Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little Griddle Kettle-Q and CGS Adjustable Rig

Options
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For any of you that either have or may purchase a Kettle-Q from the Little Griddle company......

I received the Kettle-Q for a Christmas gift and one of the very first things I attempted to do was to see if the Kettle-Q would fit inside the A/R. The cooking level was too low for me with the Kettle-Q just sitting on the grid at the original BGE level on the large. I am so used to cooking raised grid on the A/R that I really wanted to use the two in tandem. After a cursory try right after Christmas, I gave up thinking that the Kettle-Q was just too big to fit inside the rig. Well after another try today, I got it to go. It is a SNUG fit, but it will work and just as important, the dome will still close.

I have really enjoyed using the new Kettle-Q and this revelation makes it even easier and more convenient to use.

A few pics for illustration:
110-1051_IMG.jpg

110-1053_IMG.jpg

110-1052_IMG.jpg

One other thing that Tom Vogds of CGS pointed out to me is that the stainless steel used in the kettle-Q is grade 430 and WILL rust if left in the elements, so if you have or plan to get one, clean & dry it after each use and keep it out of the elements.

Oh yes, I still cook on the grid too....Number #1 son is home from Pitt this weekend, so some baby-backs and some of Giada's Mac&Cheese later today.
110-1054_IMG.jpg

Mark

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That's cool Marc! Might be time to get an adjustable rig. :laugh: Enjoy the boy time and your meal.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Molly, if you don't have one yet, you are WAY overdue. I have two now, one for each large and Tom's new oval ceramic stones are the cat's meow for ribs, brisket and baking bread. ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I almost bought one when they finally arrived a couple months ago but decided to wait on the reviews from the early adopters. I like the idea but don't know how much I would use it on the large.

I wish they'd make one for the small since that is my travel/camping egg and where the griddle would really get some use.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    It works fine on the small, you just can't close the dome, so you really have to watch you temps and your food. On the large, I keep the dome and lower vents set for 250 which end up giving me about 300 because of opening and closing the dome all the time. On the small, the kettle-Q covers the entire grid, but the slotted vents in the side of the Kettle-Q allow for draft. Honestly Rod, this thing only has about 1.25 square feet of cooking surface as it is. Anything smaller would be a waste of time and material.

Mark
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Mark,

IMG_0118.jpg

As you know I followed Spring Chicken years back and bought the squarish Griddle-Q. What works for me since my shape probably lets more air in to the coals than your round one - and is the same method I use when I wok. That is to get my dome to 275 to 300 and then close the bottom vent entirely. I seem to keep a constant temp in my griddle and wok that way. One thing I learned is to not let the Griddle-Q rip roaring hot and 300 is ideal!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.