Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My opinion of our new egg

Options
124»

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Angie,

It's not my place to say if you were right or wrong by saying that. Just trying to keep things from getting to a personal level.

The whole post reminds me of a time long ago. My wife and I were at Hanauma Bay in Oahu. My wife doesn't swim but I love the water. Never being to a place like this I thought it would be fun to take some frozen corn and peas and feed some fish. I tucked in a pack of frozen corn on side of my swimming suit and a frozen pack of peas on the other side of my swimming suit and began to swim out into the bay. I also cut both packages open so I fould feed the fish when I got out there.

It didn't take long before those vegies began to unfreeze. I turned aound in the water and all I saw was a huge wall of fish tyring to get to the food. I quickly ripped the packages out of my suit, got to the surface turned and headed for shore. I have never seen so many huge fish in my life. I don't remember how far out I was but this short fat man was the fastest in the sea that day. I had no idea I would have been in that situation with two packages of harmless vegitables in an ocean full of hungry fish.

I would think elmuyloco5 had no idea she would get this kid of response from her post either.

I wonder if we should take the comments at face value rather than 'kicking' it up a notch. Further thinking, possibly I should haven't said anything about the troll comment.

I dind't mean to offend you, Kent
  • for reading this entire thread?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I'll buy ya a cup of coffee.. :laugh:
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I sure hope that you do. Because if you do, I'll apply for mine.
    Glad to see the Cult is still alive and well, and protecting the home front.
    Those of us who have been cooking on the egg a long time, as well as those relatively new know that there is a difference in the taste of food prepared on the egg, and those cooked on other appliances.
    We are quick to defend the integerity, the experience, and the joy we personally experience by being egg owners. I've been a mulitple egg owner for over twenty years.
    This thread should never(IMO) got to the proportions it did.
    The one thing that I've learned in spades by being a judge in various wine tastings both locally, and internationally is that taste is subjective.
    I believe that once the originator of this thread has more experience and learns the curves of mastering the egg, that she will become very pleased with the results and the taste difference will become apparent, and will not have any misgivings about her purchase.
    There are a lot of good folks on this board, and I hope that she will contribute on a regular basis.
    Welcome aboard!
    Hammer
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    OK, I hate to get involved in this mess but can you truly think that a statement like this...
    "I can't help but guess that maybe those people had difficulties achieving good food using other appliances, and maybe that's why the egg seems so much different to them?"
    ... is not going to be insulting to people who enjoy their Eggs?!?
    I've cooked lots of good things on a great variety of "other appliances", but I have way more fun and good food off of my Green Egg.
    Just ate the best duck I have ever eaten, thanks to my Egg. It was not the first duck I cooked on the Egg, and some of the earlier ones were far from the best, but I learned and tried new things, and I have now achieved a great result, far more pleasing than with any other appliance.
    Please understand that you have a new tool, and with practice and an open mind you can achieve great things with this tool. You seem to have learned that the Egg can do the same thing as your oven just as well. Great! Now try and see what else the Egg can do better... you might be surprised.
    Just please don't dismiss the opinions of others because "maybe those people had difficulties achieving good food using other appliances". For me, and I dare say for many others responding to your "opinion", that is not the case.
    Please keep cooking on your Egg, but try to keep an open mind and ask questions on this board rather than judging the opinions of the contributers. There is much to learn here, and we have fun sharing recipes, pictures, and occasionally joys and sorrows. I've been around here awhile, and I can assure you this is not a cult, just some good people that enjoy a common thread. If you don't enjoy it, you are welcome to stay away.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I have three Eggs now A large, a small, and for this Easter my wife got me a Mini. In my Honest opinion the Egg is the World's best smoker & Grill. I haven't ever won a single BBQ contest or even for that matter entered one. What I can tell you is the people in this forum have inspired me. My Dad has a Medium BGE, My Brother has a Medium BGE, MY sister and her husband have a Large BGE, My sisters Mother in Law has Two Large BGE's. Are any of them BBQ Champions? No BUT what I can tell you is the food that we prepare on them brings us all together. NO ONE pumped up the BGE... We just had food off of one and it started a chain reaction. Now I cook more than I ever dreamed or for that matter more than my wife could have ever dreamed. Do I have to cook a cake in the BGE... or do I use my Indoor Gas Oven. Which one do you enjoy more? Cook to please your family and yourself... If you have a restaurant cook to please your customers. MOst people in this forum have the same passion for cooking on the Egg as I do. Follow your passion you won't be disappointed. By the way I sold my Weber gas grill to someone who actually is passionate about it... I showed them my egg and they still wanted to buy the Weber after I told them of the eggs capabilities. Have fun whatever you decide to do. This is just my opinion afterall.

~Pharmeggist
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i can honestly say that the first year with the egg i had some problems with certian cooks. chicken was way better off my old cheap weber kettle and the egg didnt do justice to burgers on those first few cooks. it took me some time to figure out that it wasnt the egg, changed some setups around, stopped using a thermapen on burgers. found that the egg makes great chicken and burgers, better than i ever thought possible. the egg makes lousy seafood casserole, but maybe someplace down the road ill figure that one out too. just takes some time. i havent tried the casserole at 900 degrees yet which might be the ticket. something new to try this weekend :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    I wish everyone would just stop and read her first post. She said in her opinion she feels that there was not a big difference in taste. Noone on this forum can argue with that...its her opinion. I agree with her that when I research a product I want to hear honest reviews and want to hear peoples opinions good, bad and neutral. It allows you to make an informed decision.

I read posts that said all she needs is more experience and imply that she is not cooking correctly. Everyone has to admit that not everyone is going to love the EGG. She never said one thing about the EGG that devalued it in anyway.

I love the food that is made on the egg but I myself wasn't as good with a gasser or conventional oven. I love the charcoal flavor. I feel like a Gaucho out on the high plains.

Its infuriating reading these posts arguing with her about her taste buds.
  • Unknown
    Options
    By the way the BBQ Guys didn't give a good review of the EGG and they told you why. So believe it or not, not everyone loves the EGG.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    most people that don't like it don't know how to use it.

funny that you don't like yours and yet you still come here, read, and respond to three month old posts.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hey Stike,
    Open your eyes wide and read my post. I would like everyone on the board to see what a nitwit you are. Where in my two posts does it say that I dont like mine?

You are exactly why this thread is so large and why this woman had to defend her opinion.

Have you ever had an original thought in your life? Do behave like this in your personal life? Someone says something you that differs from your opinion and you turn off all reasoning and your thought process shuts down. This forces you to misread and misinterpret fourteen sentences. Pathetic!