Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Article: Who Needs Hot Sauce When You Have Hawaiian Chile Pepper Water?

Options
This is new to me.  I made the garlic/vinegar version using serranos, it was pretty good.  Also have end of season habaneros and jalapenos to play around with.
Using it for sipping purposes, I don't see it replacing any of my hot sauces.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,497
    Options
    Very interesting, I almost wonder if I didn't actually make this by accident.
    I don't have a very green thumb, and when I can get something to grow, its usually eaten by others (coons in Dayton, college students in Grand Forks, and deer here in Utah).  But there was one summer I had a Tabasco pepper growing in a pot on my back porch, and it made it to maturity before I was able to kill the plant, and I was able to harvest about a cup of tabasco peppers.  I didn't have a recipe, but the ingredient list on a bottle of Tabasco (my favorite) simple said "Distilled vinegar, red peppers, salt"; hell, I can do that!  I simmered a cup or so of white vinegar with the peppers, cooled and added salt "to taste", and strained it into a Cappuccino bottle from Starbucks (it had a resealable lid) and tossed it into the frig.  At the time I didn't know about lacto-fermentation at all (see Larry's info-rich thread in the Off-Topic section, https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1211374/ot-lacto-fermentation-fun-peppers-and-sriracha#latest

It remained a pink-tinged bottle of vinegar; never spoiled for two years when I threw it out.  Tasted mildly spicy but no replacement for Tabasco Sauce (since I strained out the peppers up-front, there was probably no actual lacto-ferment).  However, after reading the posted article, I maybe think that's about what I made, and it would have been good sprinkled on rice, or sipped as a palate-cleanser between bites.  The farmers' markets are pretty much done here now, but I will try this again next summer/fall.  

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill