Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second cook...already broke it

Options
CaptHowdy
CaptHowdy Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I KNEW I was going to forget and open the dome and let the daisy wheel fall off one of these times. I didn't think it would be the second time I used it though lol. Now it's got a nice big crack in it. :ohmy:

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Hopefully the crack is small enoguh that it still functions fine. In the big picture it's not a big deal, at least the ceramic is all intact.
    Personally I think it is crappy that many of the newer eggs have this issue. It shouldnt come off just by opening the dome. I understand the reasoning, still think it is crappy.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

For folks with loose DFMT use some gasket material or go buy some thick felt and some silicone and make a 'liner'.

The felt will be a problem if one puts the DFMT inside the egg when shutting it down.

I put some on all my ceramic caps so they won't fall off. My DFMT fit well and didn't need it.

gasket4.jpg

GG
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    My ceramic one fits pretty snug, it would be harder to get it to fall off. The one I broke is cast iron, right?
  • Bacchus
    Options
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    It doesn't seem to be causing to much trouble (the crack). But I guess we'll see when I try to keep a lower temperature for a steady time. Wonder if there is a product out there that I can close up the crack with that will withstand the heat?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    FlaPoolman wrote:
    JB Weld

That was exactly what I was thinking about but had never used it on cast iron. Thanks.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    used it on a DFMT broken ear 2 years ago and it's still holding
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I forget what the max temp for JB Weld is, but remember, you don't need the DFMT for most cooks. The only time I use mine is when I'm doing a lo n slow cook at 250°. Otherwise, the top is wide open. Always.

Pretty sure JBW will handle 250° dome. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CaptHowdy
    Options
    Ok stupid question alert!! What is DFMT?
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    The cast iron "dual function metal top"
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Really? I have never cooked anything with the top wide open, even stuff I've cooked at high high temps. I always use the daisy wheel.
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    FlaPoolman wrote:
    The cast iron "dual function metal top"

Thank you. I searched for dfmt and nothing came up.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Wait, "ceramic cap"? Was I supposed to get something like that with my Large?
    I bought my Egg from a Hardware store having a Grand Opening; they missed giving me a few parts (four return trips!) and even had assembled the Egg poorly (almost dropped the bottom out of the truck because of that).
    What does a ceramic cap buy me that the cast-iron thingie doesn't?

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Yes, you should have gotten a ceramic cap that is made out of the same green ceramic as the egg. You put it on at the end of the cook to put the fire out quickly and conserve lump.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    You can restrict air flow enough with the lower vent to control temp, with a possible exception of sub 300deg's. The early generation Eggs didn't have Daisy Wheels, only the cap. One could sort of prop it on top half way for lo/slo cooking.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You don't need it. I always cook 350° and up without it. If you close the lower vent enough, you'll be fine. And no risk of the DFMT falling off. I've never tried it with a 250° cook. Maybe it would even work for that, but I have my doubts.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I believe the ceramic rain cap was in the same box as the three ceramic feet. I could be remembering it wrong, though.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Pat. Gotta love acronyms!! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    With all this chatter I can't believe nobody has offered the hint on how to prevent it from falling off! You merely line up the bolts to be perpendicular to the bracket across the back. No matter how hard or fast you throw open the dome the daisy will NEVER fall off or even change the opening you have it set at - assuming your egg is not on a 15° backward slopping slop that is!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    ShedFarm wrote:
    I believe the ceramic rain cap was in the same box as the three ceramic feet. I could be remembering it wrong, though.

Wait a minute, was I supposed to get ceramic feet?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    LOL, I would have mentioned it, Ron, but I couldn't figure out how to describe it without being as confusing as you were! :laugh:

There are pics here somewhere. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    What size egg did you get?The feet do not come with the mini or XL
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I think you're right.
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    "Sparky" wrote:
    What size egg did you get?The feet do not come with the mini or XL

I got the Large
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I didn't know that. Mine never comes off. So I had to go outside and check that out just now. I'm not doubting you, but I can't figure out why it would make a dif to put it on that way. Since mine never falls off anyway, I can't test your theory out, but I am curious as to what it is about that position that makes the difference.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I'm not too impressed with your dealer!
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Well you got most of it anyway :laugh: sounds like you need a 5'th trip to your dealer
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    It's not a theory - it's a fact! :laugh:
    Here...
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwsetting
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    You should have got the feet then,(unless they changed something without telling me) :lol: While I have never dropped a top,I agree with RRP.Make sure that the screw in the dfmt is facing the front of the egg.That way,the daisy wheel can't spin when you open the dome.This is the best pic that I could find....

DSC_0037-2.jpg