Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorta OT - Sam the Cooking Guy, zuck's Greed, and a Worldwide Decline of Community

Botch
Botch Posts: 16,098
I know a few folks on this forum follow the entertaining, worthwhile "Sam the Cooking Guy" channel, and many more here use ewe Youtube regularly.  I've found (maybe 50?) channels/creators (some hate that term) that I enjoy following/participating in, from cooking, woodworking, photography, politics, music, etc; and I spend more time on ewetube than I do watching TV (I guess I'm not alone).
ewetube was a brilliant business model, starting in a college dorm room: host a location for  members' home videos, collect data on which viewers were interested in which content, and then selling that data to advertisers.  I understood that's how it worked going in, and I was okay with that.  zuck and his investors became wealthy, fabulously wealthy, with this business model.  And you'd think they'd be happy about that.    
But, No.  They needed more!  More Money!!  More moneyyy for Us!!!!  In the past year or so I've noticed that every fourth "video" is now an ad, and most if not all actual videos are prefaced with ads, even a 51-second clip from say The Lincoln Project makes you sit thru a 00:15-sec ad first (I use a Mac "App Store" program called "Swizztube" (free) to bypass the ads (even gives you visual cues to skip internal ads by the creator themselves) but it's buggy); otherwise I only watch the "Shorts" on ewetube's website (and I understand they're getting ads now too, soon).  

Today's video from "Sam the Cooking Guy" was condensed down into a short format with voiceovers only, and was robbed of all its charm, I won't be following him anymore if this is the future; I posted this note in his Comments section:

Guys, PLEASE don't push your videos into the "Shorts" format, especially now that zuckerSuck is now pushing ads into the 30-second "Shorts" format. I also applaud you for not following YT's push for you content creators to shove your face into the thumbnail with a STUPID-ASS expression on your face, to garner more clicks. I've already deleted several longtime subscriptions because of that alone. zuck's unbridled GREED is ruining a once-great worldwide community; please don't buckle to his demands. Please.
I'd say 90% of the other comments expressed similar concern.  

The internet is still a free-for-all (for now) and content creators are free to move to a different service, but we've already seen that, as soon as a competitor gains some ground, they're bought out; imagine that's happening here too.  

This is probably a good topic for Friday night; but like Happy Hour, it's Friday somewhere on the globe, right? (I think that's how it works.... :tongue:)  

So the same people that think humans have no effect on climate change, now are convinced they control the weather?  

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,234
    Just a small correction, Botch.

Zuckerberg is not in charge of YouTube.  That would be the guys over at Google.  You want to blame Sergey for this one. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch

Zuckerberg is not in charge of YouTube.  That would be the guys over at Google.  You want to blame Sergey for this one. 
    Thanks; I asked Siri who YT's current CEO was (to double-check), and she replied zuck.
    Guess I have some homework to do later.  

So the same people that think humans have no effect on climate change, now are convinced they control the weather?  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,282
    edited October 17
    I pay for YouTube premium.  Well worth the $11.99/month to me to avoid ads all together.  I can fast forward and rewind until my hearts content.

Also, very highly recommend you listen/read The Chaos Machine.  It will change your views on the entire Social Media ecosystem.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Botch said:

Thanks; I asked Siri who YT's current CEO was (to double-check), and she replied zuck.
    Guess I have some homework to do later.  
    I did know YouTube was a Google property but I didn’t know who the current ceo was either so I asked Siri and she told me it was Susan Wojcicki, which is also not true (she stepped down in Feb 2023). It’s apparently Neil Mohan who took over after her. Siri is apparently having a bad night 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,081
    I’ve done very well with Google algorithms
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    I’ve done very well with Google algorithms
    Me too!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,087
    Regardless of the form of media, my experience has been that nothing is totally free.  You either pay for access or you pay with your time watching ads. Or some combo of the two. Newer forms of media have had grace periods to grab eyeballs, but everyone gets paid in the end, even Sam.
    Not a felon
  • Botch
    Legume said:
    Regardless of the form of media, my experience has been that nothing is totally free.  You either pay for access or you pay with your time watching ads. 
    I disagree, although you are two-thirds correct, and I guess I wasn't clear on the original point I was trying to make.  

On the 'net, you pay cash for access, or you pay by watching ads, or you pay by letting YT figure out your own interests and selling that data to other websites for advertising purposes.  And, as I stated in my OP, I was aware of that, and I was okay with that, and they got fabulously wealthy just with that business model.  

But NO, that wasn't enough for them.  Greed!  Now you can pay them to eliminate the ads on FB, but they're still collecting your "interests data" to still sell to other websites.  Or, you can put up with targeted advertising on other websites (which I accepted), but now I'm getting targeted ads shoved down my throat by FB itself!  That's what I'm so effing p***ed off about.  Sorry I wasn't clear.  

• JohnInCarolina
    Botch said:
    Legume said:
    Regardless of the form of media, my experience has been that nothing is totally free.  You either pay for access or you pay with your time watching ads. 
    I disagree, although you are two-thirds correct, and I guess I wasn't clear on the original point I was trying to make.  

On the 'net, you pay cash for access, or you pay by watching ads, or you pay by letting YT figure out your own interests and selling that data to other websites for advertising purposes.  And, as I stated in my OP, I was aware of that, and I was okay with that, and they got fabulously wealthy just with that business model.  

But NO, that wasn't enough for them.  Greed!  Now you can pay them to eliminate the ads on FB, but they're still collecting your "interests data" to still sell to other websites.  Or, you can put up with targeted advertising on other websites (which I accepted), but now I'm getting targeted ads shoved down my throat by FB itself!  That's what I'm so effing p***ed off about.  Sorry I wasn't clear.  

It seems like the easy answer to this is to simply spend a lot less time on Facebook?
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,376
    "Information wants to be free" When will they ever learn?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch said:
    Legume said:

It seems like the easy answer to this is to simply spend a lot less time on Facebook?
    Which is what I've done; I only watch the "Shorts" on YT anymore (until they're all saturated with ads too), and use an App called Swizztube to watch the longer-form vids (thought I'd mentioned that in my OP too).  

• JohnInCarolina
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    Legume said:

Which is what I've done; I only watch the "Shorts" on YT anymore (until they're all saturated with ads too), and use an App called Swizztube to watch the longer-form vids (thought I'd mentioned that in my OP too).  
    So you aren’t on Facebook at all then? 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,282
    Botch said:
    Legume said:

They got wealthy because of a speculative market.  They sold a promise and a dream to investors.  Now those investors want their returns.  Now everything needs to be monetized to make investors even a fraction of what they were promised.  Can’t sell dreams forever.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Botch
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    Legume said:

So you aren’t on Facebook at all then? 
    My bad for confusing FB and YT again (the only social media I'm involved with, other than special-interest forums).  
    May be time to unplug for awhile.