Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any alternative to MEATER+?

Options
Getting darn tired of this thing.   I change the AAA battery after every use (seems wasteful) and my connection issues persist.   

I clean the probe as clean as possible after every use as well and having problems with the connection still.   

Doing a brisket flat right now and have zero connectivity.  

Is there another probe on the market y’all recommend?    Pretty much done with this thing.  

When it works it is great but it rarely works.   

TIA
LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You are definitely doing something wrong if you're needing to change the battery after every use.  I've had mine for a couple of years now, I use it regularly, and I think I've maybe changed the battery twice.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    You are definitely doing something wrong if you're needing to change the battery after every use.  I've had mine for a couple of years now, I use it regularly, and I think I've maybe changed the battery twice.  
    No doubt John, I don’t necessarily do it bc it needs to, rather being proactive to make sure the probe is properly charged for the next cook.   

I’m at a loss with this thing.   It’s seated/charged properly and is virtually as clean as new after every cook.   

I’m sitting 10’ from the box and the box is 12” from the probe.    Absolutely no connection.   Mind boggling.   
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    Options
    Never used these, but Guga from Guga Foods and Sous Vide Everything on YouTube uses Chef IQ wireless meat probes.

https://chefiq.com/
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    No doubt John, I don’t necessarily do it bc it needs to, rather being proactive to make sure the probe is properly charged for the next cook.   

I’m at a loss with this thing.   It’s seated/charged properly and is virtually as clean as new after every cook.   

I’m sitting 10’ from the box and the box is 12” from the probe.    Absolutely no connection.   Mind boggling.   
    It sounds to me like you just got one that is a lemon.  Mine is nowhere near that flaky, and I'm typically connecting through the stainless steel box that is my KBQ.  
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    I may have John.    BT settings shows it is connected to MEATER+ (I guess the charging box)? But the app shows it is not connected at all which makes me think the probe isn’t relaying to the box.   But what do I know, maybe something different entirely.   Just frustrating.    

It works about as much as my retired neighbor who consults…only works on his terms.   
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Just said screw it and am going back to the old Therm Pro.   Registering temp just fine.  

Tossing the MEATER in the bin.   
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    I don't understand either. Mine holds up well and I've never had a problem with it. Sure sounds like you got a lemon.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    There is a new one coming out tomorrow.  I got to test it for the past few weeks 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    There is a new one coming out tomorrow.  I got to test it for the past few weeks 
    Cool.   Won’t be buying that after this mess.   Have already pitched the current one in the trash.   
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    I’ve had a MEATER Block for two years and have never had an issue. It’s not unusual for me to simultaneously cook with all four probes within ovens located on separate floors of my house and  the eggs outside.  I’ve never replaced the batteries. I would hope that MEATER would make lemonade from your lemon and provide you with a replacement.  
    IL 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Thanks to the DM, will be going the Tappecue route.    Appreciate the recommendation sir.  
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Jim I would dig that thing out of the trash and reach out to meater. You may be surprised by their willingness to make you happy. I had the same issue and I called them and they sent a new unit. It has worked great ever since. If nothing else it could be a backup for you in the future. 
    Snellville, GA

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    I’ve had a MEATER Block in for two years and have never had an issue. It’s not unusual for me to simultaneously cook with all four probes within ovens located on separate floors of my house and  the eggs outside.  I’ve never replaced the batteries. I would hope that MEATER would make lemonade from your lemon and provide you with a replacement.  
    Sounds chaotic! Ovens on separate floors?!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    I’ve had a MEATER Block in for two years and have never had an issue. It’s not unusual for me to simultaneously cook with all four probes within ovens located on separate floors of my house and  the eggs outside.  I’ve never replaced the batteries. I would hope that MEATER would make lemonade from your lemon and provide you with a replacement.  
    Sounds chaotic! Ovens on separate floors?!

We have a complete second kitchen in the lower level of the house. It’s the party kitchen, adjacent to game room, bar, media room and backyard walkout.  Our home was party central while raising children. 

