Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

These New Big Green Eggs

CP92
CP92 Posts: 359
Smoking ribs today. Did a clean burn a couple of weeks ago and figured I'd finally submit my claim for a cracked firebox to HQ, so I pulled everything out and did a complete clean out.

Put everything back, filled with lump, started a fire (wadded papertowel soaked in veg oil) got a nice burn going. Shut the lid and let it settle in. Came back about 20 mins later and it had run away a little bit (400ish). No big deal, through my cook grate in along with my deflector to act as a heat sink. Settled in at 250 and threw my ribs on. 

Two hours in the temp kept dropping slowly. Now I'm open on the bottom and top half way with no change. Pull the cook grate and deflector out and don't notice much of a fire. Get the hairdryer out and nothing. I had to relight the freaking fire. 

Remember, I had the issue where I couldn't get my Egg over 500 when I first replaced my older model broken one. We figured out the screen has a tighter weave.  

Def not a fan of the new design and all the little changes they've made along the way. 

Guess I'll throw pics up of the finished product since I'm already here for the day. 

Regards,
Chris
Chris
LBGE
Hughesville, MD

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,224
    Chris,

You might want to look into getting one of these:

https://www.atbbq.com/products/high-que-stainless-steel-high-heat-firegrate-big-green-egg?srsltid=AfmBOopvFfF8VdQUvVnf59ImWUVI_N1OOueRFuG8jRPnyCxP_ACcsj7z

Probably one of the most cost-effective mods for the BGE.  I suspect they fit the new models just fine.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CP92
    Chris,

Thanks, John. But I've been running a Kick Ash basket from the get go though. Assume it would have the same effect as the above?
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • JohnInCarolina
    CP92 said:
    Chris,

Thanks, John. But I've been running a Kick Ash basket from the get go though. Assume it would have the same effect as the above?
    Probably not a huge difference.  I’m assuming you removed the standard grate when you put the KAB in?
  • JohnInCarolina
    What you’re seeing is odd.  It’s got to be that the airflow is getting overly restricted somehow.  But I’ve never had a fire go out on me unless I was trying to keep temps very low.
  • CP92
    edited October 6
    100% agree it's all about air flow. Just odd I never had an issue like this with my old egg. Makes no sense. The only thing it COULD be is too small pieces of lump, but I just don't think so. Second fire/load from a new bag of Royal Oak. Plenty of air flow when I started it and closed the lid.

As I said, it ran away to over 400. Would think if the lump were causing air flow issues from the get go, it woudn't have manifested later in the cook. And after the restart its humming along at 262 with the vent settings just about where they started to begin the cook with. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • I am actually pretty happy with all the changes since I last bought an egg. New cap, hinge, nest, eggspander etc along with a much improved unboxing and setup things have come a long ways. 

I do have a ash can and basket but have had no issue reaching any temp 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 422
    I have a relatively new Large (with the new cap) and am running a KAB and, at the same time, the standard cast iron ash grate. So far, there haven't been any problems with either getting to temperature or holding a temperature. Just a data point
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,648
    Just checking.... Is the vent opening on the fire bowl lined up with the vent on the base?
    I do understand you had a runaway fire but just checking the basics.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • CP92
    kl8ton said:
    Just checking.... Is the vent opening on the fire bowl lined up with the vent on the base?
    I do understand you had a runaway fire but just checking the basics.
    Definitely lined up. Thanks for checking. 
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    Yeah, guess we can chalk it up to operator error. We'll see if it occurs again.

Thanks for all the input/suggestions.

Chris
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • if i ever have issues like this, i break out the homemade “wiggle rods”.  used to disturb the bed of lump and open up paths for air. 

basically a couple of long sturdy ss skewers. one has a 90 degree bend on the last 4” that i use through the bottom vent upwards. other is straight and used from cooking grid downward. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,854
    edited October 9
    What you’re seeing is odd.  It’s got to be that the airflow is getting overly restricted somehow.  But I’ve never had a fire go out on me unless I was trying to keep temps very low.

I replaced my ceramics, and the new stuff definitely has less efficient airflow.  The firebox has higher holes (presumably so they won't get clogged) and the fire ring doesn't have the notches for the platesetter (which really annoys me).

It's workable, but it's a downgrade.

NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    buzd504 said:

I replaced my ceramics, and the new stuff definitely has less efficient airflow.  The firebox has higher holes (presumably so they won't get clogged) and the fire ring doesn't have the notches for the platesetter (which really annoys me).

So you’re saying I shouldn’t replace any of the internal components of my BGE, which all happen to be cracked?  🤪

I actually am in no hurry to replace anything, since it works like a champ.  The cracked parts really don’t work any less well than when they were brand new.  
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,854
    buzd504 said:

So you’re saying I shouldn’t replace any of the internal components of my BGE, which all happen to be cracked?  🤪

I actually am in no hurry to replace anything, since it works like a champ.  The cracked parts really don’t work any less well than when they were brand new.  

I'm not saying that.  The new pieces are better than my totally broken pieces, but apples to apples (new parts to new parts) - I liked the old versions better.
    NOLA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,648
    buzd504 said:

Soon you will be ready for the next phase: Go through warranty process and store replacement part in garage for 3 and 1/2 years.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • CP92
    if i ever have issues like this, i break out the homemade “wiggle rods”.  used to disturb the bed of lump and open up paths for air. 

Novel. I'll take that under consideration for sure. Thanks.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 229
    CP92 said:
    Smoking ribs today. Did a clean burn a couple of weeks ago and figured I'd finally submit my claim for a cracked firebox to HQ, so I pulled everything out and did a complete clean out.

Put everything back, filled with lump, started a fire (wadded papertowel soaked in veg oil) got a nice burn going. Shut the lid and let it settle in. Came back about 20 mins later and it had run away a little bit (400ish). No big deal, through my cook grate in along with my deflector to act as a heat sink. Settled in at 250 and threw my ribs on. 

Two hours in the temp kept dropping slowly. Now I'm open on the bottom and top half way with no change. Pull the cook grate and deflector out and don't notice much of a fire. Get the hairdryer out and nothing. I had to relight the freaking fire. 

Remember, I had the issue where I couldn't get my Egg over 500 when I first replaced my older model broken one. We figured out the screen has a tighter weave.  

Def not a fan of the new design and all the little changes they've made along the way. 

Guess I'll throw pics up of the finished product since I'm already here for the day. 

Regards,
    Chris
    Chris, just what are all the changes and Design changes are you speaking of? Just curious.
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas