Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you pay for this forum?

Options
13»

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    i would not
    context is important :)
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Stike...I wish you would just tell us wants on your mind... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

btw...I like you...
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I'm in! I guess 6/15 is not the date. Still here.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hey Bro,

I have a hard time separating what I don't know. I have no understanding of who Miller House is, how they acquired (?) the forum or how BGE is intertwined it all this. I'm just a lowly noob that is grateful as all heck that we are here. In my opinion, if Miller House, who and what ever they may be, need more of anything to make them happy to continue with this forum then I think BGE has the means and the reason to step up to the plate and make it happen. This clunky, stupidly simple old forum works very well. We that participate here due to our love of the BGE and for each other have created one of the greatest forums ever! Whether the powers that be are with Miller House or BGE, we, the active population here have created a rare and wonderful community that I doubt can be duplicated. We have been forced to give up anonymous posting since I landed here and I was sorry to see that much change, it was like loosing some of our childlike innocence that we can never get back. Now to have all this B.S. about change or no more forum make no sense at all to me. It has been said before and I will say it again, if it ain't broke then don't fix it! If maintaining this forum has to rely on my near nonexistent income while some fat cat in Georgia is getting richer then I have a hard time swallowing that. The last thing in the world that I want to see happen is for anything to happen to this forum and the community that we have here. I think it a shame that none of the powers that be don't chime in and let us know what is fact and what is fiction. I don't know if I have seen any facts yet don't want to dismiss it all as fiction and try and log on some day and find it all gone. To pay or not to pay, that is the question. The bottom line as I see it is that BGE would be wise to maintain this forum at what ever the cost, we are a great asset to them and don't have our hands extended expecting anything for our efforts. To charge us would be a big mistake regardless if it is Miller House or BGE. We would be stripped of another little piece of our childlike innocence that we can never get back. Wouldn't we be like the prostitutes paying the johns for THEIR service?

Have a great day my friend,

Blair

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Facebook has a horrible interface, and a lot of people cannot get to the website from work. In addition, others have no desire or intention on setting up a Facebook account for a variety of reasons, and I would hate to exclude them from the gathering.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    Options
    I would think there is big money in the advertising aspect of this. Let's face it, the only reason I have purchased two products from Thermapen and a rig from Ceramic Grill Store is because of the input of all the members. I've only been a member and egger for a little over six months, but I have found my experience here fantastic.

So, yes, I would probably pay some fee but I'm sure there is more money in advertising from the webmaster's viewpoint.

Is there anyone out there with web-advertising experience who can help with that transition or give some consultation?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I can get this abuse other places for a lot less money :P
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Two things: First, if it comes down to it, I would be willing to help financially support a split off of this forum from the BGE Corp. Second, I'm not sure how willing BGE Corp would be willing to do so, given the following trademarks that are posted on their website...

BIG GREEN EGG and EGG are registered trademarks of The Big Green Egg, Inc. EGGhead, EGGheads, EGGfest and Eggcessories are trademarks of The Big Green Egg, Inc. The particular green color and overall configuration of the cooker in such color are also trademarks of The Big Green Egg, Inc.

So, even if we are able to separate this site from the mothership, they may go all legal on us, to get "their" trademarks removed from a forum that is no longer theirs, but is so strongly tied to them.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    if it were not owned by bge and we could be free to say what we want ( :laugh: kinda do that now but keep it low key}. how about free for newbies 1 year, 10 after that for members, and take sponsors, maybe after a year bge will be willing to pay as ONE of the sponsors to advertise, maybe others would want to sponsor with some adds, primo, grill dome, ceramic grill store etc. BIG GREEN EGG: NO ADDS ONE YEAR :whistle: :laugh: for 20 maybe a shirt or hat comes with membership but if it has a bge logo, they better be sending some money and stay out of running the show
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Sure a lot of conjecture and supposition in this thread. Not once have I seen the "Miller's" chime in, nor do I know who they are. All I know is that BGE has the link to this site on their main page with nothing to indicate they are pulling the plug. Where did you get this rumor from anyway?

BGE%252520web.jpg
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I would gladly pay $10 to $25/yr to support the Egghead family forum if it was an independent forum (although now I see Eggheads are BGE corp trademarked).

I am not paying to support a BGE corp forum. I am not real happy with the direction of BGE corp since the ownership change. An immediate $100 price increase on Eggs, big advertising campaigns w/ PBR and Nascar. I liked the old way better, lower prices, word of mouth, good individual dealers, eggfests, and an appreciation of us eggheads.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • ShinAmano
    ShinAmano Posts: 90
    Options
    While I love this forum I would not pay. For one it is probably the worst laid out forum I have ever posted on, the architecture is just archaic.

That said I would miss it as I have picked up some good advice here.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I am with you, the layout of this forum sucks, worst I have ever seen. However, I like the people and content, so I hang out here a lot. Not sure if I would pay for a forum or not. I have bought four eggs, and got another 3 sold to other people, I think I have paid enough.
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Who are the Millers you ask? WOW what a question. They are the purest form of LOVE! Bill Miller's concept is what you see today. It started with him and a few others, getting together at the VFW in Atlanta back in '98 with NO support and NO funding. He researched and found support to start the forum. Bill passed on 2/13/2000. David and Brenda Miller have been responsible for this forum since Bills passing. David has a day job and for the last 11 years, has volunteered his talents, time, and monies to this forum. In 2006, ownership of the domain, transferd to the BGE Corp for zero dollars. That means from a trademark perspective, BGE Corp owns all the content. BGE corp pays Miller House for the server bill and a small fee to do the admin. I pay more to have my lawn mowed than BGE pays Miller House for the work that David does! Brenda, that sweet woman, is the quintessential ambassador for the BGE Corp. She goes to as many fests as she possibly can, all to help promote the BGE. Talk to anyone that has met her. She is a dear, and extremely special woman! Now they are being thrown out with the trash. No thanks, no compensation, no nothing. You ask who are the Millers? They are family!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • oakdaleegger
    Options
    NO!!!
    Great site. Not worth paying for. I've only read a couple of the above posts, but, people would just move to Facebook. The Big Green Facebook page is actually pretty good. Plus it seems that the people that frequent the facebook page don't really care for this site much anyway. This site is good, but there is no way I'd ever pay for it.
  • bubba tim
    Options
    I understand your frustration...and it it shared.. call me..