Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Monday spatchcock

Options
sheetmetalpete
sheetmetalpete Posts: 276
edited April 16 in EggHead Forum
Right before last Thanksgiving it was time to part ways with my 20-some old laying hens.  The guy who normally takes them lives 60 miles away so I gift them to him.  He works at a processing plant so this time he traded with me and gave me a case of fresh chickens.  It was time to use one today.

I haven't posted in a while so here are a couple pictures and thanks for looking!

Glencoe, Minnesota

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,366
    Options
    That bird looks amazing. Thanks for the push to make one this weekend. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,036
    Options
    Good to see you posting! The chicken looks great! Any new car projects?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Looks like you did it justice!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,088
    Options
    Great photo of it being cooked in the MMX. Did you do it direct for the whole cook, if so what temperature? Did you put anything on the skin to get that lovely colour?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Yes, I too have questions about the colour.  What manoeuvres were necessary to get it to look that good.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Thanks.  I cooked it raised direct at 400 degrees - flipped it a time or two.  I used Moe Cason chicken rub and glazed it with some Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy sauce.  
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Good to see you posting! The chicken looks great! Any new car projects?
    Thanks!  Nah.  Just need to finish some mechanical stuff on my Challenger before I start on the next one.  It's been sitting for over a year.  I had shoulder surgery a while back so now I'm getting some strength again it's time to get my act together.  =)    
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    That looks fantastic!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va