Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco new lump charcoal

Mr1egg
Mr1egg Posts: 398
Wondering if anyone had any info on this charcoal? Seems like a good price but I've never heard of it, comes in at 10kg too so I like that.

Comments

• Mr1egg
    edited July 10
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,054
    Does is say what the wood is and/or where it comes from? I would shake it, if it feels heavy and sounds dull, hard pass.
    Not a felon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,756
    Legume said:
    Does is say what the wood is and/or where it comes from? I would shake it, if it feels heavy and sounds dull, hard pass.
    I’m a loyal Rockwood customer and always will be. With that being said, one could buy a bag and return it if it sucks. 
  • Mr1egg
    Ya I'll be buying a bad next time I go there, just scared to buy like 10 if it goes on sale.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,052
    I don't see the word "Lump" anywhere on that bag; was it lump or briquettes?  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,627
    edited July 11
    Could you return the ash itself just say you were unhappy with the performance? 

Edit to add: any Costco customer service rep would be horrified that you found a nail or a rock in that bag!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Mr1egg
    It felt like it was lump when I felt the bag. Lol you're right I could try some and return it and say I found a nail if I don't like the bag.
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 210
    It's lump. I bought a bag. My experience is with Jealous Devil, Maple Leaf FSC, all the BGE varieties, and the Extra. I grill indirect and direct, I do not smoke or do long and low.

That said, the Extra lump is my least favourite. least easy to start, prone to smelly blue smoke and some of the pieces are too big for the fire bowl of my LBGE. I took a measure and some pieces were  11" long. The piece beside is only 6" but had more girth.

~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,594
    Well placed hammer takes care of the over sized pieces-not such luck with small bits.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    lousubcap said:
    Well placed hammer takes care of the over sized pieces-not such luck with small bits.  
    only when it's properly carbonized.  I've had tree branches in some brands that you would need a chainsaw to cut 
    Not a felon
  • Legume
    And for what it's worth, I've noticed the velocity and swirliness of the smoke from the cheap lump is much less than the good lump.
    Not a felon
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,357
    Legume said:
    And for what it's worth, I've noticed the velocity and swirliness of the smoke from the cheap lump is much less than the good lump.
    With cheap lump, for good swirls,  try reducing upper vent opening to 50-60% of your normal setting.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,396
    I have a couple of bags and like it.  There is the odd size big piece but not a lot of tiny pieces.  I haven’t noticed any bad smoke,  my go to is Rockwood in the USA but I can’t get it in Canada so this is a good sub.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 210
    have you tried the Maple FSC that you can get in Canadian Tire?
    Maple Leaf Premium 100 Natural FSC Hardwood Lump Charcoal For BBQ Grilling 8-Kg Front_Three_Fourths_Angled_Right
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,108
     There is some wonky lump at TSC on sale... I am thinking about getting a few bags, not sure why but I am a sucker for a discounted product.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Also the label was baffling, it mentions USA and sustainability yet it's a product of South America or something?  Stay tuned.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 497
    I'd be interested in knowing if there is a lot of dust at the bottom of the bag- that's my pet peeve and why I am not longer tempted by Royal Oak- even when it is deeply discounted.  
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,974
    zaphod said:
    Maple Leaf Premium 100 Natural FSC Hardwood Lump Charcoal For BBQ Grilling 8-Kg Front_Three_Fourths_Angled_Right
    Right product but crappy tire price is still too high at $26.99 (was $29.99 last year IIRC).
    Last year some of us bought from BMR in Quebec, on sale for less than $19.99/8kg bag, $10 coupon for mailing list sign-up, free shipping to Ontario for minimum $75 purchase. BMR regular price is still 19.99 but haven't noticed any sale and free shipping lately.
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin

The labeling is not misleading at all!  I bought 2 bags, my fil burns briquettes in his Weber so that will be a good home for them.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• A1_on_A5
    A1_on_A5 Posts: 24
    Weird….this Reddit post from over 3 months ago has the same picture as yours. 

Medium BGE
    Somewhere in NC
  • Mr1egg
    Lol I took the pic from the internet, I took a pic myself but it was just the price and not the bag so I had to find one.
  • Mr1egg
    Right now I'm using maple leaf and cowboy, just wondering what my next one will be. 
  • Legume
    Frontier if you can find it.
    Not a felon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,627
    Also the label was baffling, it mentions USA and sustainability yet it's a product of South America or something?  Stay tuned.
    It is sustainable for the USA then, right?  We're not using our own resources?  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    😂
    Not a felon
  • alaskanassasin
    I am just glad to support Namibia “Feeding Americans In Need”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,396
    zaphod said:
    Yes,  excellent but more expensive.  The costco stuff is very good and you get more in the bag
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,974
    Not judging the Costco lump since I haven't tried it. Lesson learned for me... more by volume is good, by weight is 'maybe'. Many years ago I didn't know better and loaded up on some obscure brand lump that was significantly heavier than ML and RO, dirt cheap from a warehouse. Well, if you think Cowboy is bad, this was ten times worse :blush:
    canuckland