Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My opinion of our new egg

Options

Comments

• Your right, I agree with all that you have said. I have an Egg, but don't post. I do check this board out once or twice a month for recipes. I also check out the primo and grill dome forum. In my option there is no tolerance for diversity on this forum.

All products have some bad points, no matter how small, however this forum does not want to hear the bad and good qualities of a product. If you Google cults you will find that some (not all) Egg owners belong to an Egg cult and this forum is how they communicate.

This forum has all the attributes of a cult, and the best way to handle a cult is not to get in a debate or interact with them. They will try to convert you to their way of thinking and you cannot reason with them.
  • I purchased a pot at a local big box store. I had it for a week and cooked with it a few times. There was a news story on TV about pots manufactured overseas containing lead. The station set up a lead testing facility so I took my pot to have it tested.

It tested with a high rate of lead.

So being a normal person I said "Hey I must not have the hang of cooking with this pot yet." So I am cooking with the pot to see if I can’t get the hang of cooking with lead and not make my family sick.

NO……. being a normal person I thru the pot out.

Some of your cults like comments really amaze me.
  • secondo
    secondo Posts: 5
    Options
    elmuyloco5 wrote:
    Where biased is bad is when it leads the average person to think something that isn't totally true.

That is true and that is why it is important that the moderators allow people to post their opinions both positive and negative if potential buyers want to use the forum to gauge the quality of the product. In that sense this very thread seems to me to be some form of proof that the forum is not biased in the bad sense.

Although I haven't read every single post carefully, it seems to me that most people who have posted on this thread have said that they disagree with you, but not that your opinion isn't welcome here.

I, for example, do disagree with you, but I was interested enough in your comments to respond to them with my opinion even though I don't post here often. I also hope that after you've used the grill a lot more you follow up and tell us if you still feel the same way about it - that would be important to potential buyers just as others' enthusiasm is.
  • elmuyloco5
    Options
    I don't think lead would be an issue of concern with the egg. Here's a link that talks about lead issues with ceramics:

http://www.fantes.com/ceramics.html

I feel confident that the egg is just as safe of a cooking vessel as any other grill. Not to attack you, just wanted to point out that it's not really what the post was about.
  • I know you are not attacking me and I agree with all your posts. I also feel confident that the egg is a safe cooking vessel

I was trying to use a metaphor to show the statement:

“I don't know, seems like a normal person would say "Hey I must not have the hang of this yet. Instead she starts this thread”

The above statement cannot be used in a sensible way to describe the intentions of your posting.

You made it clear it is about taste not getting the hang of cooking on the Egg.

I don't need to get the hang of some products before I form an opinion. Using another metaphor, I can pick up a toy at a store and see that it is cheaply made. I don't need to buy it, take it home, and watch it fall apart before I form my opinion about the toy.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    My opinion, maybe like some other newbies, is that I was and still am a novice. When I tasted the difference in my grilled steaks & chicken vs. the old kettle griller, I was super impressed and pleased at the results, and bragged about it to friends and family. My main problem was, that I was using the wrong charcoal and didn't know the difference. Now I do, and probably with my old griller if I had been using lump instead of match lite charcoal, I am sure I would of had a better finished steak or chicken. So, my learning curve took an immediate spike just in the differnce in heat source. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • elmuyloco5
    Options
    Ok, sorry. I didn't want to be rude, I just didn't want things to go off on a tangent.

You know, in the end it's ok. I'm glad to see some people's true colors now. I'm just a homeschooling at-home mom with three kids. I'm not trying to troll anywhere and I'm not trying to cause a ruckus. I felt it was important to put my view down, as I hadn't seen anything remotely bad said about the egg. And while that can be a good sign, I also know realistically it can't be true. Everything has bad points.

I'm glad we got our egg. We have been wanting to get another smoker for a while now,and the egg will last us our lifetime. I can't complain there. I'm also very anxious to try out pizzas and baked items. When we get settled into our forever house, we want to build a huge outdoor kitchen. A pizza oven was one of the items we really wanted. If the egg will get the results we are looking for, then that's great. And as I said before, we would most likely by a small to do just that in.

But, I wish that I could take the feeling away that we had been misled a bit about the grill. It's never nice to buy something and be so excited about it, and then to learn things aren't quite as they were represented to you.

