Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic shoulder, altitude is at 6,000 feet, dry aged 2.5 days in fridge, injected with apple juice.

Deluca
Deluca Posts: 157
So with these variables I’m getting contrasting cooking times. High altitude takes longer. My experience is the dry again cooks quicker. Injecting adds the moisture back in. Does that counter the effects of the dry again? Plus, this is a picnic shoulder which I’ve never used. All we could find. I have 2 8 pounders and planning on 225 temp. We have the time so we’re going to use it. 

Any thoughts on time per pound for this?

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,097
    No idea on time per pound, but I'd cook it hotter than 225.
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,308
    I’d cook at least 250 and pull when it’s done.  Start 1-2 hrs earlier than you think and wrap and rest it while you wait for serving time.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837
    edited July 2
    275F with an extended rest if needed. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,523
    Not sure how injecting acts at altitude but it prolongs my standard cooks at 850’ above sea level 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Deluca
    Thanks all! We sort of decided to go hotter. 275 to 300. We’ll wrap it with butcher paper or foil if need be to speed things up. Do some FTC when it’s done. We’ll adjust as we go. I’ve done low and slow and turbo’s so we’ll see how it goes. 
  • Deluca
    Oh yeah. We have a brisket to do as well!😁
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 779
    So is the intent pulled pork? If so I always try to put it on early and slow and then ramp up to get done, let it stop heating up with the carryover and then in double foil to eliminate seams, in a cooler with a towel on bottom and top, and a two hour rest if I can help it 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,115
    I doubt that a dry cook is affected that much wrt altitude; for boiling things, yes it would (I live at 4,800).  I agree with the above, smoking at a higher temp with more time is good, a longer rest (if required) won't affect much.  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,855
    Botch said:
    I doubt that a dry cook is affected that much wrt altitude; for boiling things, yes it would (I live at 4,800).  I agree with the above, smoking at a higher temp with more time is good, a longer rest (if required) won't affect much.  

Not to be argumentative (and I don't know the answer) but wouldn't the difference in boiling time/temp affect how the water cooks out of the meat, particularly during the stall?
    NOLA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,115
    buzd504 said:
    Botch said:

Not to be argumentative (and I don't know the answer) but wouldn't the difference in boiling time/temp affect how the water cooks out of the meat, particularly during the stall?
    It might.  I guess the thing I was focusing on is, does higher altitude affect the 170º+ when collagen melts, in a brisket or pork butt?  I don't know the answer either.  :shrug:  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,308
    Botch said:
    buzd504 said:
    Botch said:

It might.  I guess the thing I was focusing on is, does higher altitude affect the 170º+ when collagen melts, in a brisket or pork butt?  I don't know the answer either.  :shrug:  
    Every 500 ft is about 1 deg F less.  Do with that info what you may.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL