Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza....Repeatable

Options
CP92
CP92 Posts: 327
While I won't even begin to say I've mastered it, I am thrilled to have repeated results from my last attempt. I had a bit of a SNAFU with the first one as I tried to do a thin and crispy. Only heated the Ooni to 630. I think I spread the middle of the dough too thin and as I was rotating it, I torn a hole in the middle. Managed to salvage most of it. 

The one below I ran the oven back up to 950 and it was fantastic. I used Costco dehydrated wild mushroom mix and topped with pepperoni and some grated parm over the top. 

This was a confidence builder for next weekend. We have friends and family coming for Easter and plan on cooking about 10 pizzas. 

Now, does anyone know how to get rid of the leathery film on top when fermenting in the fridge overnight?

Chris
LBGE
Hughesville, MD

Comments

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,087
    Options

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    Beautiful.

Instead of rotating in place I find it easier to pull out partially, rotate 1/3 on peel, push back in (nod @GrateEggspectations @Botch ;) ). Less chance of tearing.

How do you rest your dough in the fridge? I store individual dough balls in these 8" take-out containers, no tough skin.
    canuckland
  • CP92
    edited March 24
    Options

How do you rest your dough in the fridge? I store individual dough balls in these 8" take-out containers, no tough skin.
    Thank you, sir. Both the compliment and tip on rotating.  In the fridge on a sheet pan with a towel on top. I may have to make another purchase...
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Canugghead
    edited March 24
    Options
    CP92 said:

Thank you, sir. Both the compliment and tip on rotating.  In the fridge on a sheet pan with a towel on top. I may have to make another purchase...
    Try making your sheet pan airtight with shrink wrap, should help. No need to buy those containers, just eat a lot of Chinese take-outs!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    CP92 said:

Try making your sheet pan airtight with shrink wrap, should help. No need to buy those containers, just eat a lot of Chinese take-outs!
    Just want to add this: I get condensation at the bottom of the lid. With shrink wrap will the condensation settle on your dough and make the top soggy? You may want to experiment with a small dough first.
    canuckland
  • CP92
    Options
    Just want to add this: I get condensation at the bottom of the lid. With shrink wrap will the condensation settle on your dough and make the top soggy? You may want to experiment with a small dough first.
    Got it.  It's gotta be better than that leather skin. 

I bought one of these proofing boxes last week, but it suggested NOT using it for fermentation in the fridge. I might forego that suggestion and see how it works out. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJVSDYLV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Canugghead
    Options
    CP92 said:
    Got it.  It's gotta be better than that leather skin. 

I bought one of these proofing boxes last week, but it suggested NOT using it for fermentation in the fridge. I might forego that suggestion and see how it works out. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJVSDYLV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
    Box looks nice. I suspect they suggest not to use in fridge as a CYA thing in case the wood shrink, swell or warp; not because it's bad for your dough?
    canuckland
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    Combat the skin…..lid. Don’t be afraid to add about 1/2 tsp of water to whatever container you decide to put it in. The dough will take it in, it won’t be soggy, should also eliminate the wet lid effect
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options

Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Combat the skin…..lid. Don’t be afraid to add about 1/2 tsp of water to whatever container you decide to put it in. The dough will take it in, it won’t be soggy, should also eliminate the wet lid effect
    First off, I wish you full recovery from the ankle injury. Thanks for the tip, will give that a try. With my containers, the water stays in the 'moat', will this work or should the dough ball be in contact with the water at the start?

canuckland
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    First off, I wish you full recovery from the ankle injury. Thanks for the tip, will give that a try. With my containers, the water stays in the 'moat', will this work or should the dough ball be in contact with the water at the start?

Water in the moat will work. I’m more annoyed at the impending crawfish boil and Easter “egging” I’ll be potentially missing out on for Easter with my family at our lake house. If I need surgery, it needs to happen like Tuesday lol