Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats the worst mistake you've made using the BGE?

Options
13»

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Yeah I rode my steed "Jeep" just as fast as I could to the Kingdom of Tucker and Sir John of BGE graced me with new parts.

Whereas upon my glorious return to the Wolf Compound the unscathed parts were quickly assembled with the magic parts from the Kingdom of Tucker.

Humpty was on again better again.

Moral of the Story: No matter how stable a ramp is. Get help when you move an XL from a truck to a porch.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Me make a mistake? A goof up? Ruin a cook? I just have one word. SILICON! Hey, have I told you I married a chef?.......and that.... :S :S :S
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    yeah your mistake is too fresh to lie about it :woohoo:
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I know Pete, that's why I didn't include my burnt offerings :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Hey, who is grape boy?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    100_0183.jpg

went to my brothers for mothers day. took the large and hit some railroad tracks going rather fast, bust.

Funny thing, went to brothers for this thanksgiving and my daughter said something when we went over the same tracks. Neither my wife nor I heard, so we asked her to repeat it....she said rest in peace cause back at the tracks is where the egg broke. She has my dry sense of humor and her mom's memory....dangerous combo. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    My first pizza...
    Somethingdoesntlookright.jpg
    Wecanteatthat.jpg
    fc
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Since we're all into confessions, I have one not to be tried. :S

Wanted to raise the grid on my medium. I don't have a Woo2 for it (yet), nor did I have any fire brick around. I did have some hard maple turning squares and a band saw. So I sawed some blocks, 1.25 x 4 x 6. I used them to raise the grid while I smoked my buckboard bacon butt (250 degrees for 2 hours). They worked like a charm. Some of you think you can see where this is going, but you're only partially right. A few days later, I had a stuffed pork loin that I wanted to cook at 400 raised grid for a little over an hour. I used the same blocks, however, after about an hour I went to turn the roast and when I shifted the weight, one of the blocks fell in the fire. It was very dry and very hot, so it ignited almost instantly. Now I'm standing there, balancing the roast on the grid on two points and a grill gripper. I picked up the grid and both of the other blocks fell in the fire, also erupting into flame. I decided there was no problem. I would let them burn down a little, then put the roast back on to finish. So for the next few minutes, I watched blue flames shoot out the top of my Egg. When I thought that they had burned down sufficiently, I closed the draft door most of the way and put the DFMT on, with the vents cracked just a little. I burped the egg a couple minutes later, only to find that my 4 week old gasket had just been toasted, on top of which, my burp was insufficient and while I was about to spew some profanity about the gasket, I got a technicolor, 007 James Bond flash fire. No bodily parts were fried, but my nerve was severely tested. I shut all the vents down and finished the roast inside. :blush:

The morals of the story; do not use wood to raise your grid, even if you think the dome temp will be below the wood's flash point. AND it takes much longer to shut down a roaring fire than you think it does.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Corned Beef. One bite and I threw it out.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Thank you for explaining that Pete.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Does Egret like his wine? I like mine.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i once posted a true story of my utter ineptitude one night at the BGE.

i lit the egg, went inside to prep, came out and found the egg stone cold. i had lit it, and shut the dome with the lower vent shut and the ceramic cap on it. after relighting, I bent down to look in and clean the lower vent, and coming back up, hit my head on the handle. i was in bare feet, stepped on a slug on the bricks, and had it squish up between my toes. last, i think i grabbed the hot grate that night too, not for long, but still managed to burn my fingers.

the sad thing about all this is that it was done stone sober.... :blush:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Last years superbowl party I left the last batch of chicken on one of the larges with the vents dialed in for 350. Found it when cleaning up the next morning. :sick: drinking was involved :whistle:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    He likes to make believe he likes his wine..
  • Essex County
    Options
    I think I was doing chicken that time too. I put water in the pan. It dried out and then BLAM! I was standing next to the egg when it happened. Shrapnel even came out the bottom vent. And the chicken looked like something out of a horror flik.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Tough as nails
    IMG_0066.jpg
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    DSC00068.jpg

knocked my egg off my new table while test fitting it (just weeks after buying it)...you can see the JB Weld repair I did unti the new bottom arrived...about 48" of cracks all together.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Who the heck is that? What roles has he played?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    He's currently playing Alan Epps Father of Don and Charles Epps on Numbers.

However, He's best known for his leading role in the TV Series Taxi. He starred in Independence Day as Richard Benjamin Father. He starred in Ordinary People.

You need to know more :)