I'm not the type to brag about my cooking. I do think I do a good job, and my hubby and I are hard pressed to find anything at a restaurant that we can't duplicate at home, but I don't feel it makes us experts or anything. I think there's always room for improvement in life and I was hoping that they egg would do that for us. I don't feel we've improved, but the quality and versatility of the egg make it worth our purchase. I'll be back to update on our thoughts after a bit more time on the egg.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Your opinion is duly noted; however, you can't expect to make a response such as yours and not get the long line of exceptions.

I have been cooking now for 44 years. I have cooked for me and for well over 300+ people. I have cooked on Offsets, Kettles, gassers, indoors and outdoors. That may or may not make me an expert, but it does give me a board perspective on cooking. The Egg is by far the BEST cooker I have ever cooked on.

In the BBQ world you will hear "It's not the cooker, it's the cook" Too a large extent that is correct, but this cooker does make you a better cook. Largely do tothe fact it doesn't need to be fussed over like other cookers.

Having said all that I will say that I have cooked some food I refused to serve my dog. Chit happens. What makes a cook a really good cook is learning from his or her mistakes. Over the years I learned that if you want good cooking get the best your grocery store can provide. If you want superlative cooking get the best you can locate. Most grocery stores sell Select grades of meat because they need to keep the prices low. Some cuts of meat can't be made good even if the worlds best chefs are cooking them.

Don't form an opinion over one or two cooks. Try asking us how to make things better. There on people on this forum who have been cooking on the egg for years.

I once told a person near me that if can not impress you with what I cook on your egg I'll buy it from you. That includes anything GRILLED. I'd make that same offer to you if you were closer. The Egg is everything it it advertised to be. You just need to learn how to use it. If you use it like a Weber Kettle you will be 100% disappointed.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I'm still working on iced tea, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Your post did not come across as rude at all. You are right; posts on here do get a little out of hand sometimes. That is way I just read and stay out of the ruckus.

This is the first time I have posted but I just had to say something.

I have had my Egg for about six months now, and I use it as a smoker and grill. You are right it is very versatile and a well build product. We have had a few problems with the old style gasket, but the egg manufacture resolved the problem very quickly.

I am not obsessed with the Egg. I cook on it on weekend, like I did with my other smokers and grills. If it is too cold outside I don’t grill or smoke. We still eat out just to get away from cooking every meal.

I don’t boast about my cooks or post pictures. I have nothing to prove. All I need is a response “great meal” from my family and I am happy.

Before I purchased the egg I did a lot of research. I read all the pros and cons, yes there are cons, Google “big green egg cons”, so I knew what I was getting.

If this forum is the only source that someone used to research the purchase of an Egg, and then yes, I agree, you will come away mislead.

I would take what is said on this forum with a “grain of salt”. This forum is just like the thousands of other forums on the Web associated with one product. Posters tend to be opinionated, intolerant, intimidating, etc.

You did the right thing, by posting your comments on here. People need to hear the pro and con to make an educated purchase and i bet this is the first and only place people look before buying an Egg.
  • elmuyloco5
    Options
    Celtic Wolfe: I'll answer your question, as others have asked it, as to what response I expected.

Honestly, I didn't expect much of a response at all. I didn't write my post to even start a discussion. It was a review, a way of marking down our thoughts thus far of our egg. I didn't think anything I said would start a big fuss. I sang it's praises and then remarked that we were a bit disappointed. I certainly never expected some of the rudeness I encountered. I still to this point haven't said a inconsiderate word to anyone. Yet I've been called a Troll, accused of having ulterior motives, and suspected of being a "gas cooker" on here to cause problems. My cooking abilities have been questioned and I've been treated as if I can't possibly grill properly because I'm new to the egg world. All because I was honest and said I was a bit disappointed.

And through this whole mess, an outsider reading this thread wouldn't take away that the egg is so great and that I must be out of my mind. You all have only helped show that this group is unwilling to listen to opinions that sway from the accepted, and those who hold those opinions are not welcome to express them and be part of the group. At least that is what I would see if I were on the outside looking in.

I also wanted to add that I treat people like I would treat them if I was speaking to them in person. I have a feeling that alot of the rudeness I encountered in this thread would never have been said to my face. We're going next weekend to a BBQ cookoff where there will be eggers and non-eggers. The store where we purchased our egg will be there cooking as well. And when they ask us how we are liking our grill, I will say the same things I said here to you. If I had spent only a few hundred dollars on the egg, I wouldn't have been that disappointed. But I expected it to perform at the level it was advertised to me for the monstrous price I paid. I don't think it performs at the level for all types of cooks the way they claim it does. That's exactly what I'll be telling them.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Place Egg in the sun, Fill a gallon jub with water and 6 family sized tea bags.

