Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Exotic Cans

When I was a young lad, I had a job one summer moving furniture for a school board. Was at a school one day when I moved a desk to find a long-forgotten can of Coca-Cola. Years back, I researched it and was led to believe it was from the very earliest days of Coke’s canned production, but didn’t bother to look that up again just now, so I’m going entirely from memory. Must be old, as it doesn’t feature a pull tab and requires puncturing to open. 

I enjoy exotic cans and I suspect you may also. Other exotic cans are more than welcome. 

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,315
    I miss pull tabs.  In Japan they had the most amazing orange drink in a can.  It was a tall boy too.  I loved pulling the tab off, then dropping it into the can.  Every pull on that bad boy was like facing death!  Was the tab going to accidentally be swallowed and shred my throat, or was I going to live for another swig!  Nothing makes you feel more like a man.  Roll the a box of candy cigs up in your shirt sleeve, pop the leather collar on your bomber jacket, and hit the juice with a rattling pull tab inside.  Those.were.the.days.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,390
    Remember the tabs you'd push on each side and it would collapse into the can?  If more people liked red beer they might still be around.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,292
    I miss pull tabs.  In Japan they had the most amazing orange drink in a can.  It was a tall boy too.  I loved pulling the tab off, then dropping it into the can.  Every pull on that bad boy was like facing death!  Was the tab going to accidentally be swallowed and shred my throat, or was I going to live for another swig!  Nothing makes you feel more like a man.  Roll the a box of candy cigs up in your shirt sleeve, pop the leather collar on your bomber jacket, and hit the juice with a rattling pull tab inside.  Those.were.the.days.
    Mini helicopter blades on the antenna of my first car, a dart.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 246
    I remember two push dots on the tops of cans. one small to release pressure so that you could push in the larger one for drinking.

Pull tabs used to be a charity collectible. Some one would donate money to some charity for some amount of pull tabs collected.
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,714
    I had not given any thought to the old style cans requiring an opener until this thread.  I  lived thru the era and today have successfully adjusted to the latest way to get the contents out of an aluminum can.  Beer for the win!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,123
    This is a deep rabbit hole, I found a prohibition era whiskey bottle in the barn. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    A buddy crashed a bike on a mountain when we were younger.  Bike landed upside down and a bunch of oil drained out before we realized it would do that.

About half the oil drained out.  He coasted most the way down the backside of the mountain and occasionally turned the motor on to make it over a crest or along some flats.

We stopped at the old back country mountain grocery store near the bottom.  We found an old can of Penzoil 4 stroke oil.  Had approximately 47 years of dust on the top.  We bought it, because we still had 30 miles to
    go before we got home.  We never trailered.  Well when we went to put it in the bike we couldn’t figure out how to open it.  We had to go back and ask the proprietor.  He let us borrow an old can opener he had behind the counter.  We punched  bleed hole and a pour hole.  Worked like a charm.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,121
    edited August 1
    We stopped at the old back country mountain grocery store near the bottom.  We found an old can of Penzoil 4 stroke oil.  Had approximately 47 years of dust on the top.  We bought it, because we still had 30 miles to
    go before we got home.  We never trailered.  Well when we went to put it in the bike we couldn’t figure out how to open it.  We had to go back and ask the proprietor.  He let us borrow an old can opener he had behind the counter.  We punched  bleed hole and a pour hole.  Worked like a charm.
    I seem to remember having a pour spout with a sharp bottom, that you plunged into an oil can to pour out the contents.  
    This was mid-seventies, so many brain cells ago...

EDIT:  Wow, I had to surf quite awhile to actually find a pic of this spout, but here it is:

The base/"collar" was fitted to the outside of the can, while that sharp point into the spout pierced the can and sorta sealed against the top.  Wondering if I still have this thing in my back box.    
    Damn, I'm feeling old right now...

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,101
    @Botch those made the most satisfying sound when you got it punched in one push.
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    I seem to remember having a pour spout with a sharp bottom, that you plunged into an oil can to pour out the contents.  

EDIT:  Wow, I had to surf quite awhile to actually find a pic of this spout, but here it is:

The base/"collar" was fitted to the outside of the can, while that sharp point into the spout pierced the can and sorta sealed against the top.  Wondering if I still have this thing in my back box.    
    That would have been a heck of a lot easier than some McGyver bs we pulled with a plastic water bottle.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,075
    We have some vintage bottles. A lot of empties. A lot of spent corks too. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,292
    Botch said:

i probably still have one of those. i know i have a few of the old cans full up at the camp, in the garage on a shelf from when i bought the place
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837
    You can watch some exotic cans smashing beer cans at the Clairmont Lounge in Atlanta.