Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Stoage… BAG?!?? Whatchya think?

Options

Comments

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 387
    Options
    I have a couple of largish plastic storage containers that I put the charcoal into. With the top off, I can see what I'm getting.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,691
    Options
    It might keep the rain out, but it's also sealing all the ambient moisture in.  A trash can that can breathe is a much better alternative for 1/3 of the price.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,774
    Options
    You have to perfect the string removal technique before you can buy the rig... =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,156
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You have to perfect the string removal technique before you can buy the rig... =)
    The baffling part here is my technique is consistent with a positive result rate of perhaps 33%.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,135
    Options
    It might keep the rain out, but it's also sealing all the ambient moisture in.  A trash can that can breathe is a much better alternative for 1/3 of the price.
    Yep. In the UK that is $90, I can get a trash can for a quarter of that price. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    We’re still talking charcoal bags, right?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    lousubcap said:
    The baffling part here is my technique is consistent with a positive result rate of perhaps 33%.
    The trick (Rockwood based) starting with the front of the bag facing way from you is to realize that the stitching process can start or finish on opposite ends of the bag at least as I have seen it.  But always start with the back orientation and find the extended knot-then cut that piece and go.  Always brings a smile-the simple pleasures of life!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,156
    Options
    I think that is my method, loop section of stitching facing me, cut knot off edge big end of loops point to, then pull string off the back (sometimes).  ;)
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,319
    edited April 26
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    dbCooper said:
    lousubcap said:
    The trick (Rockwood based) starting with the front of the bag facing way from you is to realize that the stitching process can start or finish on opposite ends of the bag at least as I have seen it.  But always start with the back orientation and find the extended knot-then cut that piece and go.  Always brings a smile-the simple pleasures of life!
    The trick is to not use a knife. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,732
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    dbCooper said:
    lousubcap said:
    Wait. What? I use a knife 90% of the time.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,695
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    We’re still talking charcoal bags, right?
    No, potato bags and rice bags.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Friday night... B)
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,394
    Options

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,319
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    lousubcap said:
    dbCooper said:
    lousubcap said:
    I haven’t used a knife in years. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    lousubcap said:
    dbCooper said:
    lousubcap said:
    Knife use 100% here - click, slice, click. Done in two seconds. Who's got time to futz around with a string?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 723
    Options
    Knife here too. I guess the few times I attempted the pull and didn't get 100% I didn't feel like the satisfaction would be worth the added time. 
  • stlcharcoal
    edited April 27
    Options
    We use a two string lock stitch, so it opens different than everybody else that use a single string chain stitch.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,344
    Options
    My bags of feed open up perfect 100% of the time.  They even have a little tab to pull so you can’t screw it up. @Stlcharcoal says feed companies hang their bags and stitch
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Elijah said:
    Knife here too. I guess the few times I attempted the pull and didn't get 100% I didn't feel like the satisfaction would be worth the added time. 
    Bragging rights > satisfaction
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I have torn an entire bag open in frustration.  That didn’t make the situation any better.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • stlcharcoal
    edited April 27
    Options
    My bags of feed open up perfect 100% of the time.  They even have a little tab to pull so you can’t screw it up. @Stlcharcoal says feed companies hang their bags and stitch
    Yes those pinch bottom bags are manufactured with that pull strip on top.....they fill the upside down and stitch shut.  We have square bottom bags so they stand up, have to stitch the top and can't use the easy pull strip.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,930
    Options
    What kind of 4 legged friend do you have that you are buying bags of feed?
  • Canugghead
    edited April 27
    Options
    ooops wrong thread
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:
    What kind of 4 legged friend do you have that you are buying bags of feed?
    5 horses and 4 dogs.  I go through a lot of feed.
  • RRP
    Options
    5 horses and 4 dogs.  I go through a lot of feed.

Hells bells, man, no wonder why you wanted to leave Illinois! Our jelly belly governor JB Pritzer wouldn’t  want “your type” smelling up Chicago  in a few months
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 10
    Options
    I have 2 of them. I find them handy and relatively good looking - better than a tub or bin which my wife would like even less than me. I have two because I am always running two types of lump and don't like running out, so two lumps on the go mean two charcoal bags. I keep meaning to buy some luggage tags and prefit them with a pictures of the lump varieties I buy so I can identify which bag is containing which lump.

I keep the lump in the paper bag inside the storage bag. Some people just put the lump in sans bag, but that gets dirty pretty fast. Pouring into the egg is easy, the handle on the bottom helps a lot. one gloved hand grabs the paper bag, the other ungloved hand grabs the built in handle and away we go.

I did look at the weber 20lb bag, but it's for 20lbs of briquettes and there is no way 20lb of lump would fit in it.

now the bad. 

The bag is not waterproof.  I had one out on the deck in the rain and water got into it. bit of a mess. I *may* have had the rolled top toward the direction of the rain, but a dry bag's rolled top should not leak.  Worse was that the zipper of the side pocket leaked causing my backup box of starter bricks to get soaked. They dried out, but the box dissolved. sigh. 

after that, i ensure that the  top is two or three rolls and facing away from the direction of rain. (all my wind comes from the south, so does the rain). However I still had a box of starters get wet. sigh.

For the rest of winter I stored under the deck on the walk out patio. Works out well as I have a routine that when I take a pan of cold ashes to the compost, I grab a bag on the way back and fill the egg. So my egg is ready for the next lighting if the mood strike me. With drier summer weather coming I may bring a bag up on the deck with the egg, but the clean and fill works well for now.
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,166
    Options
    Well… not waterproof doesn’t do me any good at all. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    That seems like a major design flaw.  Might as well just keep the charcoal bag outside.
  • RRP
    Options
    I agree, but I wonder why BGE says it is:
    The Big Green Egg all-weather charcoal storage bag is the perfect solution for keeping charcoal dry and ready to use, even in the toughest of conditions.