Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kefir—Any thoughts

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Legume said:
    How much do you all drink daily?
    I usually have about 3/4 cup of yogurt or kefir with dinner every night. More often its yogurt.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Legume said:
    1/2 - 3/4 cup of kefir after dinner along with a few fermented asparagii or green beans.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Legume said:
    Two swallows out of the bottle. Almost every day.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Store bought kefir really has legs.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    @OhioEgger, @Ozzie_Isaac, that is what I have been doing every day for a week using the whole milk plain I can get at Kroger. I think I will try and get some kefir grains ordered today just for fun and comparison
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Kefir and coffee. (Not recommended).

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac, you get huge points just for the sheer bravery. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    1. That looks nasty
    2. at what temp would the active cultures die off if it hadn't turned out so nasty?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Legume said:
    1. That looks nasty
    2. at what temp would the active cultures die off if it hadn't turned out so nasty?
    Lacto can survive shock temp up to 75 C 167 F , but most bacteria die at that point anyway ( 160 ish ) 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac if coffee + kefir is your jam, maybe this would be worth trying-

https://lifewaykefir.com/recipes_dietary/coffee/

Also, Lifeway has a coffee flavored kefir.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.