Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs - in a rib rack do you flip them

Options
Poking the bear.

When ribs are being cooked, and you use a form of a rib rack.  Do you rotate the rack and or flip the ribs?  Is the hot side in the back half?

Plate setter used and a rib rack?

Stack em a say forget about it?

When wrapped or foiled do you flip them or rotate them?

Your favorite temp and time.  Some say 225 for 3 hours 
Some say 275 straight thru
Some say 250 for 4 hours

Before wrapping

What works for you?

This is more for the attention to details that may help someone new.  All while laughing at the remarks

Thanks

I'll start.  Peel the membrane.  Duck fat spray then mustard and then add rub.

270 for about 2.5 to 3 hours in a rib rack verticle.  I flip half way thru and rotate the rack 180 degrees.  Apple juice in a drip pan.  Foil wrapped plate setter legs up. Apple or cherry chunks/chips I don't soak wood 

I spritz with I can't believe it's not butter and apple cider vinger. Every 30 min.

Foil wrap with butter and add west Indian spice for heat and honey. 

1.5 hours in Foil.  Never let drip pan apple juice burn or go empty as it creates a bitter taste. 

Remove ribs add sauce and let cool while changing over grill to remove drip pan and plate setter.

Spray grate with duck fat and Grill ribs w sauce for color. 15-20 min. Slice ribs sauce again and put back on for 5 min just because everything else isn't ready.  

Take photos for no reason.
Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,106
    Options
    @jdMyers - "What works for you?
    This is more for the attention to details that may help someone new.  All while laughing at the remarks"

There are many ways to get excellent rib results.  Cooks posted by you in the past show you do not need any advice.  I especially loved the ones you cooked on a rotisserie spit during a camping trip.  FWIW, this is what I do for spare and beef plate ribs (I rarely do baby backs).
    - Membrane gets removed and seasoning applied at least a couple hours before they go on the fire.  No binder used.
    - I like to dry brine beef ribs for 24-48 hours.
    - Egg indirect at 250ish, wood chunks of choice.  No cooking to time or temp, toothpick test determines when done.  Spares usually surrender in 4-5 hours, beef in 5-6, depends on the pig/cow.
    - No foiling, no spritzing, no rotating/flipping and no added liquid in the drip pan.
    - With the Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig I can easily fit 5 racks of spares flat on the grids, so no rack needed.  If using a rack I'd go fattiest end up.
    - If saucing, do at end of cook, bump heat to 325-350 and go until sugars begin to caramelize (15-30 min).
    - Baby backs seem to benefit from foiling, keeps the thick meaty part from drying out.  Go too long and they'll get mushy and lose their purchase on the bone.  More reasons to go with spares.
    Again, many ways to do ribs and it's hard to get bad results.  Biggest thing to avoid is undercooking.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @jdMyers - gotta admit, you are kind of blowing my mind with the 1-2 punch of spritzing with "I can't believe it's not butter" followed by a wrap with... real butter.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options

Never thought of it like that actually.  But they come out fairly decent.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options

Reverse order.  Now that you have me thinking about it.  It is funny 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options

Take advantage of the heat.
    Columbus, Ohio