Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

some fun BGE related art

1789101113»

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,656
    People are concerned we’re all going to lose our jobs to AI, but… I’m skeptical, for some reason.
    I am probably a minority, but the use of the term AI is grating on me.  It is a massive language/image model.  Without human created art and written documents it would be worthless.  It is basically a very fancy spellchecker.

It is all derivative and not creative.  
    AI is quite a bit broader than whatever model or models have been used to create the various images in this thread.  AI is basically a model, like what you describe, plus some form of decision making. 

Most of the real examples of AI we encounter every day are examples of weak AI, like when your phone recognizes your own face.  It uses a model to do the classification, and then based on that classification result, decides whether or not to unlock your phone. 

I think your criticism regards the absence of what people call strong AI, where the algorithm has the ability to think, learn, and perform tasks just like human beings.  We’re probably 20 years away from seeing lots of examples like that, but if it comes the basics of some kind of very large neural network to recognize and classify plus an algorithm for decision making are still going to be part of it.  
    I can't seem to recreate the face I had when setting up screen lock. I have about a five percent success rate. So, I agree with your comment that facial recognition on phones is weak AI. ;-)
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,680
    People are concerned we’re all going to lose our jobs to AI, but… I’m skeptical, for some reason.
    I am probably a minority, but the use of the term AI is grating on me.  It is a massive language/image model.  Without human created art and written documents it would be worthless.  It is basically a very fancy spellchecker.

It is all (→) derivative (←) and not creative.  
    one of the 1st things I learned in the data science world from the professor, all data can be skewed to reflect the view of the creator. The creator just chooses the parameters of the data..it could be length of time, it could be use of certain words, or any other variable(s) the creator chooses

I'm certain John will have a retort, but this is my take on ARTIFICIAL intelligence..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,100
    I think that's true for any use of data, we see this all the time in the public domain where lack of transparency is increasingly accepted and at the same time challenged, depending on the viewer's level of agreement with the output. I think the whole domain of "AI" can easily create a bigger challenge to transparency, which has been one of the ongoing fears.
    Not a felon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279
    edited July 23
    billt01 said:

one of the 1st things I learned in the data science world from the professor, all data can be skewed to reflect the view of the creator. The creator just chooses the parameters of the data..it could be length of time, it could be use of certain words, or any other variable(s) the creator chooses

I'm certain John will have a retort, but this is my take on ARTIFICIAL intelligence..
    Not a retort so much as a clarification that it’s not the data itself but rather how it is *interpreted* that’s often the issue.  Although I do find it funny that you’ve started listening to the professor 🤪

Sometimes the data itself is corrupted and this can wreak all kinds of havoc for the analysis downstream, but these days we have better and better tools to identify it.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,710
    The "give me enough numbers and I can give you any result want" plays hard in the world of politics and polling and dang near every other environment where "data" is used to support one's position.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,680
    billt01 said:

Not a retort so much as a clarification that it’s not the data itself but rather how it is *interpreted* that’s often the issue.  Although I do find it funny that you’ve started listening to the professor 🤪

Sometimes the data itself is corrupted and this can wreak all kinds of havoc for the analysis downstream, but these days we have better and better tools to identify it.  
    poop in / poop out..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Just washed my van, the last time I washed it was more than a year ago. Not bad for an almost 25 yo vehicle in winter salt country eh?

How are you and your Egg looking?
  • @Canugghead

The vehicle has held up well. Bet it’s great for hauling Eggs. From the angle of your shot, it looks like your tires may be under inflated, but perhaps that’s just the slope of your entryway. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,279

Just washed my van, the last time I washed it was more than a year ago. Not bad for an almost 25 yo vehicle in winter salt country eh?

That’s an awfully steep driveway, Gary!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,012

Just washed my van, the last time I washed it was more than a year ago. Not bad for an almost 25 yo vehicle in winter salt country eh?

How are you and your Egg looking?
    That egg turned into poop 13 years ago. You can AI add 13 years to the pic above and see how I look now  =)

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    @GrateEggspectations @JohnInCarolina
    Haha, the camera was tilted to minimise photo bombing by trees and houses. It's a workhorse indeed, hauling eggs and countless moving trips to/from university campuses throughout the province for many years; also couple of trips to University of Notre Dame, IN. 
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,292
    edited October 24

the master of duct tape, cant even see the lines

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead

Good eye! Here's the thing...the window got stuck at the 1.5" ajar position early this summer, with the rain visor over it I didn't bother taking it to a mechanic (not worth spending money on) or taking it apart myself (too busy and not skilled enough). Had to tape it up before washing and winter is coming, the tapes were applied in short pieces because it was tricky getting into the cramped space underneath the visor. Doesn't bother me in the summer since the dual AC still works almost like new with original freon. 
    canuckland

• the master of duct tape, cant even see the lines

Good eye! Here's the thing...the window got stuck at the 1.5" ajar position early this summer, with the rain visor over it I didn't bother taking it to a mechanic (not worth spending money on) or taking it apart myself (too busy and not skilled enough). Had to tape it up before washing and winter is coming, the tapes were applied in short pieces because it was tricky getting into the cramped space underneath the visor. Doesn't bother me in the summer since the dual AC still works almost like new with original freon. 
    You know your car is serving you well when the cost of your repairs can be calculated by the foot (or rather metre, in Canadian) in duct tape. You obviously went to the Red Green school of auto mechanics. 😉

Have changed a few door lock actuators over time and the big pain is removing all of the plastics and then praying they don’t squeak like crazy once reassembled. If you ultimately decide to upgrade and trade it in for an older model, you won’t have to worry about electronics at all. 

I love your style in rocking a vehicle that has been faithful for so many years. So many benefits to doing so, assuming the cost of repairs doesn’t exceed the cost of replacement.
  • Canugghead

Good eye! Here's the thing...the window got stuck at the 1.5" ajar position early this summ/ser, with the rain visor over it I didn't bother taking it to a mechanic (not worth spending money on) or taking it apart myself (too busy and not skilled enough). Had to tape it up before washing and winter is coming, the tapes were applied in short pieces because it was tricky getting into the cramped space underneath the visor. Doesn't bother me in the summer since the dual AC still works almost like new with original freon. 
    You know your car is serving you well when the cost of your repairs can be calculated by the foot (or rather metre, in Canadian) in duct tape. You obviously went to the Red Green school of auto mechanics. 😉

Have changed a few door lock actuators over time and the big pain is removing all of the plastics and then praying they don’t squeak like crazy once reassembled. If you ultimately decide to upgrade and trade it in for an older model, you won’t h/ave to worry about electronics at all. 

I love your style in rocking a vehicle that has been faithful for so many years. So many benefits to doing so, assuming the cost of repairs doesn’t exceed the cost of replacement.
    I'm not afraid to take things apart but I also know my limits. This old faithful was destined to be donated when the pesky trouble code reappeared; fortunately along came Doughie (Rob Ford's brother) and the provincial clean air test got scraped. 

As retirees one car is sufficient for our need but I'm still hanging on to it because we have room for it and it's actually 'making' us money! How so? Without this 2nd vehicle we would lose our multi-vehicle insurance premium discount, resulting in a premium increase on the other vehicle that exceeds what we're paying for this one. Heck, it makes financial sense to keep it even after it's driven into the ground :blush:
    canuckland