Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mattress questions

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I know recently there was a converation about tempurpedic and many chimed in with positive feedback....I'm possibly considering a purchase in the near future and would like to know what your thoughts might be between the tempurpedic and the sleep number bed...lookin for both good and bad...been sleeping on a waterbed almost my entire life..Sally wants a change...BTW..I would be looking to get just the mattress and put in my waterbed frame...Thanks..

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Wess,

Can't help you with the sleep number but the Tempurpedic is the best I have ever had. I had a waterbed in the early seventies but don't remember sleeping on it ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WessB
    Options
    LOL...I hear ya....we have a rather expensive waterbed mattress and it absolutely does not have waves...my fat ass might make one ripple go across the bed 1 time...Thanks for the input..
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Bought our first Tempurpedic about 2 years ago and I don't think I have waked up with a sore back a single day since then. I used to have to stretch out my back many mornings prior to the Tempurpedic. My daughter got a number bed and she loves hers. It was a tough decision for us. I'll bet you will be pleased with either one over a conventional mattress.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Wess,

Have you gained weight? I kinda thought it was cute :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WessB
    Options
    Thanks Richard...that was a lot of reading....but informative..
  • WessB
    Options
    Explaained it to Nature Boy when he asked about retirement...I said retirement should be X rated, as I think my shirt size has increased to 2X...LOL
  • WessB
    Options
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Nowq that you are retarded, I mean retired, you have lost of spare time I hear!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Richard,

Nice spelling dude! What time did you start this morning? I know...pot...black :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Wess, I was part of the last mattress discussion. What we ended up doing was buying a 3 inch thick pillow top pad for our bed. I figured I'd pay a couple hundred bucks to see what a pillowtop felt like. If it didn't work..oh, well. Better than a couple grand. I just put it on top of our existing mattress and it is wonderful. My wife loves it and it's helped her back a lot. Just my input. :)
    P.S. I completed my first full year of retirement yesterday! :laugh: I went from no eggs and a 2x shirt and size 38 pants to 4 eggs ,3x shirt, and size 42 pants :( :angry: Sheesh...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Been thinking about either myself for a long time. We went and looked at the sleep number and just about purchased.

Tested the three choices the difference was the thickness of the 'special foam' on the top of the air bed. I got to thinking if the air part is so good then why a topper? When I tested trying to find the right number I got to notice the feel was different on all three beds which was mostly a result of the thickness of the 'foam'. The bed with the thickest foam seem to have the least forming to my body. That and the expense got me to think I should do more procrastinating.

A month or so later I was sent a letter from the factory about a special sale, great discount on the beds. Another month or so got another letter about the opportunity to pick up a 'returned bed', all spruced up and such. That price was a huge discount - 30 or 40 percent of retail.

The two offers have the condition of no returns/no trial period. Full priced beds have their satisfaction guarantee.

I have had a 2", I think was a tempurpedic topper on my conventional bed for a lot of years. It seems to get pretty warm which is at times an issue for my wife. The topper gets indents which hold longer now.

I am not in a position to do either right now and am thinking of getting a 3" topper of some sort.

I do hate my conventional bed though.

Kent
  • WessB
    Options
    LOL...and Thanks for the mattress info...I haven't worn a pair of pants with a waist size since retiring...I live the winter in sweat pants, and the summer in shorts, all of which are elastic waistbands...now ya got me scared to grab a pair of jeans out of the closet... :)
  • WessB
    Options
    Thanks....there is a lot to consider with something costing that much, but more so, something you hope to "sleep" on for many years to come..
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    We have a tempurpedic and really like it. Not only is it great for sleeping, but I used to wake my wife up when I'd toss and turn at night. Now, she doesn't feel it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'm firmly in the Tempurpedic camp. Going on 6 or 7 years with mine and not a single bad night or sore morning yet.

It doesn't develop an "ass groove" like conventional mattresses do and has a 20 year warranty if anything goes wrong.

Skip the bells and whistles and extra padding. The most common complaint about TP beds is that they are hot. The pillow top or extra foam is one cause, another cause is using a mattress pad. The literature with the bed tells you not to use one, but how many of us actually RTFM?

They are cold to get into in the winter but warm quickly. They hold some warmth too, so when you get up in the middle of the night to answer nature's call, you get back into a nice warm bed and go right back to sleep. And Sally will never know you got up.

(and yes, I fully realize the dichotomy of using "nature's call" in a thread where I also use "ass groove" and "RTFM". I'm mixed up like that sometimes)
  • the only advice in that regard my father gave me was that "every man needs a sturdy workbench"
  • WessB
    Options
    Thanks, that's been the typical response so far..
  • WessB
    Options
    Thanks for the humerous and informative reply...I understood it all..LOL
  • WessB
    Options
    I'll leave that one alone and Thank you just the same..
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hi Wess,
    We still have not made the purchase but want to soon.
    My problem with all foam beds are the heat.
    I slep on a TP in Portland a couple years ago for 5 nights in one of the high end hotels. It was great...but it was cold in the room. I like the cold.
    The bed we have now has a fosm topper and that is bad enough.
    I talked to "Grillmeister" at the Texas Eggfest a few years ago. He was very happy with his new purchase.

"Hi Darian,

It's the Intellibed. I love it!

Cheers,

Ed
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Have a look at this: http://consumerist.com/2010/03/video-why-you-should-never-pay-full-price-for-a-mattress.html

That being said I'll likely stay with my sleep number. I really like the "no sag" aspect and I actually find there are times I like to adjust it for a more firm setting. Hard to do that with a regular mattress. If my needs change it's s imple push of the button to dial in what I want.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Interesting video... The sleep number beds are expensive.

• WessB
    Options
    Thanks...let me know if you do pull the plug....I know Ed also, what did he purchase?
  • WessB
    Options
    Thanks for the link...that was interesting..but it seems the sleep numbers and the tempurpedics all have fixed pricing....although I have not begun actually shopping them yet..
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Wess,
    Cant speak to the TP but we bought a # bed in dec, and we love it. Pricey, but it does the trick. Also, you know most water beds are California kings, 6" shorter and 6"wider than a std king. I believe number bed comes in a cali king. Good luck in your decision.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    The one thing that turned me off from the T bed was that it sleeps 'hot.' I don't know a better way to explain it but I had visions of us all hot and sweaty (from just sleeping) every night.

At my kids' urging, I bought my husband and all three boys a T pillow, at great expense. All three of the boys used it a couple nights and then brought them back to me saying they didn't like them. My husband uses it against his back for support.

Do you know anyone who has a T bed and you can try it out?

I LOVE my pillowtop mattress bed from Macy's. My husband, who was mad at me when I bought it (why do we need a new bed, this one is only 30 years old) says every night when he gets in the bed, "I love this bed."

Some of the pillowtop beds nowadays have a little of that temperpedic spongy stuff in them - maybe a compromise?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It was in my post: Intellibed

"Hi Darian,

It's the Intellibed. I love it!

Cheers,

Ed
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    The 70's??!! When did that happen?

sorry . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    As a former mattress salesman, I would suggest the temperpedic over sleep number beds. But not going into all theory about the 2 I would suggest finding a hotel that offers the Temperpedic and try it for a night (they do take a while to get used to).