Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Okra, Yes, It Works!

Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My friend with a garden gave me some fresh okra. She must live next to a nuclear power plant, cause this was HUGE!

Next to a dinner fork:

P6114206.jpg

I treated it as asparagus and drizzled with olive oil, S&P. One the small at 400 degree dome:

P6114208.jpg

The big one had to stay on longer~ that is a garbanzo bean off to the side, in case you wondered....

P6114213.jpg

Some crash potatoes:

P6114214.jpg

Then, a nice, thick NY strip at 600 dome:

P6114221.jpg

P6114222.jpg

Plated:

P6114225.jpg

The steak...it was great!

P6114231.jpg

Find some fresh okra, and GRILL IT! There was no slime whatsoeva!

P6114227.jpg
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Faith it looks good but how you going to keep the batter on :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Not a fan of okra but you make it look good.
    Now steak and potatoes, Yummy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I likey!!!! :P
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Everything looks great, but now I have two more things I have to try. I printed out the crash potatoes yesterday when somebody mentioned it. Now need to go get some okra.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Looks good, just if you can change the taste of okra.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    ha ha I am with you on that AL.. and the texture...
    But it looks good Faith LOL
  • Seriously, Griffin, the okra was really good. I didnt expect it to be that good.

The potatoes were cooked, smashed, drizzled with EVOO, S&P, parmesan cheese, topped with sour cream for serving. I like them crispy on the bottom.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Hungryman, this was posted for people that actually like okra. I think there are alot of us out there.

I like it fried, and with stewed tomatoes, but grilled ranks right up there.

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Looks good Faith, was the large Okra as tender as the smaller/younger stuff?? :)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Looks wonderful Faith, those taters look so decadent I would fee guilty enough to have to try the okra. In truth, the okra even looks good! That was one veggie that our family never had that I know of. It's probably a good thing, my mother was not very good at cooking vegetables at all, anything else was safe but not the veggies. :)

Blair

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Faith .. something else I have to add to the "to do" list. I'll try anything. The steak and taters look tasty!
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    bravooo
    great job!!
    it looks awesome!!!
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Do you have to cook the chick peas on the side of the fire ring to keep them from falling through the grate? Inquiring minds want to know...
  • Frank, the largest one was edible, but it was not as tender as the smaller ones. The next time I see normal sized okra in the store, I will try those, too, just to compare.

• Slotmercenary, the chickpea was left over from an experiment I tried, before the okra went on. That will be in a separate post.

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    TASTEE lookin vittles there Miss Faith. :)
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Great looking okra. Those skewers are quite nice and look like they have a story.Thanks for sharing.Randy
  • Thanks, Hoss. I know you have okra growing in that big, beautiful garden of yours.

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Yes ma'am,got 1 row about 100 feet long. :)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Good Lord, Faith! Grilled okra?! :ohmy: I'm gonna fix you a batch of egret's fried okra sometime and you'll be a convert forever!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Randy, those skewers are so old, I have no idea where I got them. I do use them alot.

• Ha! Egret. I love fried okra, but wanted to try something NEW for a change! Give it a try, you might like it.

• Capt Frank
    Jan & Pat, our friends that were with us at Melbourne, raise a pretty nice garden and they both love okra. They cut theirs when it is about 4 inches. Don't know if they have ever grilled it.
    I'm going to try some. How do you suppose it would be wrapped in bacon? :) :ohmy:
  • Frank, give bacon a try, and let me know what you think. I like my bacon crispy, so I would partially cook it first.

• Capt Frank
    That is probably a good idea. Sometimes I use microwave bacon, the kind that takes 30-60 seconds to cook, not the fully cooked, 10sec variety that is not refigerated. It works well for bacon wrapped shrimp or scallops, no precooking required. Should work for this also. I will let you know. :)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I did this last year and was very happy with how it came out. It has a "nuttier" flavor than boiled or fried, don't you think?

But I did find you have to eat it relatively quickly after cooking because it looses flavor quickly as it cools.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Chris, it really had a nice flavor. I am interested to try it again on normal sized okra. I threw them back on the egg while the steak was resting, so they were served hot.

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Looks great, Faith! I like okra... :)
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Faith, last year we grilled okra that had marinated for some time in Italian dressing. I am not a huge fan of okra, but this was pretty damn good. It's nice to see someone else out there giving it a go.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great idea Faith!! They really look delish.I'll be looking for some.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE