Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill grate usage

So talking with my BGE dealer, I was told for low and slow cooks to always use the small grill grate at the very bottom. But I also have the charcoal basket with same holes that match up with the bottom grate. So I need to offset those holes to get lower temps for longer? Not sure why I need the lower grate unless it holds down the heat. Any recommendations are appreciated. 

Answers

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 775
    I'd guess your BGE dealer doesn't use a BGE. The bottom grate may make a difference if everything else is the same. Also possible that they meant the bottom vent and that you're going to want it almost closed. Just keep the bottom vent and top almost closed and use that for control. Don't chase the temp. Give it 30 minutes to see what the adjustments you make equal out to 
  • Spankdawg33
    Spankdawg33 Posts: 4
    Thanks for that info. Yeah I was a little lost on the bottom grill grate because if I didn’t have the basket I would for sure use that so my charcoal didn’t go straight to the bottom. But was confused when they said use both especially for low and slow. Definitely going to work the vents and and keep them slightly open. They also mentioned as soon as I light the charcoal to close the lid and work the vents to get that slow temp. Looking for 225. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    edited July 3
    Thanks for that info. Yeah I was a little lost on the bottom grill grate because if I didn’t have the basket I would for sure use that so my charcoal didn’t go straight to the bottom. But was confused when they said use both especially for low and slow. Definitely going to work the vents and and keep them slightly open. They also mentioned as soon as I light the charcoal to close the lid and work the vents to get that slow temp. Looking for 225. 

You're doing yourself a disservice if you really lock in to 225.  That works in a stick burner where you have proper airflow, but in an egg, you're going so low that you will get a smoldering fire with bad smoke.

Be happy with 250-275 (even 300 won't break anything) and you will get better smoke, a faster cook, and a better end result. 
    NOLA
  • Spankdawg33
    Thanks for the advice. I’m smoking a Boston Butt. About 9lb’er. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 775
    If you go for 225 and try to get there after first lighting with the lid closed it'll take hours if it ever gets there. When I try to hit less than 300 I hit three spots or so for 15 seconds each and let it go until I can tell that the charcoal is not going to go out. As crazy as it sounds just doing a test burn and adding the pieces is probably worth it to see how things react. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    You are getting sound advice here. I have nothing to add 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Spankdawg33
    So far I’ve kept 250 steady with the Egg Genius and finally feel good about the cook. I have had issues in the past not understanding once the charcoal gets going to shut lid and vent. Thanks everyone for the tips. Have a happy 4th.