Place jar covered indirect. Let sit till desired strength.

Key is to have the Egg in the sun.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Wow,these things make tea also.The egg never ceases to amaze me. :laugh: :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Dispite some of the overzealous remarks you may have got on this thread your opinions are welcome. However, there is a very valid reason why you got those overzealous remarks.

It is because all of us know that the egg does perform beyond it's advertising. You come on here an tell us it doesn't. I may have missed it, but you have failed to tell us what it was you cooked, how you cooked it and the quality of meat you cook that did not impress you.

Just maybe we can tell you what you MAY have done wrong. Maybe we might be able to tell you how to make your egg perform as you think it should.

A year a ago I bought a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma. Previous to that I owned a 4x4 grand Cherokee. You would think they drove the same. They don't and it took me a while to get used to the way the Tacoma handled versus Jeep. The more I tried to drive the Tacoma like I drove the Jeep the worse the Tacoma's mileage got.

Ceramic Cookers are NOT offsets or Kettles and can NOT be used like them. Just because you are a great cook on an offset doesn't mean you'll be a great cook on a Ceramic cooker.

You can continue this argument or you can let those of us with the experience help you achieve your goals..
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    If you would reread some of your posts, you might see why I questioned whether you are a troll. It has nothing to do with your like or dislike of a BGE. It is how you are phrasing your responses to slam on the people here. A lot of people answered you and were trying to help.

1st post of this thread and slam to us personally, not BGE.

"I just don't see the big difference everyone talks about. I can't help but guess that maybe those people had difficulties achieving good food using other appliances, and maybe that's why the egg seems so much different to them?"

2nd post from you.

"I would hope that the people on here are mature enough to handle hearing that someone might have a different opinion than their own."

"I ate the food off of the demo cook on the egg and it wasn't any better. We just hoped that they couldn't cook well. "

"I'm sorry if that gets at ya'll too much, but it's the truth as I've tasted it. "

"I thought a group of adults could act mature enough to leave that sort of behavior aside, but I guess not. I've seen many refer to it as "passion", well I'm passionate about many things in life, but I would never treat any of you with disrespect.

"I would think forking over $900 + would give me the right to state my opinion of the unit, but I guess not. It's clear that honest opinions are not welcomed on this site. If you only want hard core eggers to post here, that's fine too. I didn't come to stir the pot as many think, I told you all why I posted"

"You know, in the end it's ok. I'm glad to see some people's true colors now. "

I'm sorry if you are not trolling, but the way you are phrasing things makes it sound like you are trying to start a fight. We can't see your face when you say things or hear your tone of voice. If you came to one of the eggfests and talked to us in person I bet things in your speech would be phrased differently.

Sorry again, I usually don't get my feathers ruffled, but did today. It was probably a big misunderstanding.

Good Qing to you and Guest.
  • elmuyloco5
    Options
    I think your response proves that people aren't really reading my posts. I stated in my first post what it was that I cooked and what I felt about the result. I don't feel like restating it again. The one thing that seems to have to keep being restated is that I never said I didn't like how the egg cooked!!!!!! I said that I don't agree that the egg produces a cook that tastes different than what I can cook using other methods. I said that I feel we were misled a bit to the "profound difference" everyone talks about cooking in the egg. Please actually read my posts and you will see this. You will also see that I said that I'm sure that what displeased us about the steak would most likely be remedied if we cooked it lower on the coals. I cooked higher like it was a grill, and no they did not turn out as well as I have done numerous times on my now dead-gasser. I've also cooked a dang good steak using a cast iron skillet and finishing in the oven. Quite frankly the best steak I've ever made was in an indoor rotisserie unit that we no longer have (darn thing was too small to cook for our larger family.....but those were the best steaks imaginable).

The steaks were NY strip, the meatloaf was half bison and half beef, the chickens were chickens. The brisket was a 4.5 lb flat (the one thing that came out stellar....and one of the hardest things to cook according to everyone here). We also cooked veggies and those are again listed in my first few posts.

The steaks were direct, the meatloaf, chicken, and brisket along with veggies that accompanied were indirect. I used temps that I found on THIS site along with approximate times and temps to pull them.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Guest wrote:
    I own an Egg and I agree with you about there being no difference in taste compared to other cooking methods. It is the skill of the cook and quality of the ingredients not the appliance that make the difference. Take heart I am sure that are many other that agree with you, but they are afraid to post with their real handle or name.

