Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How about some Easter dinner ideas?

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
Every Easter at Casa Teefus it's Ham, Cheese Potatoes, and Asparagus. Never not yummy, but getting boring.

I'm looking for some outside the box ideas. Whatcha Got?
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited March 28
    Options
    going to make a couple canadian pork toutierre pies for saturday with some ham and kale colcannon. easter will be left over pork pie with lamb and smoked ham and cheese scalloped potatoes for easter dinner

didnt make my traditional tourtierre for the xmas holidays this year. cant find the recipe i have here, its up at camp but its mostly pork, potatoes, onion, coated with a ketchup frosting when serving

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    maybe a side of lasagna with the lamb instead of potatoes

another pic of pork pies, really looking forward to these this weekend

Tell me more about this please 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options

ill have to look and see if i have the recipe at home tonight. it was something my portuguese nana would make for family events when i was young. she gave everyone in the family a different recipe. i merged the copy i had with stikes wifes recipe, it is pretty close to what i remember it being. i will look for it tonight, its pretty much a french canadian christmas pie. when served at a gathering the men grab the pie and disappear into another room and devour it. needs the ketchup frosting, either straight up ketchup or mix in a little heat, the french canadians and my grandmother would never add rooster sauce  ;) i allways used the lard crust recipe off the snows lard box but i have not seen lard up here for a long time

looks similar to this recipe, change the cinnamon to allspice, ill look for my copy and post it tomorrow if i can find it. google doesnt seem to go back as far as it used to, and i know ive posted it here before but cant find it

similar recipe

fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    Options

ill have to look and see if i have the recipe at home tonight. it was something my portuguese nana would make for family events when i was young. she gave everyone in the family a different recipe. i merged the copy i had with stikes wifes recipe, it is pretty close to what i remember it being. i will look for it tonight, its pretty much a french canadian christmas pie. when served at a gathering the men grab the pie and disappear into another room and devour it. needs the ketchup frosting, either straight up ketchup or mix in a little heat, the french canadians and my grandmother would never add rooster sauce  ;) i allways used the lard crust recipe off the snows lard box but i have not seen lard up here for a long time

looks similar to this recipe, change the cinnamon to allspice, ill look for my copy and post it tomorrow if i can find it. google doesnt seem to go back as far as it used to, and i know ive posted it here before but cant find it

similar recipe

Thank You @fishlessman
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options

Sweet Potato Gratin With Coconut Milk and Chipotle Chile

Serves eight

• 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about six medium), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
    • One 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
    • 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
    • 1 tbs. fresh lime juice
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • 1 tbs. maple syrup
    • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, coconut milk, chipotle chile, lime juice, salt, maple syrup and garlic. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (8 x 11-inch Pyrex is ideal). Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 45 minutes to one hour, until the sweet potatoes are just tender. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until the tops are browned.

(I use a whole chipotle, but I don't cook for eight)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 943
    Options
    lkapigian said:

similar recipe

Thank You @fishlessman

I love French meat pies. Both of my parents are French Canadian and my mom used to make French meat pies every couple of weeks. The Allspice was key, and my mother always said if you put too much,  it'll taste too much like perfume. I never tasted perfume but apparently my mom had. I hope it wasn't off of the neck of another women.

• fishlessman
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    lkapigian said:

similar recipe

Thank You @fishlessman

I love French meat pies. Both of my parents are French Canadian and my mom used to make French meat pies every couple of weeks. The Allspice was key, and my mother always said if you put too much,  it'll taste too much like perfume. I never tasted perfume but apparently my mom had. I hope it wasn't off of the neck of another women.

I put allspice in alot of things, go extremely light if your not a greasy portuguee. This was from my grandmother from the Azores, my french meme couldn't cook a hotdog.....😁
    fukahwee maine

• TheFishWhisperer
    Options

similar recipe

Take a tour with me through my mind and my life and try not to get lost.  Many others have tried and failed.  
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    The traditional leg of lamb.  Here’s last year’s. Got one in the fridge I’m doing the same with. 

• fishlessman
    Options

similar recipe

Take a tour with me through my mind and my life and try not to get lost.  Many others have tried and failed.  
    Anti Easter as well.  Maybe a Cadbury egg will help your sourness😝
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    The traditional leg of lamb.  Here’s last year’s. Got one in the fridge I’m doing the same with. 

Today I watched a new video from Adam Ragusea on why many eat lamb for Easter, and it was a fascinating weave of biology, geography, and history; Adam also deftly danced between the traditions of at least three religions and many, many cultures, without stepping on any toes (hopefully).  

I'm 64 now, and can honestly say I don't think I've ever had lamb!  I've already purchased one of China's finest hams for Easter, maybe next year.  I have had mutton, part of a wonderful outdoor community dinner we had on an Indian Reservation in north-central New Mexico, right before we played a HS Graduation dance for the tribe (a day/night that I probably should make a whole thread on, it was quite an adventure).   

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:
    Dyal_SC said:

Today I watched a new video from Adam Ragusea on why many eat lamb for Easter, and it was a fascinating weave of biology, geography, and history; Adam also deftly danced between the traditions of at least three religions and many, many cultures, without stepping on any toes (hopefully).  

I'm 64 now, and can honestly say I don't think I've ever had lamb!  I've already purchased one of China's finest hams for Easter, maybe next year.  I have had mutton, part of a wonderful outdoor community dinner we had on an Indian Reservation in north-central New Mexico, right before we played a HS Graduation dance for the tribe (a day/night that I probably should make a whole thread on, it was quite an adventure).   

Sear some leg as a rare  kabob, kick yourself. Get a Greek/ Lebanese recipe key is rare,hard sear, no reheat. Start with a kabob
    fukahwee maine

• Teefus
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Hard pass on the lamb. While the visual presented above is delightful. I've had a hate/hate relationship with lamb since I was a kid. We raised them (among other critters) when Teefus was a pup. Cute little buggers and fun to have around, but I found the smell of the lanolin in their wool absolutely revolting. I pick the same thing up in the meat. It just has that odd off flavor. Mutton is many times worse. I can't suppress the gag reflex. Bride of Teefus does not share my views and a couple times a year I hold my nose and grille her some lamb chops. The things you do for love (44 years together in May).
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Congratulations on that Teefus
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • fishlessman
    Options

heres the recipe i use, the carrots i sometimes add but usually dont with this recipe

fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    Options

heres the recipe i use, the carrots i sometimes add but usually dont with this recipe

Thanks so much !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    picked up some tabbouleh, hummus, labne keifer cheese, cucumber feta salad, bag of zaatar, fresh pita and some kalamata olives from the local lebanese bakery. looks like the lamb will be saturday, pies sunday
    fukahwee maine

• Teefus
    edited April 1
    Options
    After much thought, I decided to do an Easter Brisket. I channeled my inner Bubbee and did a Jewish style braised brisket flat with onions and carrots.