Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Changed my mind and need advice....

Options
SomedayMommy
SomedayMommy Posts: 199
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some of you may remember that I got a medium BGE for Christmas :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: , and I wasn't sure whether I should take it back and get a large. I had originally decided to keep my medium, but after a lot more research, I have decided to exchange it for the large and pay the extra $$$.

BUT, there's a catch. This being NE Ohio, shops are certainly not thinking Spring. The carrier told me that I could exchange it no problem, but that they would have to give me the floor model. The large is of course $200 more expensive (not sure the difference in price for the nest).

The pro:
- It's already assembled (they sell them unassembled), and never been used.

The cons:
- Who knows how many people have messed with it and how many times it's been moved around, etc.
- It has table mates on it that I don't want to pay for. Do table mates come right off?

So I guess my question is/are - is there a problem with taking the floor model? What should I look for as far as defects that would show if it's ever been dropped or mishandled? What should I look at/test to be sure it was assembled properly (I plan to do the dollar bill test)? Should I ask for a discount since it was the floor model? Or at least ask them to leave the mates on for free?

I'd REALLY appreciate any advice...

ETA - my medium BGE is still brand new in the original boxes. It's been too gosh darn cold and snowy (eta to put the egg together, not to cook on it :P ) with the excpetion of this past weekend....

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    If it's a dealer that you know and trust I would not worry about it being a floor model they are not a delicate item. As for the mates, if don't ask the question the answer is always no. It is not a big deal to take them off. I'm surprised that they will trade you for a used egg and give you a new one even if it is a floor model. I don't think the two dealers in my area would even think of doing it. Good luck life is short so get what ya want.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SomedayMommy
    Options
    Oh, no, the one I have is still in the box. Travesty, I know! It's been so darn cold and snowy here with the exception of this past weekend...
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Exchange for the Large. You will be happier in the long run. And, NO, it is NOT too cold and snowy.

Mark

Right across the border in....
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    HAHA - yes you are! I know where Mercer is.

Do you think it's a problem taking the floor model? Thanks Mark!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Staci, If the floor model has never been cooked on I am assuming the egg has no defects and all the hardware is snugged up nice and tight you may have a good deal.

They can take the table mates off but they will have to remove the lower band to remove the studs but, that is no problem. Then maybe they will throw the table mates in for free.

I would definitely do the dollar bill test anyway.

I say look you egg over real good and remember you will get the receipt and lifetime warranty card to send in.

Don't forget to get the plastic do hickeys for the hinge assembly and the feet and the rain cap.

I hope it all works out for you. Tim
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Nope. My first one was a floor model. Just check all the nuts and bolts for tightness when you get it home, especially the band carriage bolts. And do the dollar bill test like you said and you should be good to go. Now get a move on, you're missing out on some prime egging weather! :lol: Seriously, I hate cooking in the cold and dark and snow and rain too, but I have my eggs right outside the doorway to my deck so I'm only braving the elements a few seconds at a time. ;)

I would re-think the side tables. They are very handy and convenient unless you're planning on a table in the very near future.

Mark
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Stacie,
    My mini was a floor model. I would say just give it a good once over. Take out the fire ring, and fire box to look and make sure there hasn't been any incidents. Check the bottom vent to make sure the screen and door are in place, close the lid make sure they tighten things before they deliver or you transport. If its being moved assembled you don't want a lid coming loose during the move. And finally, what was said about the white plastic spacers, the feet, the rain cap and the dollar bill test.

You are gonna be one happy camper. An assembled Egg is an Egg that can be cooked on in any whether!
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Can not remember when I have sold an Egg in a box. I have sold many already put together, as we display all sizes. Usually 3-4 Lg. on display at all times. I am the person who puts the together & checks every nut and bolt as well as the $$$$ bill thingie. Depends on your confidence of your dealer. Smiles to you. Hope my input helps. :):):) Ps. any thing that you can grab hold of is NOT a lifting handle, got to bear hug it to put it on your deck.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Stacie,
    I'd take the floor model. You have people lining up all of the time to buy "used" demos from the different eggfests. And as others have said if you don't have or are not planning on building a table take the mates. I didn't get them when I bought my first BGE and they were one first things I went back for.
    The only thing I would do is have them deliver it so you know exactly what you got and any adjustments should be on them.