This statement really puzzles me. When I first got my egg, and after the very first cook, I could taste a difference with grilling. My skills did change, I only changed from a gasser to the egg.

My second cook was a smoking cook, Again, I only changed from a gasser water smoker to the egg - much better flavor.

Once I got my egg cooking/smoking got to be more fun. Reading the forum made me realize there were some additional things I could do to imporve my skills and the taste of the food I was eating serving.

From the forum I began to think more about my cooking, tempeture for example. After getting a Thermopen I found out cooking to a more consistant finish temp made an imporvemnt on the texture and flavor of my food.

I then got to experementing with some fast & quick pork as well as low and slow pork. After some posts from other forum members and trying some different techniques, times and temps, my results became better.

I got cooking some items and thirdeye jumped in and gave me some help with methods, seasonings and again another imporvement.

I am not sure how good or bad of a cook I was, I and the family really enjoyed the pre egg cooking and every single person noticed a marked imporvement after the egg purchase.

Someday I hope to go to a fest and taste some of the food that is being prepaired. I am not sure but possibly I will learn I am still a bumpkin when it comes to cooking. At least I have my self and a few other folks around here fooled (for now).

Nevertheless, from my personal experience when I read others really can't taste any difference with the egg, it just astounds me and frankly it is really hard for me to accept.

However, the food doesn't taste different to others who am I to say different in their situation.

If you are a forum member it would be nice to know who you are other than 'Guest', everyone has their own opinion, thank goodness.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I fell the 'troll' comment is a bit out of line, elmuyloco5 is just experessing her thoughts.

Personally from my experience I have a hard time with the concpet, but that's me.

My 2¢

GG
  • elmuyloco5
    Options
    I'm sorry Angie, but the people on here have been nice to me????? I'm merely defending myself.

My comment that I thought maybe people hadn't achieved better cooks on other appliances is hardly a slam on anyone. I honestly thought that might be why they saw a difference in the egg. Some people have a hard time keeping meat juicy in the oven, and even on the grill. If the egg does that for them, then they would see the egg as some miracle cooker.

My posts about maturity are in direct reflection of the rudeness I encountered. Yes I thought people on here could handle a difference in opinion. I guess you feel I should cower down and bow to the cooking Gods on here? You treat me with disrespect, I'm going to stand up for myself. No where have I said one rude word to anyone. Who have I called names? Who have I accused to be something that they're not????? I ask you, what is it that I have done, other than defend myself that has been so wrong?

Yes, the demo cook I ate at wasn't anything special. I took the assumption that maybe the person cooking wasn't very skilled at the grill instead of blaming the egg. How is this a slam? I would think this comment would work towards the "egg is great" argument, not against it.

Yes, I think that $900 gives me the right to come on here and post my review. I paid for it, why shouldn't my voice count just as much as yours?

People's colors? Yep, glad to see how you would really treat someone. All this rudeness and nonsense because I said I was a bit disappointed with my egg. Wow, hate to see how you'd treat people who really have something bad to say about it.

I had no intent to argue with anyone on here. I came, posted my opinion, and really thought that would be that. Why shouldn't I be allowed to have my opinion on it? Because my opinion differs from yours, I'm a troll, I have other motives? Somehow I must be a deviant because I don't kiss my egg every morning I wake up?? I really never thought I would be treated the way I have on here. I'm honestly shocked. And all the praise I gave to the egg, geez....I said I thought the cooks I did previously were just as good and people are ready to lynch me. It's just ridiculous.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I suggest that you learn how to T-Rex your steaks. Learn that Bison is leaner then Beef and can produce a dryer product, meat loaf is a combination of Beef, Veal and pork, and chicken is not 'well chicken'.

If you feel like copping an attitude when asked legitimate questions please don't wonder why you are getting the responses your are getting. If you don't think you are copping an attitude re-read your last response to me. Trust me when I tell you I know attitude when I see it. Many here will tell you I can show it faster then anyone here.

All I am trying to determine is what happened that caused your experience not to be stellar.

Now if you really don't want our help then we thank you for your opinion.
  • elmuyloco5
    Options
    I would like to add to my above comment, that some people have been perfectly nice and welcoming. I should have rephrased the first comment to the fact that I was defending myself to those who have not been nice.

GG:
    I agree that there is a difference in taste between a gas and the egg. But the there is that difference in flavor between any lump burning grill and a gasser. That flavor can be viewed as better tasting for some, but not all people like that taste. I DO like the taste in many foods, just not everything.

There is also a difference in flavor between smoked meats and those which have not been smoked, be that through the egg or another smoker. I wasn't trying to compare that, and that's why most of my posts keep restating the words "except for the smokiness". To me the difference in those flavors are no different than the difference between seasonings. Some meats work better with certain seasonings than others. Just changing that might give you a product that you claim tastes better. One might say that it was the egg that made it taste better, when in fact, it was just a better choice in seasoning. That's why I stated that I used the same seasonings that I normally use, as much as I normally use (I'm a heavy seasoner myself) to nullify that changing the results.

Yes, my food was smokier, or when I didn't use the smoking chips, it was flavored by the lump. But I've eaten alot of food from a charcoal grill.

I personally did not cook with charcoal, my husband did. I cooked more when we had the gasser. We've had a little of everything over the years and bought the egg after a storm destroyed our gasser. That's why I didn't give alot of my opinions based on a charcoal grill. I'm here at home writing this and my husband's not. He's busy at work today. My experience, other than eating the food, is on a gasser and of course in the kitchen. I can talk about my opinion on the comparison to the flavors of food from the charcoal grill we used to have and the smoker we used to have as well.
  • elmuyloco5
    Options
    I'm not coping an attitude, I stated the chickens were whole chickens in my very first post in this thread. I'm getting comments from people who have read the first few posts and then come and bash me. I'm getting a little tired of reiterating the whole mess over and over again.

I know bison is leaner, but thank you. I never said my meatloaf was dry. And I won't touch the comment on what meatloaf is. It can be many things. I would hate to limit myself to only three meats. Please, and I'm saying this as nicely as I possibly can, go read this thread from the beginning. I did already state all of it. I said what I was impressed with and why, and what I wasn't and why. If you really read it, you'd know my meatloaf wasn't dry, that wasn't my complaint. You'd also know that I didn't complain about the food at ALL!!!! I said it wasn't any better than I have produced with other methods. That's all folks....it's no big deal!!!

Here I copied it for you:

We really enjoyed the brisket and beans. They came out nicely smoked, juicy, and everything we were hoping for in a good lo and slo cook.

But in all honesty, the steak was not as good as I've made regularly in the past, and the whole chickens that we did were good, but nothing any more special than I've done in the oven (by the way, the secret to crispy chicken in an oven is a brown paper bag).

We used the TRex method on the steaks. They were just OK in our opinion, and we know we could have done better on our old gas grill. They had a slightly smoky flavor that was nice, and they were juicy and tender. But, the sear wasn't as nice as on our gas grill......and we really missed that.

We did two whole chickens above a drip pan with carrots and red potatoes. The veggies came out good, but would have been essentially the same in the oven below chicken. The chickens had crisp skin and were both juicy. I can't say I have any complaints, but that I have done them just as well in the oven many times. Again, there was the difference of the smokier flavor, but I'm not necessarily looking for smokiness to all my foods.

I hate to say it as I know there's a huge following on here, but I am a bit disappointed. There's a lot hype around the BGE's and I really bought into the "food tastes so much different on an egg" theory. But, I'm not sure that's necessarily true. I think the food on the egg is good, I just don't see the big difference everyone talks about. I can't help but guess that maybe those people had difficulties achieving good food using other appliances, and maybe that's why the egg seems so much different to them? I'm not disappointed in the quality, look, ease of use, etc. of the egg......but from what I had read on here, I really expected the food to taste different. It's great food, but I think we made just as tasty of food before the egg.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like my egg, and it's a stellar smoker. I've only owned one other small smoker in the past, and only for a short while at that (the Hawaiian environment rusted it in a very short timeframe) so I can't compare smoked foods as much as I can my grilled foods. The egg, IMHO, seems to do an equal job smoking food compared to the other smoker I owned. However, the egg is definitely built better and has a great warranty. It's definitely a luxury model and will last us our lifetime.

And a few posts further down the page:

We also did a meatloaf and some corn( on the cob). I really enjoyed the corn as the smokiness gave them the flavor of roasted corn at a festival. I've grilled some good corn on our gasser, but the smoke made it better. The meatloaf though, I can't say I like smoky. I do like it better with a nice crust the way I can in the oven. I never tried meatloaf on our gas grill, so I can't compare that.
  • Angie2B
    Options
    Grampa Grub,
    Trolling is where people get online and deliberately phrase things to get people mad and start fights. Every internet forum I have ever visited has them. I may have been wrong, but this felt like a troll, when it may have just been a case of poor phrasing.

