Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Kindle vs. Nook?

TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was set on a Kindle, but now woot has a Nook on sale. Anyone want to weigh in?
Thanks!

Comments

• Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    My mother has a Kindle and I have a color Nook.

The Kindle is great for her. She's a reader and not much of a techie. The Kindle is strictly for reading books - if you also like to read magazines and include the photo sections of any books you are interested in - you'll want to consider the Color Nook. Plus the color Nook comes with some games (Chess, Crosswords and Soduko) right out of the box as well as Pandora (Internet radio).

The price difference is about $100 (Color Nook is $249), but the features and functionality that Barnes and Noble is promising in the near future, will make the color Nook more like a true tablet computer. It runs on the Android processing system and the promise is that games and other apps available on the Android market will soon be available for purchase on the Nook.

So really, you need to decide if you want it only to read, or if you want something that is a little more rounded in terms of the functionality.

My .02.

Thanks for listening.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    neither

I retired my kindle for the iphone and ipad, just use the kindle app. And the Barnes and Noble app, and tons of other ereader apps.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I have a kindle and love it, but I only use it as a reader. I did hear on the news yesterday that a new cheaper kindle is about to be released, but it will have ads on it that you will have to ignore. Just a thought if price is a concern.

Oh, and a thumbs up for service in my book, I dropped my kindle pretty bad and it quit working. They sent me a new one next day delivery no questions asked. Just had to send the old one back within one month in a supplied pre-paid envelope.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    I think reading on the iPhone is a little tough, personally. I'd love an iPad, but the price is definitely higher than either the Kindle or the Nook.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    my son bought nook ,, hacked it and now it is a fully functional android tablet sans phone capability and he downloaded the kindle app.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    I like my Nook and you can go in to a Barnes and Noble and read books for free.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Yeah I heard you can hack the color nook because like Bulldog Mom said it is the Android system and should have tons of tablet like features through fireware updates in the future.
  • I see the tablet/Ipadesque tech getting so much better and cheaper in the future that I think I would only use this thing for reading.

I ideally it would be nice to have an all encompassing unit, like my phone has merged into my netbook/mp3 player/communication device. So the future is ripe with the endless possibilities of ereaders and tablet pc orgies.

At the end of the day I am a stubborn cheap prick but I won't the most bang for my buck.

Also I should note that this is for my wife mostly, so eventually I will get a new one for myself that is clearly much better!
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    I use a Sony Ereader..

Check with your local library because a lot of them have ebooks you can checkout for free.

You can do that on a Sony, Nook but not a Kindle.

Also if you like to read you can download ebooks from a lot of different sites so format is important.

Kindle you are stuck with their format..

Sony can read a lot of formats and Nook is good about that too.
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    I have a nook and bought a nook for my wife. I like the fact I can change batteries and add memory to mine. I didn't want to be limited to just buying books from Amazon either. So far, no problems and I read constantly. B&N have a freebie Friday for a selection and if you use it in one of thier stores they sometimes have other goodies.
  • I would say use an iPad with a Kindle app. But to answer your question directly, Kindle. Barnes and Noble has had financial troubles just like Borders. Amazon is here to stay. Brick and mortar stores may at some point become obsolete. Look at Blockbuster, who would have guessed 10 years ago they would disappear.
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    The Nook that Woot has on sale today is a refurbished unit, not new. If this is a gift for a special occastion do you want to be giving her a used item with perhaps a limited warrenty?

You also have to consider where she will be doing most of her reading. I have both an IPad and a Kindle and I love the Kindle for reading outside in the sun as it has far less screen glare. Also the IPad is backlight screen which over time does tend to tire the eyes more than the screen used by the Kindle. Just my $.02. Jer
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Assuming you want a book reader and not a tablet, I've used both Kindle and Nook and prefer the Kindle. Personally, what I like a lot is the fact that I can download books on my Kindle anywhere you have a cell signal vs. needing wifi. But you really need to check all the features and see how you are going to want to use it and make the best choice.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Nook girl here :) tried both and I went with the Nook. just my personal preference. I wanted it to read and that was it I do nto have the color and if I was getting a new one today I still would not. I just want to read books LOL I have my net book and laptop and droid phone for everything else. I knew I did not want back lit. I work on the pc quite a bit and did not need more eye strain or the glare. it uses Epub files and you can get those through about any site that has ebooks. and I liked that you could share a book you got through B&N once with anyone that had email.I liked the screen size and weight. you also can download books anytime and anywhere with the nook. plus read any book they have if you are in a B&N store. had it about 9 months and had a small rack come on one side i called tech support and three days later i had a new one in the mail and a prepaid postage to return he old one. had another time I had to call tech support and they were fast and helpful and talked simple to a non tech person LOL My only regret is I waited so long to just bite the bullet and get it. I have a couple friends with Kindles and they love those too. not really much diff between them. I just liked how the face of the Nook is set up it is all screen.
    If you have an ebook reader and are looking for a great source for books:
    http://ebookalliance.net/
    I have the life time and love it abut anything you are looking for in fiction and a good assortment of non fiction and growing fast.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    +1 to the Kindle app on the iPad. I find it a very acceptable reader, and can use the iPad for so much more.
  • As much as I liked the kindle I decided to go with the nook. My reasons were:
    Replaceable battery
    E-pub file support plenty of free books on this open format
    Ability to Root the nook (jailbreak for added features)
    I can tether my nook to my jailbroken iPhone not sure if kindle can do this so I am not restricted to just wi-fi
    I liked the contrast a little better on the nook

