Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alligator ribs?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody have a good recipe for gator ribs? I would like to try them on the egg. Also cooking time would be helpfull.thanx in advance.

Comments

• is the term "gator ribs" bbq'n jargon for something, or do you really mean alligator ribs?[p]if really alligator ribs, how are they to eat? share your thoughts please/

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    BobsBlues&BBQ,[p]2 pounds Florida alligator ribs
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon season salt
    1/2 teaspoon season black pepper[p]
    Place ribs in a shallow glass dish or large resealable plastic food storage bag. [p]Pour vinegar over ribs; toss to thoroughly coat all pieces well. [p]Cover dish or close bag; marinate in vinegar for 15 minutes in the refrigerator. [p]Combine juice, oil, salt, and pepper until well blended.
    Reserve 1/8 cup marinade for basting. [p]Add remaining marinade to ribs. [p]Turn and coat well. [p]Marinate in the refrigerator for 45 minutes. [p]Remove ribs from marinade; discard marinade. [p]Grill over medium coals about 45 minutes or until ribs are tender, basting frequently with 1/8 cup marinade.

• markkal123,
    Yes they are really alligator ribs.I never have had the alligator ribs but want to try them.I have had fried alligator ribs and they are delicious.

• RibDog
    RibDog Posts: 31
    BobsBlues&BBQ,[p]Wish I had a recipe for you but all I have is a memory.[p]About 3-4 years ago, we were at the BBQ contest in Grant, FL. They had an Anything Butt contest on Friday night and one team made smoked gator ribs. Let me tell you, those were fantastic. I think they even won that category with them. Wish I could remember the team name for you. Will have to ask some friends.[p]John

• markkal123,
    They are real. They are great. I have not yet had them on the egg though. Here is a company that will sell and ship them to you.[p][p]

[ul][li]MMMmmmm Gator Ribs[/ul]
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    picked up a rack last week, plan to cook tomorrow. uga v Florida game seems fitting. 

any suggestions beyond what has been posted?
    Boom
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    My only suggestion is that you take some pics and document the cook for us - to teach us all something.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Ah, okay, a resurrection by @FanOfFanboys; I was surprised that TWO folks were doing 'gator ribs this weekend.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    they were ok. I love fried gator tail. they were a bit fishy tasting. more than I expected. the texture was ok. I love the gator sausage and will have again but I won't buy the ribs again 
    Boom