Bill
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Also check for overbite/underbite/sidebite.
    canuckland
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    The dealer I purchased mine from assembles all of them and puts them out on the floor. I would take that over boxed as I don't want to put it together.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Just exchange/trade up for it, don't worry about it.
    My BGE was a demo and I couldn't be happier with it.
    Just get that mail in registration card and your golden.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Funny. I asked my dealer not to assemble my second large so I could put it together myself. Not just so I would know how to do it, but because I would know it was done right. Everything tight and everything aligned properly. I've seen so many eggs at eggfests that look like they were thrown together in 5 minutes; misaligned domes, bad gasket seals, wobbly nests. You name it.

Mark
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Mark, I brought home and assembled my large for the same reason. Plus I didn't have to wait one week and saved the $75 delivery/setup fee.
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    I bought the floor model and couldn't be happier. Dealer even followed me home to help me set it up in my back yard at no extra charge!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    OK then go make the switch and start cooking. :)
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Canugghead
    Options
    aren't the screen and sliding door preinstalled at mothership?
    canuckland
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Dat Be Rite. :laugh: :laugh:
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    I thought so - because there is no mention of assembling the screen & sliding door in the videos.

Perhaps it was a "Friday build?"
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    Quick question - can overbite/underbite/sidebitebe corrected easily? Loosen the bolts slightly, realign, then tighten?
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Stacie!!! Go exchange the Egg! 78 posts and you haven't even cooked yet!!! If your dome on your new egg that you haven't got yet is misaligned, we'll deal with it when the time comes. :blink: sheesh And yes, it's easy to fix. ;) :laugh:

Mark

edit: wrong spot, meant to be below
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    What can I say? I'm anal retentive. I want to know what I'm doing before I actually do it. haha
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    You may set the record for the most posts as a member without actually having cooked on an Egg. :whistle: Pause.............Well, there was this guy awhile back named ribhead. :woohoo:
  • Canugghead
    Options
    yes, it's easy to fix.
    Mark, I'm not sure about that... when I reassembled my small after installing the Nomex gasket, I had a rough time getting rid of the sidebite even after following many tips and hints posted by you and GG. I made so many attempts that I even stripped the threads on one of the bolts. And I'm above average in the handyman department :blush:
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    my dealer here in OKC has them assembled and out as floor models, both my large and small came right off the showroom floor.....sweet :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I also have some side bite I can't seem to change. I brought my egg home in a box from the dealer. I put it together by myself in a table. I have replaced the gasket twice now and I do have a side bite I can't seem to change. I have tried everything. My egg works fine but I still have a side bite. I'm not saying I want to fix it because I have tried and I'm pretty handy if I do say so myself. Tim
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Hey Gary, I just don't want to add any fuel to her fire. She's worrying about problems that probably won't exist on an Egg she doesn't even own yet. Crikies!

As far as your small, every egg is different. We all know that and some problems are easier to remedy than others. I have minor misalignement on both my larges. I don't worry about them. Once you've replaced the original felt gasket with nomex, rutland or cotronics, they become a non-issue. I have a cotronics on one and a nomex on the other. They are both great gaskets.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I don't blame you for that reason. I did check everything and all was tight and in line. Great dealer here in Lexington.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses thusfar! They help greatly. Now that I know what to look for:

1. I will certainly examine the egg with a fine tooth comb and use all the tips here as a guide.

2. If the egg seems in good shape, I will take it then and there.

If it's not in good shape, I'm not sure what I'll do. I can exchange the egg for merchandise only. It's a lawn & garden center.

The fact that it's all guaranteed is a plus.

I'll see if they will throw in the presently mounted side tables or at least discount them.

Does anyone know - what's the dealer mark-up on the eggs? I know it varies.