Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

red lentil smash burgers & scrapple fries

Lit the egg today for the first time in over a year, hardly an egg cook just felt like firing it up with a whole day to hang in the hut & no work tomorrow.  Not really cooking many interesting things anymore, just survival, hazards of living solo.

This one however was fun and tasty, & really simple to put together.

Soak red lentils for 2 hours, drain and add shredded carrot, onion, & whatever seasoning you like, this is Maggi chicken seasoning, smoked paprika, salt & pepper, then pulse it until it's homogeneous

Caramelize some onions

rip open a pack of this & cut into 'fries'
layer into the air fryer
400 for around 15 minutes, don't even have to flip, perfectly cooked on all 4 sides
pull the onions out & roll the burger 'meat' into whatever size you want & into the hot cast iron pan
smash
probably 3 minutes later, a flip
found this round pepper jack cheese at the store this morning so that went on
another couple minutes & on the potato roll with some spicy sriracha mayo & a very cold Spoonwood Microbrewery 'Cold Drip City Coffee Blond Ale', anyone from the western PA area that hasn't taken a run at Spoonwood oughta put it on the list, fantastic food, excellent beer & a great atmosphere, has to be my favorite microbrewery anywhere

Girlfriend doesn't like onions so she swapped in tomatoes on hers, was really good both ways.  I made enough to make dinner for the next few nights which is pretty much standard operating procedure these days.

Veggie burger and meat fries, it's a thing. 

Happy Labor Day all, see you next year!
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,114
    Zippylip said:

Lit the egg today for the first time in over a year, hardly an egg cook just felt like firing it up with a whole day to hang in the hut & no work tomorrow.  Not really cooking many interesting things anymore, just survival, hazards of living solo.

That hardly looks like "just survival".  Great cook!  

The Past, Present, and Future all walk into a bar.

It was tense.  

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,955
    @Zippylip - Grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch country west of Reading, Pa and scrapple was for breakfast instead of bacon.  My Aunt used to send me a pan of scrapple made by butchers in Nazareth on special occasions or when Aunt and Uncle came to visit. That brand is available way down here in Florida at a local butcher shop I frequent. Scrapple fries is something I am going steal. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Yapple dapple love the scrapple
    played double Dutch with the girls in the chapel
    We then played naked ball toss with a sour apple.
    Sister Eunice caught it in her Snapple.
    Brother Edward brought her in the backle
    Around the corner we heard him cackle
    She came back with an empty Snapple
    Brother Edward came back, in his pants was a chapel.
    One can only hope it was the sour apple.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,701
    Quite a cook and skills right there.  We would all benefit from your return well in advance of "next year."
    That said, reads like your non BGE life is going well.  May that continue. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,823
    This looks and sounds terrific!

“Lunch of desperation” , from the cafeteria at work,  is a veggie burger with cheese and bacon. The griddle person usually does a double-take. The burger patties are flavorless,  but the veggie burgers have some seasoning, 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I'm glad to see that you have resurfaced, Marc. And that you are still creatively egging. Looks good! Come back soon.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,092
    I’d hit that 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    I'm glad to see that you have resurfaced, Marc. And that you are still creatively egging. Looks good! Come back soon.
    Hey Faith, how’s it going, hope all is well in Florida.  You know what, I didn’t realize it in real time but the kids were always the source of inspiration and creativity, they’re both grown and long gone and with them the rest went too.  Still cook good but boring food daily, very rarely anything post-worthy.  I miss the old days, the old place, the fests, those departed…   

I haven’t made it happen but I keep telling myself I’m going to go to the next mini-fest, if for no other reason than to break pool boy’s newest Styrofoam cooler

SamIAm2 said:
    @Zippylip - Grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch country west of Reading, Pa and scrapple was for breakfast instead of bacon.  My Aunt used to send me a pan of scrapple made by butchers in Nazareth on special occasions or when Aunt and Uncle came to visit. That brand is available way down here in Florida at a local butcher shop I frequent. Scrapple fries is something I am going steal. 

I'm pretty close to the border of Lancaster Amish Country, ground zero of the scrapple belt of course, a good place to be.  I'd try the fries in the air fryer, best way to avoid breakage during that critical initial stage where it wants to fall apart.  Plus it's a helluva lot easier than flipping 3 times to get all 4 surfaces... 
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania