Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Car Wash Mike?

7smcb7
7smcb7 Posts: 27
edited June 30 in EggHead Forum
Making ribs today. Car Wash Mike’s ribs call for them sitting in the fridge post-rub for an hour beforehand - “at least an hour, no more fhan two”. My scheduling makes that tricky. 

What would you go for - a half hour, or 2 1/2? What is the point of the fridge rest…

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,227
    I wouldn't worry about it. I took my ribs out 30-45 minutes before I put them on the grill this morning. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837
    I’d go 2.5hrs. It’ll give the salt in the rub more time to work its magic. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,308
    Pretty much anything we do is an easy +/- 1 hr.  I wouldn’t stress about it.  Personally, for marinades and rests, I would error on more time.

remember every piece of meat is different, that is why this is more art than science.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 770
    What a nice feeling to see a Car Wash Mike reference post in summer 2024.  Hope it went well!  Definitely some flexibility in times and temps— and enjoy the fellowship most of all. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,132
    I dust and go with ribs. They are so thin that if you salt them too early, they turn “hammy”. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,201
    I dust and go with ribs. They are so thin that if you salt them too early, they turn “hammy”. 
    We’ve been dialing our ribs in here - 100% less time is better on the Hammy Factor…

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,838
    First off, I miss Carwash Mike....can still remember the time we caught him up early at the OK City Fest, digging around his truck in some kinda back pain. Asked him what happened, he said he slept on a funky bed...we said....sure ya did.......will she be at the fest........

putting the ribs in the fridge just slows down the process. takes the salt in the rub longer to dissolve and extract moisture. cools the meat so you have a better chance at a smoke ring and lets the ribs slowly warm up during the first phase of the x-x-x method.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,823
    edited July 2
    On the list of things that will make your ribs a success or failure, I'd put the amount of time they sit in the fridge after applying rub as one of the last things to concern yourself with. I'm sure they'll turn out great whatever you do.
    Stillwater, MN