Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

global warming

Options

Comments

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    12-12-12 is coming :)
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    "Of course it is real, what are you, stupid?" (Al Gore, Portland, Oregon, 2006) :S :pinch: :ermm:

Great book on subject:
    Climate Confusion, Roy W. Spencer, 2008.

Now where is my Hockey Stick????!!!! AL!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    First of all - weather is not climate. Climate is global conditions over time, not how cold it is in your back yard right now. The blizzard that blanketed half the US is no more an indicator of climate than the fact that LA hit 115°F last summer of that a good chunk of Russia burned under drought.

Second, here's what the smart folks have to say about the situation:
    http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/
    2010 was the warmest year globally since records began in 1880.

In September, 2010, for the first time in recorded history, there was open water all the way around the northern ice pack and both the Northwest Passage over the top of Canada and the Northern Sea Route over Russia were navigable.

Finally - global warming is very, scientifically, measurably, real. Does human behavior cause global warming, maybe. Does it have a significant impact on it, certainly.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ben,

You've obviously never had LCs' Gator Ceviche'. :whistle:

The BOMB!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I am in AZRP's camp. I think Randy has hit the nail on the head.

Follow the money...

Just one example. Read up on egor's journey after he and Clinton left the White House. There was an article earlier this month titled "egor (Al Gore) could become world's first carbon billionaire".

As it appears at this time 'clean air/carbon tax/clean energy' is going to be the next financial revolution and this is where the financial opportunity is going to be.

Hoax or no hoax, people are going to use whatever weather situation, world events or whatever they can to influence public sentiment to their own power gain and or financial gain.

Kent
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    these are the same type smart folks that cant make up their mind if eating eggs is healthy or not :laugh: back 200 bc the north american indians were burning down forests to help grow more fruit and nut trees. big carbon footprint, civilization ended as we know it :whistle: :laugh: wonder if they stopped because of global warming or the impending ice age
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Well said. In life and politics....always follow the money....its one true golden rule.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    No one can argue the earth has and will continue to heat and cool. Looking at weather records that date back only 130 years is not an effective sample. My argument is that man has very little effect on earth's climate. However, there are plenty of scientists' whose funding (i.e., livliehood) depends on going down that road as well as plenty of nonscientists (i.e., Al Gore, et al) who stand to make a nice living. Personally I subscribe to the science that the sun has a much more critical impact on our climate on Earth than man could ever have. At last check man has not had much luck influencing the sun. Now on to more important thoughts such as what to put on the egg tonight.
  • Davekatz
    Options
    No, I really doubt that climatologists would have any advice on dietary issues ;).
  • fishlessman
    Options
    guess they werent qualified to go to the egg decision making class and there were more openings in the ... the worlds going to end class
    fukahwee maine

• Davekatz
    Options
    True, and in that case I would tend to be a bit more suspicious of the (heavily subsidized) multi-national, multi-gazillion dollar petroleum industry.
  • Davekatz
    Options
    Oh, the world isn't going to end for a VERY long time. We might end, but the world will do just fine. ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    and any religion
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Davekatz
    Options
    Amen!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I'm late climbing on the box since I've been gone this morning, but I do NOT believe in global warming! It's BS!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    No, a hoax is a harmless little prank played by someone who wants to see others make fools of themselves. Man-made global warming is a fraud being perpetrated by a relatively small band of people for enormous gain, both in terms of money and political power.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Ripnem wrote:
    Ben,

You've obviously never had LCs' Gator Ceviche'. :whistle:

The BOMB!

I certainly wouldn't object to being proven wrong. Yum.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    so far its 90 percent in favor of hoax/fraud/scam and 10 percent for global warming :whistle: hope the ten percent are right because the info we obtain now will help stall that impending ice age in a millennium....and you know how much eggheads seem to hate the cold
    fukahwee maine

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that the 90% also don't approve of our President. :whistle:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    well, i dont, didnt with the last three either :laugh: :laugh: bunch of dummies. the whole systems broken. :ermm:
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    Egypt's is a system that is broken.

any chance we can get back to food?
    :laugh:

i find it's not other people's opinions i disrespect, it's their disrespect for other's opinions that i, well, disrespect.

all i know is i don't know. i wish i was as smart as some others, and i could just say that i knew for sure

i have to admit, though, that this isn't exactly the first place i would come to if i wanted a reasoned discussion for anything. i'm sorry. this is where i come to discuss cooking food.

even then, it can be hit or miss whether the room is fully engaged...
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Now this will be a long post...should make for an interesting afteroon
  • fishlessman
    Options
    our systems broke too, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: whos looking for reasoned discussion. no bickering in the forum this year, its unnatural, seems wrong :laugh: :laugh: i miss it :)
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    well then take your d!ck out and really get it going.

i'll start:

"religion is for the weak": discuss
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Stike, talk about thin ice! :ermm:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    stike is the antichrist, lets throw rocks at him :woohoo: :woohoo: then we march to dc
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    welli guess i wonder how you people get to decide which group we alienate next...

should we dial it back, but still enough so that we set one portion of the forum against the another?

i'm not sure how we are supposed to decide which members here are idiots or not. apparently we have a good start with the global warming thing.

it's been settled by the crowd here that global warming or climate change isn't happening, or if it is, it's not happening because of us, or if we are part of the problem we at least didn't cause all of it. (i think that's how it has shaken out here, perhaps we need a resolution drawn up?). and it's also clear that anyone not in agreement with that is obviously an idiot, bcause the tone isn't one of discussion, it's one of how obvious it is, and how sure we are. ergo, those not necessarily as sure or in agreement are lacking.

so with that answered, i think we could really start cleaning house.

i offered religion. but we can find another topic if you don't have what it takes for that one.

let's smoke out the non-believers and mock them too. or, if the non-believers are in the majority, we can run the believers out. or at least make them uncomfortable.

equal opportunity belittlement.
  • stike
    Options
    go ahead. please do.

let he who is incapable of seeing both sides of an issue throw the first stone. that's about all it takes.
  • hornhonk
    Options
    What the heck..let's all get stoned! :woohoo:
  • stike
    Options
    i'm betting that's half the problem.

why study hard in school when we can get baked. :laugh: