresh whipped cream and fresh mint.

P6264377.jpg

She even jumped the bushes and gave a plate to the farmer guy in the tractor:

P6264379.jpg

We went boating on Lake Champlain. They have a very nice fishing boat. The day was gorgeous, perfect weather. We each got a little sunburned!

P6274381.jpg

Julia caught the only fish of the day:

P6274389.jpg

It looks bigger when you squeeze it!

P6274390.jpg

The boating eggheads:

P6274386.jpg

When we got back home, we found this deer in their backyard:

P6274394.jpg

Here's to Vermont!

P6264373.jpg

Thank you, Julia and David! I had a wonderful time!
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Faith:

Beautiful shots, food, and location. Looks like you had fun.

Mike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    What a great group of photos along with story line.
    The fire pit took me back to last night.
    Called my best friend in Ohio to wish him a happy Bday.
    It was 7pm Texas time and still 97 degrees. Asked my friend Mike what he was up to on his Bday. He said he was building a fire pit to use tonight. Just about drove my car into the wall...Sure miss the north.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    julia, next time nail oranges to those trees, helps the floridians feel at home....also attracts the orioles into the yard but i like the other story bettah :laugh: looks good, especially the crab cakes, you need to post the recipe ...please :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This is what she did for the Sunshine Fest after party. They are EGGcellent.

Crab, Cakes, Florida Grillin Girl

Here is the recipe for the crabbiest crabcake: These are great and everyone loves them, because they taste of pure crabmeat, with no fillers.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb lump crabmeat
    1 Tbs capers or to taste
    2 Tbs chopped scallions
    2 Tbs white wine
    cayenne pepper to taste, or tabasco
    Old Bay Seasoning to taste
    1-2 beaten egg whites
    2-3 Tbs flour
    Sauce:
    mayo
    lemon juice
    white wine
    lots of fresh dill
    salt

PROCEDURE:
    1 Mix all gently and adjust seasonings. Cook in olive oil til brown, approx 5 minutes per side, flipping just once.
    2 I made a mayonnaise sauce to dollop on top. I didn't measure but these were the ingredients:

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: Sunshine State Florida Fest '11, Florida Grillin Girl, 2011/04/09

After Party
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    It looks like you had a wonderful time with some great people!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That's the recipe I used, Richard. Thanks!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• crzyedna
    crzyedna Posts: 56
    Options
    Great looking crab cakes!! I plan to make them this weekend with real "MAINE" crabmeat. It was fun meeting you, Faith. Hope to see you at one of the Fla Fests.
    Edna
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    What a FUN post to read. Looks like you all had a great time with scrumptious food. The last photo actually tells the entire story. I love it !!!

Faith: I will bother you later for your crabcake recipe. Mine fell apart on my last try.
    :( Edit: Just saw Richard's post. Recipe downloaded and stored. Thanks !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi Edna. It was a pleasure to meet you and also find out that you are GrillmanDan's mom. I hope to see you at another fest soon! Enjoy the crabcakes.

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Vermont is beautiful, I have family in Burlington. Not quit as hot as Florida this time of year :)
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Super post Faith! The area is beautiful. I especially liked the Moose Crossing signs when I visited. :laugh: I remember how nervous I was when I delivered their first egg hoping, praying that they would take to it and enjoy it. :( Well, I guess it worked out ok don't cha think? B)

Again, terrific post. ;)
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Gary, make sure you have the recipe with "5" minutes per side. I just changed my original post.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks, Gary. This pic is from another batch where they were turned earlier. 5 minutes is good. Add just enough flour so they hold together in a ball, then don't over handle them.

P6274392.jpg

The first pic I posted, I think they got a little too dark - hey- we were having fun while cooking and I wasn't watching close enough!

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    WONDERFUL post Faith! next time you can fly into Bangor and we will do it up Maine style. bring a snow suit though.. and then we will deliver you to Julia and David at the NH fest and you can spend time there LOL
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Got it! Thanks, Richard !!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Julie, I want one of those battery operated hunting jackets that you can turn the dial and make it as warm as you want! I will need one of those if I ever make it to Maine!

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Great post Faith
    All the pics are excellent :)

Shane
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    "2 I made a mayonnaise sauce to dollop on top. I didn't measure but these were the ingredients: ".

Something's missing here, methinks! :laugh:
  • egret
    Options
    That's about as good a post as I've seen here! :laugh: Very well done, Faith! I felt like I was there with ya'll....... :ohmy:
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Looks like you had a blast. The pictures are getting professional looking also, I must say.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Sorry, Egret. No measurements, but made it to taste~

Sauce:
    mayo
    lemon juice
    white wine
    lots of fresh dill
    salt

• egret
    Options
    Thank you, child! Now I can finish this saved recipe! :P
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Was it the amount of wine consumed before the sauce mixing.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thank you for the very nice compliment Egret. It was even more fun than the pictures show!

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Looks like a great time was had by all. Thanks for the pics Faith
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Richard, the sauce ingredients are listed on your post, just not in the right order with the instructions.

And, yes, there was definitley wine consumed there this weekend.

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Looks like perfection from here. ;)
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    We had a great time too! Lots of giggling from beginning to end! Loved having you :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Man, I gotta start looking for some Vermont property! I haven't been up there in way too long, but it really is beautiful. Even better in the Fall!

Julia and David, you have a great looking place and the views are awesome!! Looks like you all had a wonderful visit and some great food. AND TUCKER IS AN AWESOME BEAST!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the work posting that, Faith. A nice narrative and I appreciate the effort!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Great pics, Faith :woohoo:
    Felt just like being there!
    Thanks for the new memories ;)