If I was wrong, I really am sorry.
  • elmuyloco5
    Options
    Angie, why not read the other few posts I've made to other threads? I joined this group before we even bought our egg. Then we had it for about a week and a half before we got it built (it snowed the first night we brought it home and we live on a mountain side, so we didn't want to slip while carrying it). Then the first thing we cooked was late one night at almost 10pm after we put it together. It was the steaks, and no they didn't come out as good as we would have liked them. But, I freely admitted on here that I'm sure they will come out better using other methods on the egg. Then our next, and what I consider our first as the night before was just a quick thing we weren't really trying on, the brisket was fabulous. But since then, things have been good, but no real difference than they ever were pre-egg. That was my only comment. If you went back and read my posts, I think you find that I wasn't being mean at all. And any comments that I made that you viewed as "trying to start something" were done after I was being attacked on here. I even commented how great I thought the site was and how much info was available. But I had to defend myself. I was really shocked by the people's responses towards me. I honestly just wanted to put out my opinion. Why is it that everyone automatically thinks the worst of people? Why can't a difference of opinion be just that? Like I said, I doubt most of these people would have had the nerve to say what they did to my face.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Let it go for the love of pete.
    She said what was on her mind and many have said what is on theirs.
    STOP THE NEGATIVE ENGAGING1
    Please.
    Peace,
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Angie2B
    Options
    I really think this has turned into a bad misunderstanding. I took things that you said as being aggressive and you took things we said as being aggressive. I am sorry I called you a troll it WAS rude of me. Sorry.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You don't need to stop on my account.. :woohoo:
  • elmuyloco5
    Options
    I'm sorry if any of my comments came across the wrong way. I truly came with no intent to fight, only to review. I hope what I have said will help someone in the future make the best decision for them, no matter what that is.

And I hope that this thread will help the group to see that there are people out there who own eggs that are fearful of speaking out about their opinion. One member came here as a guest for that reason. Personally, I would not want a group I ran to ever make someone feel as if their opinion didn't matter.

I will still look around the forum. I enjoy seeing your cooks and hearing the stories. But I probably won't interact as much as I might of. I didn't enjoy spending the better part of my day trying to defend myself on here. I am sorry I ever brought it up. I started with a feeling of being taken a bit on our sale, but now I truly have a icky feeling about the whole thing.

I'm glad you all love your eggs. I would never want to take that away from you. I just hope you realize that nothing is perfect, even the egg, and it's ok for people to recognize that too. After all, my opinion on the egg doesn't keep you from cooking on yours or enjoying yours, so it really shouldn't matter all that much.

Take care
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    elmuyloco5,

Thank you. I love the 'bark'/'crust' on foods. I have not much now or in the past do much injecting egg or non egg as I also like the taste of the meat/fowl/fish itself.

Celtic Wolf's (CW) comments above made me think about the quality of the 'meat' and getting a better taste. I have not much paid attention to where I purchase whatever I am going to cook.

A few weeks ago we spent the money to get a prime grade aged standing rib roast and cooked it on the egg. I only uses salt an pepper for seasoning as I wanted the roast for the meat flavor. This by far was the best 'meat' flavor we have had in prime rib. I do attribute that to the grade and quality. That goes CW's comments.

From what I can find out here we have access to BGE, Royal Oak (same as BGE) and Cowboy lump. If I want a less smokey flavor in the food I will use Cowboy.

Celtic Wolf has offered to work with you, you should take him up on the offer. It is a great oppertunity. Celtic Wolf, thirdeye and some of the other folk out there have a lot of lifetime epxerience BBQ'ing and Grilling, on and off the egg. What is great those folks are will ing to help the other of us that don't know much at all.

Some of the above posts are clearly folks trying to defend our beloved eggs. Once a post gets to a certain level it is like the song, Who Let the Dog's Out... Aside from protecting the fourm folk and the eggs their opinions and your opinions are all valid and welcome.

Don't take anything personally. I agree with you that many things said in this and other posts would never be said face to face.

Make sure when you grill next to let us know, also supply some details of the meat, seasonings, and the cook in general. You will find there will be a lot of ideas and help.

Looking forward to seeing you back soon, Kent