You wii be happy with either one as my iPad is almost unreadable in direct sunlight ( assuming you do not get the color nook as you will have the same sunlight problem)
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Have had great experience with Nook. No complaints.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    I have the nook. When I bought it, I asked the salesman why it was supposedly better than the Kindle....his answer......with a kindle you can only get books from Amazon. I like being able to buy a book from any online source with my nook.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    My wife is an avid reader. Me it is mostly to computer related books. My reading mostly consists of going to the index and finding what I want or using google for tech. type info. I would rather get lost in a movie than take the time to read. I have not developed a good reading skill over the years.

The first e-reader I looked at readers was when my daughter got a Kindle and decided to get one for my wife... but I decided to check some other readers out. I ended up getting my wife a b/w Nook and later my other daughter got a off brand non BN color 'nook'.

I decided against the Kindle for several reasons. No memory expansion. Like apple products, when the battery goes out sent in the whole unit. The biggest reason against the Kindle was it couldn't read the books from the library. If they corrected that one problem it would be more desirable for me.

The B/W Nook. Great light weight and very easy to read other than very low light situations, then a light in ended. I like being able to add memory and remove memory if desired. The battery is an easy slip in and out design. The long battery life (not a lot different then the Kindle).

The Color Nook. It is back light so reading in day is great as well as ease of reading in low light environment.

BN products can be loaned with other users and devises, that is if the author/publisher allows that feature. Books can be borrowed from the public library.

There were/are rumors that BN is in financial trouble which I have no idea if that is a fact or not, nevertheless it is touted by Kindle users.

As I understand the licensing when a BN book is bought the purchaser owns the book. Kindle on the other hand, as I understand and have heard, leases (or such) the rights to use the book. One does not own the book. An example, last year Kindle users lost access to a publishers works due to a contract conflict with Kindle and the publisher. Folks couldn't access the works they had 'purchased'. It was said the problem was resolved within a few weeks and the users had access back to those books once again. Evidently, Kindle books can turn on and off the the ability to read their products. All that is third hand and I have not attempted to verify the validity so take it for what it's worth.

After seeing using my daughters color 'nook' I want to get one for my wife at some point in time.

I am really intrigued that the nook can be hacked. I am also interested that BN will be releasing new firmware for the color nook.

Not a huge deal, so far there is no sales tax on Amazon books. If BN is in your state then sales tax will be added.

The downloading of Amazon books and BN books is about the same, very easy and can be done from anywhere if you have the 3G access. Nook has a lower priced model that needs wireless or direct connection to download books, other than that the Nooks are the same. We decided to the the least expensive Nook and need to be at a hotspot, our home internet or at BN to download books. The savings was worth it for us.

At some point in time I will buy my wife the color nook due to the ease of reading in low light.

As far as the tablets/ipads, the disadvantage is they don't have the 'E INK' capability. If you are not sure what E INK is wiki it.

Hope some of this beneficial.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    That is absolutely incorrect information. You can get kindle books from anywhere and download a free converter to use just about any format on the kindle.

I've only bought maybe 2-3 books from Amazon yet have literally hundreds on my device and in my library on the PC.
  • Fidel
    Kindle works just about anywhere (I think whispernet piggybacks on the 3G networks, but not sure).

Kindle battery lasts a month between charges if you keep the wireless off except when needed to download books.

Kindle works with epub, pdf, and just about any other e-book format if you use a freeware converter/library manager like Calibre.
  • Fidel
    I've had my Kindle for a couple years. It's terrific. So is the nook, so are most of the other readers.

