Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Langostos Gordos (Fat Lobsters)

Cornbread WillyCornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited 11:24PM in EggHead Forum
I traditionally steam a couple of lobsters for a romantic Valentines Day supper. Sometimes I even share with Sydney.... seriously, though folks, I definitely want to try them on the egg this year. Any suggestions re cooking time and temp after euthenizing the poor critters? I would think they could go on direct. I usually get lobbies that are about 1.25-1.5 lbs each - any bigger and they get kind of tough. Many thanks!

Comments

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    lobster.jpg
    <p />Cornbread Willy, a while back (01/2000), Houndog posted the recipe at the link. I wish I could say that I've tried it (wife doesn'tr really like lobster), but the recipe/method sounded good enough to keep and I know that someday I'll give it a try. The picture is from the original post.[p]Anyone know where Houndog is?[p]Life is GOOD! :~}

[ul][li]Lobster[/ul]
  • P2030032.JPG
    <p />Cornbread Willy,
    I tried houndog's "dwell in the shell method" and it came out ok. I recommend smoking them with a small amount of cherry wood and basting them with a garlic lemon butter. I cook mine at around 250 degrees or so. The first pic was dwell in the shell, the other pics are my standard cherry smoking.
    -Joel[p]P9120075.JPG[p]
    P9180016.JPG[p]
    P9180019.JPG[p]

• Gfw,
    Wow that sounds good. Not sure I can wait until Friday. Any reason to think that the cook method/time would be any different with a whole body as opposed to just the tail? I don't, but if anyone has an opinion on that I'd welcome it. Wonder where he gets that green chile powder??? Yum.

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Joel Ferman, I think I'm getting hungry!

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,521
    Cornbread Willy,
    When I do Houndog's recipe, I use whole lobsters, and disassemble them before cooking. After knockin' them off with a knife to the head, I remove the claws and the body....then cook the claws around the outter edge of the grill.[p]Houndog makes green chile powder himself, and I was a lucky recipient of some a couple years back. Yum is right![p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,521
    Gfw,
    It is pretty traumatic looking at those photos at a ten to six in da evening....especially when you aint got much on your own menu![p]Life is stil good.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Joel Ferman,
    If you continue to show pictures like those, I will be forced to get a home improvement loan.

• KansasKansas Posts: 11
    Joel Ferman,[p]You eat way too well! When can I come over?[p]Kansas
  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Kansas:[p]Careful . . . Joel might ask you what you look like in a bikini . . .
    [/b]
  • djm5x9,
    HAHAHA, this is true ;-)
    Nex time yer in Chico, drop me an email. Anyone who takes the trip all the way to Chico, is welcome at my table.
    -Joel

• PC100012.JPG
    <p />Nature Boy,
    I've said it many a-time, and i'll say it again, Dizzy Pig rubs are amazing. Thanks for this killer steak, compliments of Cow Lick rub.
    -Joel

• Kansas,Help me out here. Lets get our stuff together and cook ribs for Whitless.
    CWM

• shiek,
    Did someone say home improvement loan?? I think everyone needs an extra egg![p]Banker John