Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza, Brasato, Cake and Cornbread

I’m sharing some of my last cooks with a few comments as usual. 
Hope you guys enjoy taking a look

Pizza
We tried making our pizza dough this time, a fairly long process (24h) but it turned out really nice.
Just type “0” flour, fresh yeast, water and salt. Kneading, resting with periodic folds to reinforce the dough, splitting in 280 grams “balls”, and more resting.
My set up for cooking pizza is raised (2nd level of the eggspander) indirect at 700 F, with the ceramic stone around 670 F in the center. At this temperature it takes around 2.5 mins to cook. 
I found that it’s essential to control the stone temperature in relation to the dome temp: higher stone temps are easy to achieve, as it accumulates heat, but should be used with caution to avoid overcooking the base. I took out the stone for a while before cooking the 4th and 5th pizza as it was creeping over 700 F which I found to be too much for a 2.5 min cooking time

Brasato (braised top blade)
First use of my new Lodge casserole. This is more or less the same recipe I posted in July but this time using what is considered the most traditional cut for Brasato: top blade.
Overnight rest with rub, up at 6 am on Sunday to have the thing ready for lunch (!), 3 hours smoking at 240 F indirect, 3 hours braising with red wine, chopped carrots, onion and celery, 20 min sauce reduction directly on the platesetter. The sacrificed bottle was a nice “Primitivo di Manduria”, a fine southern wine.
The Lodge is awesome, the end result was really nice and moist. Great new tool!

Lemon cake
Why not baking a cake while the Egg is still hot? A plain simple lemon cake. Came out perfect. Just need to remember cleaning the Reggulator as it sprinkled black ashes on the cake while tweaked

Ribs, Cornbread and blackberry/redcurrant sauce
The last one is from a Saturday evening meal with friends. After pulling the ribs I did Cornbread for the first time and a simple sauce (this last one on induction). The cornbread was way to sweet for my liking (half cup). What’s your take on this? should I even bother putting sugar in cornbread as it’s not meant to be a dessert? My friends where puzzled by this piece of “cake” along with ribs.

Cheers

Comments