Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last cooks before holiday break

Paolo
Paolo Posts: 42
I'm wrapping up my first month with the Egg with three more cooks before a summer holiday break. Wasn't shure about posting what might look not-so-interesting cooks to the veterans here, but why not? 

First a slab of ribs. Tried to make them more "chew off the bone", rather than "fall instantly off the bone". Also reduced the bbq sauce to a minimum to suite my wife's liking.
4,5 hours raised indirect at 225 F, then 45 minutes in foil. 

As a dessert I trew a couple of overripe peaches with honey and cinnamon for a few minutes and served with ice cream and "torta sbrisolona" (look it up, its nice!). Picture is bad but the taste was good.

Second cook is a (hopefully correctly) spatchcocked chicken with grilled eggplant as a side. The bird was done 1 hour raised direct at 350 F on the Egg, while the eggplant was done on my gas grill which I find more practical for this.

Finally I tried salmon and made a first attempt with cherry wood chunks. The lady nextdoor lurking at the window behind the curtains is alway a concern to me, so I try to keep smoke to a minimum. 
The fish was dusted with rub, rested in fridge overnight and then cooked direct at 350 C skinside down for 25 mins. Basted with a mix of white wine, EVO, honey, soysauce, paprika S&P. It came out nice and juicy with a hint of smoky flavour.

Will now cover the Egg for a while and enjoy the great cooks from the forum

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,309
    Those all look like winners from here!  Definitely look like you know what you are doing!!

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,245
    Fantastic spread! 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,710
    In other terms a ringer in our midst and glad you are here.  Great cooks across the board.  Sweet ring on those ribs.
    Enjoy the holiday.  I'm sure you are traveling.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,823
    You are far too modest. That all looks great! Thanks for sharing.
    Stillwater, MN
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,791
    I take it that this is not your first rodeo with grilling/smoking . . . good job!

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,232
    Looks awesome!
  • Paolo
    Thanks for the encouraging comments!
    @lousubcap Yes indeed, I will be traveling to South America, let’s see what kind of new cooking inspiration will arise from this.
    @loco_engr I’m certainly new to smoking, to ceramic cookers, to bbq style cooking in general. Previous experience with direct grilling on a fire place (Boy Scouts anyone?) and on a gas grill as well as with cooking in general as most Italians do. 
    As pointed out before the average concept of a “grigliata” here is grilling fast and direct, with no cover at all. The concept of slow and indirect cooking defies the traditional view of grilling we are mostly used to. I must say that in the last few years American Style BBQ is becoming more popular and you do find more and more specialized shops and websites. Also kamados are becoming a thing, but mine is still the only one I’ve ever seen live.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,031
    Outstanding.  And I suspect that the lady next door just wants to be invited to eat some of your delicious offerings - or to at least learn the recipes and technique.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Paolo
    Foghorn said:
    Outstanding.  And I suspect that the lady next door just wants to be invited to eat some of your delicious offerings - or to at least learn the recipes and technique.  
    I thought ol’lady next door was trying to find an excuse to call the police, but maybe I should consider this approach!
  • Re: the woman lurking behind the curtains, she probably wants a taste. You should have her for dinner! 🙂

You are really cycling through a lot of classic Egg’d dishes at a breakneck pace, with excellent results. 
  • Paolo
    Re: the woman lurking behind the curtains, she probably wants a taste. You should have her for dinner! 🙂

You are really cycling through a lot of classic Egg’d dishes at a breakneck pace, with excellent results. 
    Thanks! 
    Btw, nice user name and picture, took a while to get it
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,880
    edited July 31
    Paolo said:
    Re: the woman lurking behind the curtains, she probably wants a taste. You should have her for dinner! 🙂

Thanks! 
    Btw, nice user name and picture, took a while to get it
    Thanks. I often get confused with @Great_EGGspectations, a member who participated very fervently, but for an exceptionally brief period, IIRC. Just remember that I am the cool one! 😉

The picture was a part of a series of AI-generated photos of some members recently developed by fellow member @OviedoGoddess). They were designed as caricatures, with some being more flattering and generous in their depictions than others. 
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 236
    Chianti?
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian