Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

always add new charcoal?

zaphod
zaphod Posts: 236
I had a quick burn today for some dogs at lunch (match on speedilight to snuff was only 35min).  Obviously I burned very little lump. Tonight after cleaning out the ash I didn't really see much room for new lump. I added a bit, but does anyone just burn on the old lump without adding any new? I knocked the ash off the used lump with my poker, but would there be any issues with lighting or taste? 
~~
Walk softly, leave a good impression.
large BGE, vegegrilltarian

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,113
    This is what I usually do (but I only cook for myself).  I only add lump when I can see the wires at the bottom of my basket, or have a long cook coming up.  
    A big advantage of using the used lump is that you don’t have to wait for the smoke to clear, the volatiles are already gone.  

The Past, Present, and Future all walk into a bar.

It was tense.  

• I always like to add fresh lump to any residual from the previous cook. The few times I’ve used nothing but leftover lump, i) I find it gives off a stale smoke smell (almost faintly like cigarette butts), and ii) It doesn’t burn as hot, so temps are not what I expect with fresh lump. 

Mixing in fresh for every cook help keep things consistent from one cook to the next. 
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 497
    If Im in a rush and I think there is enough lump for whatever cook I am starting- I generally don't add new lump.  My rule of thumb is related to not wanting to worry about the possibility of loosing heat during a cook because there isn't enough lump.  In general used lump tends to light more easily (unless we've had a few days of wet weather).  Having said that, I probably add new lump 90% of the time (just so I don't have to think about the possibility of not having enough)
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,654
    I probably add new lump 1/3 of the time.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Bellavista52
    Bellavista52 Posts: 150
    I agree with @GrateEggspectations and add a little with each new burn.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,319
    I also like to add a little fresh lump each cook. 
    Living the good life smoking and joking
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,095
    I load it up full and then just burn leftover lump every cook until I know I need more than what's left in there for next cook. I've never had a smell issue from surviving lump, but I do tend to let it burn a little longer with a little more air after a greasy cook before shutting it down.
    Not a felon
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,133
    I use the Leftover Lump to fill my Charcoal Chimney, then I add new lump qty as needed and dump the chimney on top when lit.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,597
    I add fresh lump when there's enough room for it. Typically I am filling top 3 to 4 inches with each burn (if it's less than that, I wouldn't bother).

But I would give it a stir and clear the ashes before every burn, whether I add lump or not.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,030
    Legume said:
    I load it up full and then just burn leftover lump every cook until I know I need more than what's left in there for next cook. I've never had a smell issue from surviving lump, but I do tend to let it burn a little longer with a little more air after a greasy cook before shutting it down.
    This.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,822
    Definitely depends on the situation, but you can be cooking faster without adding new lump if it's a quicker cook and the only real danger is running out of fuel.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,304
    I do it differently every time.  I like only used lump because it is ready to cook on faster.  VOCs are already gone so no need to wait.  Hit temp and start.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• zaphod
    well - that's all over the gamut :)

I'll probably continue to top up. but knowing that a lot of people don't, it's good to know that there is no harm in not topping up.

thanks all.
    ~~
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,508
    zaphod said:
    well - that's all over the gamut :)

I'll probably continue to top up. but knowing that a lot of people don't, it's good to know that there is no harm in not topping up.

thanks all.
    It really depends on how long you are cooking on the next cook. I’ve found over the last decade or so that I “top off” my charcoal a lot less often. Most of my cooks are relatively shorter. If I know I’m smoking something that is going to take several hours, I will top it off. If not, I usually let it ride with what I have in it. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• zaphod
    yeah, being a vegegrilltarian most of my cooks are under an hour - and that's for roasting a whole cauliflower head, or mac & cheese or a chili sin carne.

I was surprised at the 35min match to snuff timing for hotdogs, but everything came together nicely.
    ~~
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 399
    If I think I have enough lump for my current cook easily, I wouldn't add anymore.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,113
    Love the phrase "match to snuff"... stolen!  

The Past, Present, and Future all walk into a bar.

It was tense.  

• Longtrain
    Longtrain Posts: 55
    I always add a bit of new lump to the pot.  I, as others have found that used lump doesn’t burn as hot as the new stuff.  Doing a long cook, pork butt, etc., I have even removed the used lump, set it aside for a burger or hotdog cook, for a full load of fresh lump that will cook at a consistent temp for the duration. 
  • zaphod
    just to follow up on this post, today I did my first double cook. Four course lunch on the egg (3 direct, 1 indirect) and then an hour later my wife said ... "what do you think about something simple on the egg for supper.... "

by 3:30 it was down to 100F or so, so I opened it, pulled out the plate setter, opened the vents, and knocked about the lump to get off the ash.  When I lifted the basket to look at the ash it was only a little warm. I poured in some fresh lump and lit a couple of speedilights. When I leaned in with the match I could hear the tink tink tink of the charcoal starting to get going.  I think that if I had left the lid up with the vent wide open I'd have had fire by itself. No surprise, as a kid I used to nurse dead campfires to life in the morning when I was camping.

Thing lit fine, supper was had and no ash taste, nothing out of the ordinary.
    ~~
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,822
    I almost always add new, but used lump is great because it lights quick and is ready to cook on in no time. Depends on length of cook, but just ensure you have enough in there if not adding.
    Stillwater, MN
  • zaphod
    yeah, this was my first time adding to a still warm previous fire. and it worked great. well, it worked basket. I replaced my grate.
    ~~