Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second cook...already broke it

2»

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Oh contrare. Some of them are ill fitting and come off just from opening the dome no matter how they are aligned.
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    RRP wrote:
    With all this chatter I can't believe nobody has offered the hint on how to prevent it from falling off! You merely line up the bolts to be perpendicular to the bracket across the back. No matter how hard or fast you throw open the dome the daisy will NEVER fall off or even change the opening you have it set at - assuming your egg is not on a 15° backward slopping slop that is!

This also keeps your vent set at the same position after opening and closing the dome.

If you've ever had the vent open up and you come back to find briquets on the top of your grill because the egg temp got too high...
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I have purchased 6 BGE's.Four of them were new(medium,small,large,mini),2 of them were used(XL,small).I have never dropped a top.You may be right Ron,some of the tops may not fit well,but even my mini,the worst fitting top of them all(of mine),will stay put if I set the dfmt properly.If any of my tops fell off just from opening them,I would talk to my dealer and get it straightened out.Just sayin.......
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Not on my Eggs. BGE had a run a couple years ago where they were so bad they came off no matter the alignment. I experienced it myself when cooking in Tucker, not hearsay.
    What am I a friggin rookie? :lol:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I thought so :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Bacchus wrote:
    What am I a friggin rookie? :lol:

Hahaha! Good one, Ron. :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Hold my wine glass while I pee on your feet.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You have done that before B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

yup, got that the DFMT broke... another though use an aluminum foil lining (rope sort of). BTW JB Weld just might allow putting things back together again.

GG
  • Bacchus
    Need to do it again. When you flying south again Mickey?
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I made a liner with some extra nomex on both the daisy wheel and the green top. Works like a charm!

Mine fell off the first time I used it and was able to fix it with that 'welding' glue....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If I were you, I would go back to the dealer and ask for a free DFMT since you had to make 5 trips! Or...at least a free tube of JB weld ;)

They definitely owe you a rain cap. I always try to put it on after I finish. It helps get the fire out sooner...and it keeps the rain out.

I think positioning the daisy wheel with the pivot towards the front is mainly intended to keep vent opening 'bout the same. However, I can see how it might help it from falling off. If the top wheel swings open that might give the entire the top a little extra momentum to jump off.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    The daisy doesn't get as hot as the dome anyway. It will be fine.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    ironicly I threw the lid up to check on some fish tonight and for the first time my daisy dome fell off :ohmy: but happily no casualties to report and chalked it up to raised the lid a leetle to fast :laugh:
    DSC03622.jpg
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    The DFMT on my medium is really loose. It doesn't matter how I have the screws aligned ... when I open the dome, the sucker spins around like a top. I'm lucky I haven't dropped it, yet.

The plan is to clean it up and run a band of Nomex gasket around the inside, hoping to get a tighter fit.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • SomedayMommy
    SomedayMommy Posts: 199
    Only when I seared some steaks did I leave the daisy wheel off. I use it as my temp control. How do you not get like 500+ degree temps...? Do you keep the lower vent totally closed?
  • SomedayMommy
    SomedayMommy Posts: 199
    This is precisely what I do. And I put gasket material around the inside as well...
  • Carolina Q
    Stacie, I get whatever temp I want by adjusting the bottom vent only. Not closed all the way though - you need airflow. On my large, with nothing on top, the lower vent open about 3/4" or so (varies) and the spark screen in place, I get 350°. Different lumps, different eggs, how clogged the fire grate is, amount of ash buildup, probably other parameters as well, could change that opening, but that should get you close.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    200° and no DFMT will work. Just restrict the lower vent to hold the temperature.

GG
  • Carolina Q
    no kidding? I cook most things at either 250° or 350 and up. Never tried a 200° cook and wouldn't have thought to do it without the daisy.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub

I have gone as low as 175­° but had to use the Stoker to hold it there. I need low temperatures when making summer sausage and moving through the heat stages.

sausage_summer.jpg

• CaptHowdy
    CaptHowdy Posts: 45
    SmokeyPitt wrote:
    If I were you, I would go back to the dealer and ask for a free DFMT since you had to make 5 trips! Or...at least a free tube of JB weld ;)

They definitely owe you a rain cap. I always try to put it on after I finish. It helps get the fire out sooner...and it keeps the rain out.

I think positioning the daisy wheel with the pivot towards the front is mainly intended to keep vent opening 'bout the same. However, I can see how it might help it from falling off. If the top wheel swings open that might give the entire the top a little extra momentum to jump off.

That wasn't me that had to make that many trips...it was someone else in the thread. The only thing my dealer forgot to give me was the feet.
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    So with a name like Cpt Howdie...What are You doing tomorrow at 6? :ohmy:
  • CaptHowdy
    CaptHowdy Posts: 45
    dugdbug wrote:
    So with a name like Cpt Howdie...What are You doing tomorrow at 6? :ohmy:

I'll be BBQ'in.....what else :evil: