Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hamburgers lid up/down?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my large BGE today and fired it up. Thanks to all for the advice on size and what not.[p]Did hamburgers using cowboy lump (all I could find here in iowa). Did them at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes total (flip at around 6) with the lid down and various peeks to see if they were done. Used to burgers going a little bit faster then this, so several more peeks then I probably needed.[p]Wife said they tasted a little to smokey for her. Just did them right on the grill w/ no pan or plate setter.[p]Any suggestions? What's the key to great burgurs?[p]Oh, I thought the burgers were great. More juices then I can ever remember. After wife mentioned it, guess I did notice a little bit of smokeyness, but after smoking on an offset for so long and generally reaking of smoke constantly, am not turned off by it. Guess the beer might have dulled my senses as well ;).[p]Thanks,[p]JJ

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    JJ Urich,[p]I can depend on how quick you put your burgers on after you lit your lump. Lump can take a few extra minutes to get a cleaner fire going. If you wait a bit longer next time, you may get less smokiness.[p]I cook mine with the lid down. Just a habit.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    JJ Urich,[p]I've always done them lid down on the Egg, but really on anything else I like to at least sear first without a top. I guess the reason is so that you're just grilling it with direct heat at first to sear it up while not roasting it at the same time. On other cookers, I want to put a nice sear on the second side without it being partially roasted already from the lid-down cooking. After searing both sides, then I'll put the lid on to finish it up if it's thick enough to require that. That's how I cook them on a stovetop, too, finishing in the oven if they're thick enough to necessitate it.[p]So long story short, I've always done lid down on the Egg, but can see the virtue of lid up, as that's how I cook them, at least at first, on anything else.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• GrillMeister,[p]Hmm. I wonder if that wasn't the problem. Was in a bit of a hurry to get going. How long do you wait? I started a half batch of lumn in a chimney starter then threw it on the BGE w/ both vents wide open. Waited 5-8 min I'd guess then put the burgers on.[p]Now that i've actually read the manual, sounds like every thing should be lid down, which I did do :)[p]What's the deal w/ that vcr tape? VCR broke years ago and we never replaced it. Streaming video would be nice and a good free advertisement for BGE to boot.[p]JJ
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    JJ Urich,[p]I would recommend letting the egg get hotter before putting the burgers on the egg. I wait for 500°. Also waiting until you see no smoke should cut back on the smoke flavor.
  • Brobear
    Brobear Posts: 43
    Options
    Rollocks,[p]I agree. I like 450-500 degrees, lid down, chimney open, and control the temp with the bottom vent only(about 1/3 to 1/2 open).

• Essex County
    Options
    JJ Urich,
    Good advice in the posts below. If you want to minimize smoke flavor, you are using the right lump. Cowboy is low density and has very little smoke flavor compared to every other brand I am familiar with. But you should still wait until the fire is well established in order to burn off the early fumes from the lump.
    Paul

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    JJ Urich,
    350 seems awful lo.
    that's a roasting temp, and not a lot of direct radiant heat from the coals.[p]go 550-600. that'll be a nice clean fire, and they won't stick at all when turning. turn them once if you can, turning more than once only gives pretty grill marks, if that's your thing i guess it's fine, but it doesn't help them to cook any faster.[p]the smokey taste was probably from the short time you waited after lighting the lump.[p]one question, was there any lump in the egg that was what you added the stuff from the chimney to?[p]keep the firebox nearly full. that'll put the fire closer to the grid. anything burning will snuff out when you shut the egg down after cooking, for reuse later.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    JJ Urich,
    I do mine with the lid closed because it tastes better that way but also because the high heat is doing a number on the lid handle. I sure don't want my genuine Lawn Ranger Spring Chicken handle to catch fire.[p]Spring "Hot Handle" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA[p]

• JJ Urich,[p]Higher temps and get rid of that Cowboy crap......that stuff ruined two different meals before I realized it was the culpret. I had a lot "uncharred" pieces of charcoal that were producing a ton of smoke. It's made of of floor scrap or plywood, so it's not the good kind of smoke.[p]Get some new lump at your local hardware or farm supply stores if you're in the country......or a bbq store if you're in the big city.
  • stike,[p]Yes, the egg had lump 2" over the air holes or so.[p]I did catfish on the BGE tonight and didn't have any smokey flavor. Waited longer this time.[p]Course, made the newbie "let it heat up to much" mistake this time and sat around picking various orafaces waiting for thing thing to cool. My 2nd cook and I'm having a bit of a time adjusting to how fast thing thing is up and to temperature vs my offset.[p]Cheers,[p]JJ
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    JJ Urich,
    well
    even when it is heating up, put the daisy on as though it's at your temp.[p]i mean that if you are shooting for 350, put the daisy on as though it IS at 350.[p]it won't make it any slower getting to temp, and it won't overshoot (by much)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bgsuvinc
    bgsuvinc Posts: 3
    Options
    once you have your lump charcoal lit for 10 minutes and set your vents close the lid and go about 50 degrees above what you want to cook at burp the egg add the burgers and close the lid
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    And the award for best thread revival goes to...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome @bgsuvinc! Just a suggestion for you... note the date of a post you want to reply to. It's been over 13 years since this thread was started so I'm guessing the OP has figured it out. =)

But it's always nice to see a couple of stike's posts.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    @thetrim has not taking kindly to this resurrection :) 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Timely resurrection for those making burgers this weekend.  Burgers are timeless.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @bgsuvinc After digesting the above insights, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. Above all have fun!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.