Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who has the best St. Louis style rib recipe for the BGE????

I have tried many methods but have not hit one out of the park yet and I know some of you have.

Answers

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,274
    i think it just comes down to what you like. i do mine raised grid direct below 300 degree dome temp, some brown sugar and a dizzy pig rub of choice, no sauce mopped on to glaze, some vinegar sauce at the table and drag only the cut side thru it. also i pick out the smaller racks and make sure theres no solution added
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 97
    Thanks, that helps!
  • fishlessman
    Fredb said:
    Thanks, that helps!

you really need to try all the methods multiple times and decide what works for you.  you you try the 321 foil method theres one thing the writeups leave out pretty often. when its in the foil stage its meat side down always, it needs to be meatside down for it to braise
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,027
    As above, I've tried a number of different ways of doing it and I don't really have a favorite.  Sometimes I'm in the mood for smoked meat and I just use a rub and go naked.  Sometimes I'm in the mood for a sweeter ribs and I do them like my competition buddies do with brown sugar and margarine in the foil for about 1.5 hours and a sauce at the end.  Sometimes I split the difference with apple juice in the foil.  Often depends on the audience as well.  Most folks prefer the sweeter versions.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 97
    Thank you both, that is really great info. (You gotta just love this forum and the people on it!)
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,818
    Everybody seems to have a different preference for what they want out of a rib. It would be helpful to know what you did not care for about your previous attempts. I use a variation of 3-2-1 and tend to like brown sugar or pepper jelly in the wrap, but I only have in foil for about an hour or so (and meat side up). There are lots of ways to get there. My bugaboo is mushy ribs, which is what happens when they're in the foil too long. Experiment and track results until you dial in what you like.
    Stillwater, MN
  • fishlessman
    Everybody seems to have a different preference for what they want out of a rib. It would be helpful to know what you did not care for about your previous attempts. I use a variation of 3-2-1 and tend to like brown sugar or pepper jelly in the wrap, but I only have in foil for about an hour or so (and meat side up). There are lots of ways to get there. My bugaboo is mushy ribs, which is what happens when they're in the foil too long. Experiment and track results until you dial in what you like.

i always had to start checking temps and texture at the 45 minute mark when in foil, it was always inconsistent at best. size, meat thickness, temps riding a little too hot. i could serve them fall apart and some look for that
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,807
    Start with quality meat. As Fish mentioned, stay away from the injected cheap stuff. A lot of time goes into ribs so don’t skimp here. 

You can vary the amount of salt and when it is applied to the ribs. I started salting my ribs hours beforehand and then applying a salt free rub right before cooking. I think that getting the salt dialed in is the critical component for ribs. 

I am a believer in indirect ribs and the meat side never touches the grid. 

3-2-1 is a starting point for everyone but adapt to your liking. I only go for 1hr to 1hr 15 minutes on the wrap and then back on grid. 

Any saucing is done during the last 15 mins of the cook. Just long enough for it to set and be presentable. I personally like dry ribs the best. 

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 579
    edited October 17
    Pick out ribs with thickest meat and cut separately like party ribs and put on the rub of your choice and spritz every 20-30 mins with apple juice or apple juice and cider vinegar then cook indirect at 250-275 till about 200F     Will have good bark on all sides of each rib.     takes about 2 to 21/2 hrs

Also if you like sauced ribs put the BBQ sauce on for last 20 mins
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,517
    As above, so many ways to go. I’ve tried all methods and I seem to prefer naked and the bend test. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,281
    Probably Steven Raichlen, at a minimum he has the best photos.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL