Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone-In Beef Ribs

booksw
booksw Posts: 497
This pic is from a Chuck bone-in beef rib smoke from 6 years ago.  Since then I have done this cook many times and have been aiming to learn more about types of been rib.  I learned from @ColtsFan about 'beef plate short ribs' and to look for NAMP 123 which I have never found, and from @logchief that there are two types of beef rib- plate and chuck, and that they come in 3 and 4 bones.  Also- @lousubcap taught me that there is also such a thing as beef back ribs.

This weekend I am on a beef bone-in short rib adventure.  I have a new local butcher who is excited to be able to order them for me and they will come in to his shop tomorrow.  I am not sure what they are other than I told him I need to have enough to feed 9 adults (I am also going to grill some SC Shrimp.  I plan to season them Friday night and put them on the egg Sat around 10:30 AM which should give me 6-7 hours of cook time to the toothpick test.  Then I will FTC them while I get the grill up to temp for the shrimp.

Happy 4th!!
Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,706
    edited July 4
    Sweet cook right there that has aged well  :) .  Beef ribs beat their pork cousins every time.
    Any beef rib cut beyond the back ribs becomes brisket on a stick.  
    I have a 3 bone beef plate rib (weighs in at 7.7 lbs) cook going now.
    Will post a separate thread to hopefully increase forum participation.  (Likely wishful thinking as the cook  is quite pedestrian but the eats are great.) 🇺🇸
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • booksw
    thanks @lousubcap- what do you mean by 'cut beyond the back ribs'?

Maybe I'm outdated, but to me it is the 'pedestrian' cooks that make the egg worth having (and worth chatting about!)
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • lousubcap
    Back ribs don't have enough meat to qualify for "brisket on a stick" designation.  Beef ribs cuts beyond that can make the grade.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,245
    Nice cook. If you fancy trying to braise them, they can be excellent cooked like that. I use this recipe https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2021/05/01/braised-beef-short-ribs-with-red-wine-sauce/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• booksw
    OK so plans changed.  My butcher friend called me yesterday morning to say that his truck arrived and no beef ribs were on it...  poop.  So back to square one which of course would have been easier if I had had more notice.  Anyway, I knew I was short on errand time yesterday so I called the grocery store (where I already had a "pick up" order to be picked up later that day, and I asked them about their bone in beef short rib supply.  I told her I needed 20 pieces for my crowd.  When I got them home and unpacked my bag- I had 25 pieces.  I seasoned them this morning just with the BGE Ancho Chile and Coffee rub- no binder.  They sat in the fridge that way for about 3 hours and I just put them on the grill.  My window is about 6 hours so fingers crossed that will work- then crank the heat and cook asparagus and the shrimp.  I'm doing whole sweet potatoes in the oven (not too summery but I have a local farmer who grows them and they are really good).  
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    Nice cook. If you fancy trying to braise them, they can be excellent cooked like that. I use this recipe https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2021/05/01/braised-beef-short-ribs-with-red-wine-sauce/
    um that looks amazing @stormbringer  If I didn't have 25 to cook I might have opted to change course and try it!  Note to self for another time!  Although it looks spectacular, my style tends to err on as little fuss as possible- so I'm not sure I could generate the energy for it- but hopefully I will!
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,654
    I bet that smells amazing!  Do you have gators in that water behind ya?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • booksw
    They DID smell amazing and we had a great meal.  I was a bit disappointed that they came out dry.  At least they weren't tough (which would mean I didn't leave them on long enough).  I am not sure why they turned out dry.  No one complained!! I silently made note of the dr  I served them with 'alabama sauce' which is a mayo/vinegar mix.  I know it isn't mainstream but it's my favorite.

Why were they dry?

Yes we have alligators in this part of the world, though we don't see them too often at our house.
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,010
    Amazing bark and doesn't look that dry to me, sometimes we're our own worst critic.
    canuckland
  • booksw
    edited July 7
    For SURE I am my worst critic.  I have a few left over.  What do you think would happen to them if I heated  them up in a red wine/chicken stock/rub mix on the stove?  Would they dry out more?
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • lousubcap
    Those look great and as noted not dry at all.  And no "sometimes."  We are our own worst critic.
    Great plate right there as well.  Sweet cook.
  • booksw
    thank you thank you!!
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,838
    Isn't bone-in ribs redundant?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser