Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Salmon and Other Goodies

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We liked the blackened salmon so well last weekend that we decided to try again today.

Here is a picture of the salmon that has been prepped to go in the CI skillet. It has a heavy coat of blackening seasoning and then I smear a heavy coat of butter on one side. I do not want to add the butter or oil directly to the pan, because it is another step working over a VERY HOT grill (650-700).

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon4.jpg

I could not get the camera to work outside, so I did not get a picture of the skillet, but here is the finished salmon.

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon5.jpg

I went to the farmers market today and got some fresh tomatoes, basil, and these things, called garlic scapes. I had never seen them before, but they are basically the garlic tops that are removed to put more of the growth into the bulb. I chopped them and added to some fresh sweet corn.

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon1.jpg

I started some shallots, with butter and then added the scapes and corn. When it was nearly done, I added one of the roasted red peppers.

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon2.jpg

I added a caprese salad.

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon3.jpg

This turned out to be a fine meal.

19-06-11BlackenedSalmon6.jpg

Susan has some pineapple, coconut cupcakes in the oven for later.

Comments

• cougar_bbq
    cougar_bbq Posts: 14
    Options
    Looks amazing. You can also make pesto with the scapes.
  • BobS
    Options
    cougar_bbq wrote:
    Looks amazing. You can also make pesto with the scapes.

I had never seen the scapes before. I thought they were okay, but did not add enough for me to really be excited. I thought they were a bit strong when eaten raw.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Beautiful meal! Need to try blackened salmon some time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That salmon looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    WOW!
    Caprese Salad . . . "totally new concept"

Thank You!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    I've never had blackened salmon before, but am definately going to try it after seeing your post. Great job.
  • RCB
    RCB Posts: 16
    Options
    The Blackened Salmon looks great. I do believe it's easier and more efficient to have the butter on the fish before droppig it on the cast iron top. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    BobS - I had never thought of blackening salmon till somebody did it last week (was that you, too?) I gotta admit, it looks really good and may be on my list of things to try this week.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BobS
    Options
    Griffin wrote:
    BobS - I had never thought of blackening salmon till somebody did it last week (was that you, too?) I gotta admit, it looks really good and may be on my list of things to try this week.

I am not sure if you saw my cook but I did have another blackened salmon post a week ago.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Must have been you, then.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings