Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you pay for this forum?

Comments

• Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    What about if we moved this forum to FACEBOOK? All it takes is one person to set up a FB account as a group and then we can contribute as we have in the past....

As for whether I would pay, my husband and I get so much information and enjoyment from this collaboration of friends and fellow cooks, I gotta believe we'd be sending a check asap.

But Facebook could be a viable alternative....
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Ed Fisher has stated publicly on multiple occasions that "Eggheads are our greatest marketing tool".
    What does the typical thread titled "Should I get an Egg" look like? Dozens of replies stating why they shouldnt hesitate another day.
    I don't see BGE pulling anything from this source. I have been wrong before, and maybe this time, but I just don't see it.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Thanks Tim.
    I do understand your views and I'm sure not saying you are wrong wrong.
    It's your money. BGE has always depended on this forum to help sell Eggs and help new users. Shame they would also count on us to fund the forum. That's all Im saying.
    Sounds like Bobby Q might have a good new place to visit.
    I don't care what the name of the forum is.
    There are other ways to keep in touch with the family.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Get rid of a couple of prima donnas who think they're God's gift to Egging, photography and the forum, and I'd pay a bit. Otherwise, no.

Note: Any resemblance to a particular member of this forum is unintentional and completely happenstance.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Photo Egg
    I agree with you 100%. But you would be willing to now pay a fee to help others?
    Just because you enjoy cooking and helping others should not entitle BGE to charge you to do so.
    This whole post is jumping the gun but good to talk about.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    what is being asked is "if this was NOT BIG GREEN EGGS FORUM" would you pay to have it kept going? bge is in no way asking to have it funded. nor is that being implied :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I don't think I would pay BGE but I would certainly pay to keep this group in touch. I really don't believe anything is going to happen tonight but this forum has, as long as I've been around, been at arms length from BGE and people could talk about bad dealers and how to get warranty on legitimate problems etc. It is a big part of my life right or wrong.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Gary the things I like I can view and post to while what I'm not interested in I can ignore. The ones that bother you might be entertaining to others and vise versa. You can't like everyone but it's easy to not respond to the ones that bother you. The egging is what brought me to this forum but the people are what kept me here OT or not.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You have to pay triple at least

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    I guess I read the post wrong.
    "IS THIS FORUM WORTH $10..$15..$25 A YEAR TO BELONG!"

Many claim this forum is not officially a BGE site. This may be true on paper but if BGE does provide funds of any kind or equipment and set rules for content and or have the power to make a phone call and have content removed it is under the control of BGE.

Yes, I would be willing to pay to join Thirdeye's site or Naked Whiz but I would not be willing to pay a fee to any forum controlled by the "company".
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FlaPoolman
    I'll pay quadruple just for that picture Julie has of you :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I'm sorry because I'm a public employee I can't participate in Facebook. I've known of too many people who have lost their jobs or never gotten interviews because of what they posted or what other people have posted on their Facebook pages. Plus their security stinks.
  • FlaPoolman
    I think that's the question Darian. Would any of us be willing to pay to keep the Millers in control of this site rather than corporate having complete control. Some of the best fests I have been to were run by eggers and I thing a corporate structure would be a big mistake. I would pay to keep things the way they are even with the outdated style and poor search features. It's home to me.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i have gotten a couple emails over the years, and phonecalls, when someone has had a problem with me. and it usually ended with a little clearer picture and respect.

if you DO have a problem with someone, you should be man enough to tell them, or man enough to leave it off the forum. but to hint and be specific, without being specific at all, is rather unmanly. if you really think one person is a big problem, be a man about it and be clear.

no one wonders if wess is upset with them, for example. and he always allows them their say, too.

for my part, if they did away with inspecific unclear obtuse whining, and hints and vague allusions to unnamed 'mystery eggers' that were irritating others, i might pay a little toward the forum too.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    "why is it every time i open an OT woosday post i always encounter all sorts of OT photos?!?! i hate this place!" :laugh: :laugh:
  • Village Idiot
    OK, I'll be specific. I was talking about you, a$$hole.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Hey Blair. Please seperate the Big Green Egg Corporation and the Miller House. The Miller House works basicly for cost of running this site (Forum)
    The small amount the the BGE corp pays the Miller House would not pay my monthly food expenses. So the question is raised, why would BGE have you move to a more modern forum? It would now become a profit center where they can sell advertisments and self promote thier products.
    Another way for the Big Green Egg Corporation to enhance thier bottom line. Now don't get me started about mass distribution (HD or Lowes) or IPOs. I can smell this corp's move a mile away! BGE accountants don't care for our family! My 3 cents.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • FlaPoolman
    And I think woosday has been around for more than just a few years. I think a lot of the ot is what keeps people around and available to answer questions.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Nah, I wouldn't give you two cents for this chicken seed forum!! What has it ever done productive for BGE or any of us??! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • stike
    see. that's all it took.

now, i would be offended if you actually contributed anything once in a while and i took you seriously. but i can't remember anything you have brought to the table. i don't mean that you haven't, i just mean it hasn't stuck, and therefore i figure it must be fairly inconsequential.

i do feel badly a little, that you dislike me so strongly, but i do also remember that you are a known whiner and tend to feeling insulted rather quickly. i don't remember ever being a d!ck to you directly, but your sensitivity likely has made you feel it's all been aimed at you perhaps.

but i realize, too, your fits of pique are transitory, and fleeting. you quickly ire, and quickly tire. for ex. I never saw anyone demand to have their handle removed for all time, in perpetuity, and then ten minutes later beg for it back.

hey, i understand that not everyone likes me, but i speak to everyone the same way, whether thy are a garbage man, or the president of a university., i don't couch or whinge or whine. if i am ASKED my opinion (and most of these threads are started by people asking for our opinions) i give it. i

i'll say that i most certainly do not consider myself god's gift to egging. that is pretty foolish, given that i fully acknowledge the ass-kicking my skills would receive going head to head with many of the cooks (and chefs) here. and i also try to acknowledge where it is i have learned whatever i know. i said the other day that anything i know i learned here.

i do what i do, to the best of my ability. i try things that are new because they interest me. i try to share those things. and if someone asks me a question about it, i will give them an answer.

if i err on the side of over explanation, that'd be my preference. rather give more info than let someone go away confused

i also don't generally open my mouth unless i feel like i know what i'm talking about. you can count on one hand the number of brisket answer i have given, and i defer to more than a few folks on pizza esoterica, and about 30 other things i am not expert at. i also post my failings, and speculation about what i might have done wrong and might do better next time.

but woe betide the hapless chap who offers up an "i was told you shouldn't ever do 'x', so don't do it, even though i don't know why..." because i abhor voodoo, witchcraft, and decisions made out of fear.

i am glad you finally got that off your chest, by the way. it doesn't bother me really if someone doesn't like me. i would love it if everyone did, being human and all. but it's unrealistic.

i can truly say that in my entire life, there are two people who i have realized i just simply do not like. and i still find myself attributing that to difference of opinion. i'm sure that in the end they are good people in their own right, and i look on my not liking them as my weakness, not theirs.

if you choose to hate me because i am having a hell of a time here and you are mired in misery, so be it. miserable people will always find a reason to be miserable, and they'll always find someone to blame it on.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    all due respect to you and BGE, no.
    I would not pay money to visit this forum.
    Good people like you and you wife and so many others put so much time and energy into helping others for free. If BGE is not willing to fund this forum we should let it die. This forum helps so many new users and new buyers. I know I never would have purchased my first Egg if it were not for this forum. Now we have 5.
    If BGE can not see the market value of keeping this forum then so be it.
    Why should we do so much of the work for BGE "and" pay to use it? Kind of like paying taxes and then repairing your own streets.
    I agree 100 percent with the above post. I enjoy the forum and can easily afford the money to support it -- but i would never agree to support a basic advertisment for a manufacturer who can easily pay for it while it is a tax write off. There are plenty of other BBQ forums out there and thats where i will go..
  • Village Idiot
    I won't reply to everything you said in your diatribe, because, frankly, I fell asleep a couple of times. I always get amused, though, when people have to resort to argumentum ad hominem. That always tells volumes about their character.

I will offer a couple of thoughts though. If you think I have not contributed to the forum, I'd ask you to look at:

http://willsononline.com/bbq . I posted every one of those cooks on the forum (and more), and most had recipes attached. I challenge you to do the same. BTW, prancing around in your long john underwear with cutsie reindeer antlers on your head might not count as a contribution, but I'm sure you think you excited someone. Correction: I did not post Tacos al Pastor because Beli had already done it and I copied his recipe.

As far as my ID, apparently you've never had your identity stolen and paid tens of thousands of dollars to get your credit score back to normal. I remain very sensitive about that. Give me your credit card number and your SSNO, and I'll take you on a ride you'll never forget. I'm sure you know what actually happened, but are determined to skew the facts to make it look bad. You try very hard at that. There was a certain member that was causing quite a bit of disturbance in the forum. He was very smart and able to sign on as someone else when he wanted. He signed on as Village Idiot several times (stolen ID). I did not want him to use my ID and have people think I was saying the things he was saying, so I asked the moderators to discontinue my handle. After he was banned, about 3 or 4 weeks later, I asked to have it reinstated.

I had no quarrel with you before today, but you've been ragging on me and quite a few others in appointing yourself as forum policeman. I cannot understand why you get such joy out of that.

As far as the person or persons I was really talking about, I have only confronted them directly and not in the forum. I think my statements could have applied to a number of people. Confronting someone on the forum is either an immature or alcoholic attempt to make yourself look good and the other person look bad. I'd suggest that most of the people don't care.

For that reason, if you want to continue this, email me. Otherwise, stfu.gif

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Would I pay for this forum? Damned right I would!
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    I wonder how much those lighted signs in ATL cost per month? I wonder if those pretty signs sold more eggs than this forum. If BGE pulls the money train off the track here, I would need think about joining.
    The point here is that I believe this forum is a better tool than signs in a place where people don't really want to be. I noticed them last week when I transferred through ATL.
  • Wow this post is kind of like the scene in anchorman when the tv stations get into the street brawl and Ron says "wow that got out of hand quickly!?!". I'v been a lurker here for a couple of years and only posted a few times but I don't think we should have to pay bge to keep it going. If they are going to pull money to the people that run this forum I really think they will lose alot of sales. This forum is the best thing they have even if or if not "official mothership"run. There sales will drop if this dissapers.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    YES, as long as it is free from the New Wall Street Wacos that want to spend BIG $$$ on adv. in asst. mags, ie. Good Housekeeping etc.
    In order to adv. it takes hugh bottom line $$$$. Thus the cost of the products are passed along to the customers. If the mothership honchos can prove me wrong feel free to try via your Pettyfogging, thats a big speak lawyer word BS'ing for several hours and talking all around something with out answering a DIRECT question. No answer, No Balls. The Miller family rules. :):):) To Y'all. R.
    PS. as always Word of Mouth is, and has always been the the best form of Adv.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    I've only seen it in text messaging, but I think you may have crossed into double post territory ;)
    context is important :)
  • Photo Egg
    Hey Pat,
    I like the forum we use now just fine but I don't believe the Millers are in control. I believe BGE still holds the cards and sets the rules and has control when they feel the need to have posts removed and such.
    I have no problem with this at all if the forum is free to use. If I don't like the rules I don't have to visit.
    Sounds like BobbyQ will have a forum up soon.
    I know there are a few nice BBQ forums out here to visit.
    I still think this post is jumping the gun.
    Take care and stay cool.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    If BGE is giving any money to the Miller House you can not say they are separate and BGE still pulls the strings. The Miller House may not be making the amount of money you feel is fair but they are not being forced to do so. They have a choice. And this might be what we are about see. This entire post is speculation at this point but if BGE could make us pay to use this forum they might give it a go if we are willing.
    I have no problem with BGE or the Miller House setting the rules as long as I don't have to pay for the use. As many others have stated I like helping Eggers as many of you did for me in the past and still do today.
    There are many social forums to keep up with friends and it's easy to set up a blog for special events.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Sure would. I would have been lost trying to cook on the EGG when I first got it without the forum. I still would kinda be lost when trying new things on the EGG without this forum search tool.