The misinformation about the kindle in many of these posts is shocking, as a kindle owner I'll offer a few clarifications:

1. You are NOT stuck buying books from Amazon.
    2. You can read many formats natively on the kindle and format the others to kindle using a freeware download that is simple to use.
    3. You will never, ever have any reason to expand the memory on the kindle. You can keeps hundreds and hundreds of books on it, and an infinite number on your PC in a library. Moving them is as easy as drag-and-drop file movement on your computer. The kindle is seen as another drive.
    4. Battery life is terrific. Well over a month between charges, so battery replacement, while not an end-user task, is also not something you would ever have to do.
    5. The kindle can be read in low light very easily and in the brightest of direct sunlight with no glare. The contrast and font size are all easily changed with a couple buttons.
    6. Amazon, like B&N, has a huge section of free e-books that is changed each month. One-click download direct to the device, no need to tether to the PC.
    7. Amazon connects to whispernet just about anywhere and there is no recurring charge or subscription fees for it.

I could go on and on, but in the end, pick the device that feels best in your hands and looks best to your eyes. They all perform very well and I'm pretty sure they will all satisfy your needs.
  • Fidel
    I'll second the ebookalliance

Julie turned me on to it about a year ago and they are terrific. I've downloaded hundreds of books from them. Well worth the investment.
  • I have an iPad, and iPhone, and recently added a Kindle after reading on the Kindle app on the Apple products.

I now do almost all of my reading on the Kindle. The eInk is soooooo much easier to read on than either of the LCD based readers in my mind. I can read outside (tough to do on an LCD, and the battery consumption is far superior I read 6 books on the Kindle before I had to recharge it the 1st time. That was a huge benefit for me. Additionally, I find it a lot easier on the eyes than the LCD. I was having to stop after an hour or so before the Kindle. Now I can read as long as I like, the Kindle screen looks almost just like a piece of paper.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Wow, I have a Kindle and didn't know that. Do you have a specific site you like best besides Amazon? Thanks for the heads up.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Fidel
    I use Calibre for the conversion and library management.

The books I download from ebookalliance.net but right now they are in between payment processors and are not taking new members. I think it is about $10 a month for unlimited downloads.
  • I have the Kindle DX...which is the largest Kindle offers...SWOKLA Jerry bought it for me as birthday gift in 2010..

Most everything has already been said that I love about the Kindle.

I have bought approx 5 books just cause I wanted them :P I have a total of 255 books..yup..that means just that..I have acquired 250 FREE in less than a year! If the book is audible I can choose either male/female to read slow/normal/fast to me.

There are local and international newspapers, magazines, and blogs as well as books to download.

It uses 3G network to download anywhere as well as any of my gmail accounts...I can browse the internet and listen to mp3 songs that I transferred from my music library on computer.

It also stores any pdf files so I have several knitting patterns on my Kindle as well ;)

I have not used the free format conversion yet but I hear it's great from my oldest son, 33, who also researched both Nook/Kindle and chose the Kindle for himself..he is VERY techy..taught me everything I know B)

I have found that I am reading more and loving it! So this is my .02
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Stop thinking about things and please just repeat what the saleman told you

Makes things much easier
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Depends on your eyes and your use. I use a Kindle..a lot. My eyes never hurt. I can't do that with my Xoom, a laptop, or a PC. Despite having super-high res in all three, it is still hard on your eyes. A Kindle is like reading a book. You need a light when it gets dark. We have 5 users on our Kindle account. We buy one book and all 5 can download the same one. That's been great for us given 2 are in Texas, 1 in Oklahoma, 1 in Australia, and 1 in Israel. The Nook does the same thing to my eyes that the computers do. If you do mostly magazines or things with photos, you may consider a Nook. Otherwise, a Kindle for sure. TONS of freebie stuff out there also and programs to convert different formats to Kindle if one isn't available.

mShark
  • I have to agree fully with Fidel and all of his statements. I've owned the Kindle for almost 2 years now, and just got my wife the new one Christmas. As strictly an e-reader, it is by far the most supported and the company is going nowhere.

Changeable battery? Like Fidel said, not necessary. I go offshore for a month at a time and only once have I had to charge it here, ONCE (reading 3-4 hours a day). These e-readers simply don't use much battery. Once a page is set in the electronic ink, it is not using any batteries. In other words, the battery is only used to change pages so the thing lasts FOREVER.

I too have used Calibre, and have downloaded plenty of books online, although most of my books I purchased from Amazon for between $7.99 - $9.99. But if you are a reader, you're used to paying much more than that.

The new Kindle is $114, which is dirt cheap. Yes it has ads when your Kindle is asleep or at the bottom of it in the main menu, but NOT WHILE YOU ARE READING. I actually may be getting one for myself to upgrade my old one and get the new case with the light (which is very nice).