Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Thermometer Replacement?

Options
Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know if the "Kamado" dome thermometer is any better in quality than the "new" BGE thermometer? Does it fit in the hole in the BGE dome without re-drilling? Just wondering out loud. Thanks.
Fireball

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    therm1.jpg
    <p />Fireball,[p]There is nothing wrong with the new thermometer -- as long as you put a spacer behind it to left it away from the hot dome surface. The problem is the heat from the dome warps the plastic lens.[p]A folder piece of aluminum is what I use but others use bottle caps, corks, copper tube, etc.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Gees, I wish I had a grammer checker -- never post while talking to someone else at the same time.[p]left should be lift[p]folder should be folded[p]Tim
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Fireball,[p]First I would like to say that I know nothing about the Kamodo thermometer, so I'm no help there. Given that I've had good luck with a Weber thermometer that would be used with a kettle that fits the BGE perfectly. It is not adjustable, however in the last two years it has tested fine. Walmart and HomeDepot sell them around here for about nine dollars. Another alternative is the Bayou Cooker brand available at HomeDepot as well for about nine dollars and is adjustable. Both have a glass lens and the stems are about six inches.[p]I hope this helps...[p]Zip
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Zip, good advice..also give BGE a call and see if they have made a current change in suppliers. They are or were considering a new source.
    I liked the old thermometers the best, and its odd..the afore mentioned competition customer's were all ordering BGE thermometers back then..:-)
    Cheers to ya,
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    the old BGE thermo that I have is a trooper. That thing is amazing. Sitting outside in the bitter cold stuck in a hole. Then when you demand some info, she coughs it up gladly and accurately. She don't really care how quickly you take 'er up to 600. Or even if you "lap" her around til she reads 100 on he other side. Amazing.[p]Occasionally a slight twist on the little nut, and the minor 4 or 5 degrees that she drifted over the last few months is suddenly right on target again. It is a wonderful instrument. I have not used the new one. Lucky enough to have 2 of the old ones. yaheeeeyawooooo! [p]NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, me too! 2 of em. I keep a bit of spam on the glass to waterproof em.
    They still work great 4 and 2 years and runnin.
    They should make a stubby to go in the Mini...:-)
    I wonder why they do make them a certain length for the stem??
    Oooowayeeeehay..! Is this Native American?? (grinnin)
    C~W

• SLOPPY PIG
    Options
    Tim M,I have used a spacer on mine.I currently have 6 new style that are less than one year old and none of them work
    correctly.The 1 old style on my old large is still working great after 3 years.The new model SUCKS and I do not feel that Atlanta gives a rats ass,based on the last phone conversation I had with them.They want me to spend 17.95 X 6
    plus shipping to replace with the same type unit.I may order them from a local Atlanta KNOCK OFF-PRIMO.
    Thanks

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Spam on the glass??? Do the critters get to it at night?? Do you sing the Monty Python spam song when applying it?? heeeeho!
    grinnin here too!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    NB..your a friggin trip bud.....love your sense of humor[p]Wess

• Char-Woody