Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

My BGE has a leak!!

edited 11:49PM in EggHead Forum
I've been cooking on my egg---a large with auto-lock---for a couple of months and I've been noticing smoke coming out from one side under the dome top. No wonder I've had a difficult time keeping really low temps.
Last night after turning out some incredibly awesome ribs, I braved the cold Iowa night, flashlight in hand, and found that there's about a one-eighth inch or so gap between the top and base on that side--for about five inches. the gasket thing looks a bit charred and there even smoke marks on the dome.
Anybody else had this problem?
I had disassembled the egg to move it. Could I have tightened the auto-lock band too tight that would have caused the gap?
How do I get a snug fit?
Any ideas out there in eggland?

Comments

  • djm5x9djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Q-Ball:[p]As new as your egg is, you probably need to loosen the bands, seat the dome, and retighten the bands. Check out the condition of your gasket to make sure you have not fried it.

  • Q-Ball, I installed the new type bands/hinge and mine leaked from the rear near the hinge. I loosened and re-tightened until I was sure I couldn't get the dome to drop any farther. I finally disassembled the hinge and drilled the hole where the hinge axle goes through. It allowed the rear of the dome to settle down for a snug fit all around. Be careful if you have to do this. If you get the axle holes too big, it may not lock properly when opened. Mike still locks okay, and now, I can fully open the dome to a standing position. Perfect for high heat steaks. I think mine now locks in a slightly lower position than before, but it is only a very little difference, if any.. Yours may just need some tension at the point where the hinge welds are. Again,, be careful, and don't attempt it while it is on your egg. You could possibly break the egg or at least crack the glaze. Maybe the Webmaster has heard of this before. If he don't see this, email him.. Good luck.

  • On my last post,, five lines down,,, two-thirds of the way toward the end of the line,,, the word Mike is supposed to be Mine... I got him on the brain,, he must be planning something for us to cook. NAAAH! it was just a yypo!

  • i'll try loosening the bands. hope that works.[p]and if i've fried the gasket...? thanks for your help.[p]
  • King-O-Coals,
    Thanks for your ideas
    Yikes!!! I'll try the loosening route first. If that doesn't work, I'll get my neighbor the mechanic to lend a hand. For a couple beers, some Jack Daniels and a slab of ribs the guy can/will work wonders.[p]In the meantime---hey! Yo! webmaster! Any other suggestionS?[p]

  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Q-Ball, I have to agree with your scenerio.. I too replaced my older bands about 16 months ago, and experienced the same affect. However, after about 2 months of use, the older felt expanded enough to refill the uneven compression of the felt from the earlier bands. I don't think the new locking bands allow the dome to seat quite as tightly as the older band were seating. So you have this irregularity in the seals.
    Alternatives, IMHO are as Daryl djm5x9 suggested in loosening and reseating. If that doesn't work, then I would suggest a resealing of the BGE..Now, here is a new wrinkle that I might introduce. Rather than reseal both top and bottom do only one. Do the one that is most scorched. It only takes about 5 minutes to remove the felt and you can get replacement from BGE that is self adhesive.

    Or you can go to your local builders supply centers or fireplace centers and get some 5/8" x 3/8" x 7 foot "Stove Gasket" material and some high temperature adhesive and use that material. Do it only on the bottom casting.[p]There is also the possiblility that King of Koals suggested that the casting dimple alignment might be off with the new bands, just a trifle to make the gap more pronounced. The new gasket material should cover that really well.
    Cheers..C~W


Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.