IL 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    FYI, I've calmed down since my issues last night and have contacted Meater.    Will see what they say.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,448
    Options
    I had good luck with Meater when I had an issue.  Very thorough feedback and got it working again. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,497
    Options

https://youtu.be/xkUDVbJM2pI?si=Fxug9ayO5KgdBOLz

think you did the right thing about retrieving and contacting Meater, from everything I've read they're a responsible company.  

However, if that doesn't pan out (and for anyone thinking about a wireless probe) I saw this video last summer but kinda forgot about it; it appeared again on my ewetube this afternoon, the Smokin Dad BBQ channel (our own @unoriginalusername iirc).  He did an impressive set of tests of five of the current probes available, and I'll post a screenshot here of his final results in spreadsheet format:  

TL;DR:  The original Meater still provides the best bang for the buck, despite being the oldest system.  

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill

• TechsasJim
    Options
    @Botch
    so far I’ve only had their AI response.    I did their requisite and am waiting further response.   

The probe is, and always is, as clean as a Cherub’s derrière.   

Will await their feedback.   
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 686
    Options
    Jim, 

Tomorrow I'll write up how I stopped hating my meater plus. Too much to type and it's late. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I know Jim won't care, but Woot! has Meaters on sale today.

https://home.woot.com/plus/smart-meat-thermometers-for-holiday-cooking?ref=w_ngh_dd_hm
    Clinton, Iowa
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I'm having the same problems with my Meater as Jim.  Also about ready to throw it away!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Toss them this way!  Has anyone tried their tech-support?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Well I've been working with their Tech support....they keep trying to troubleshoot and it's not working still.    Their current "solution" is for me to buy a new probe.    yeah, F that.   Fool me once...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,629
    Options
    How many probes do you have - don't they come with multiple?  If all not working...not the probe.

Is it out of warranty?  Their response just doesn't sound right unless they think you're just trying to get a free probe out of them. Did they want the old one back?  I've had situations where I had to pay for a replacement of something until they got the non-working one back and then they credited back to me (as an alternative to sending broken one in first and then waiting)
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    I only have the one, the Meater+, not the block.    They tried to troubleshoot via email and none of their suggestions worked.    They asked for pics, etc and came back and said it was out of warranty (which I'm unsure how they know my date of purchase since I did it through AMZ) but that's irrelevant...their final suggestion was for me to buy a new probe.

No thanks.    I've had problems with this thing since day 1 almost.    My fault for not acting sooner I guess but I'm not going through this stuff again with the holidays coming up.

I have hard-wired temp probes that have never let me down so I'll go that route if I haven't acquired and tested something prior.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,801
    Options
    I only have the one, the Meater+, not the block.    They tried to troubleshoot via email and none of their suggestions worked.    They asked for pics, etc and came back and said it was out of warranty (which I'm unsure how they know my date of purchase since I did it through AMZ) but that's irrelevant...their final suggestion was for me to buy a new probe.

No thanks.    I've had problems with this thing since day 1 almost.    My fault for not acting sooner I guess but I'm not going through this stuff again with the holidays coming up.

I have hard-wired temp probes that have never let me down so I'll go that route if I haven't acquired and tested something prior.

if you are not using it with a rotisserie, why not a wired model. note though, my old maverick wired one still works but i stopped using it years ago. im good with just the instant thermapop
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I use my smobot, no rotisserie here
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I say throw it out.  Not worth the aggravation.

Send them a picture of it in the trash and a link to this thread.  I will look elsewhere next time I need a new wireless probe in solidarity with you.

I also will no longer recommend them.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I say throw it out.  Not worth the aggravation.

Send them a picture of it in the trash and a link to this thread.  I will look elsewhere next time I need a new wireless probe in solidarity with you.

I also will no longer recommend them.

• TechsasJim
    Options
    Pre-trash pics, clean as always.