Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - New grinder

Options
DuckDogDr
DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
Gotta have a new grinder unfortunately.
The one I had was corded .. thinking of making the jump to battery powered. 
I currently have a Milwaukee drill so considering going that route and keep with same battery system. 
Anyone have experience with the battery units … be it Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosch or Rigid ?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you only need to grind for a few minutes at a time and not on a regular basis I would definitely stay with Milwaukee to keep same batteries. But I still prefer a my corded grinder over my batter powered unit.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @Photo Egg planning on using about 1-2 x a week to take down edges / do initial rounding on duck decoys I’m carving.

maybe 15-20 minutes of work at a time before I swap to other tools
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a few cordless grinders.  Very impressive performance.  Milwaukee is the “Mercedes” of cordless tools, but they are expensive.   IMO, regardless of what brand you buy, the most important feature is making sure it has a brushless motor.
    Options
    I went the Milwaukee route and simply love it. I have found dollar for dollar that Fleabay is the best deal (usually) with bare tools unless someone has a big sale. I buy batteries separately around the holidays/fathers day. But again, depends. I always stick with Milwaukee batteries. Never tried the knock off. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,694
    Options
    Buy the tool naked and get a 5ah battery at least. The dinky batteries that come with a combo won’t give you very long run time.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    Milwaukee has a deal where you can buy two batteries and get a free tool (grinder is one option). I don’t think this gets you the charger though? 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I figured this was about meat grinders....

Got excited at the thought of a battery operated meat grinder.....

Then, realized it was a hand tool, not a kitchen tool.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,182
    Options
    I was thinking we were talking about a Hoagie (Submarine) Sandwich.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,823
    Options
    Your pretty much married to the battery.  I used to work for a large school district. There were 17 different trades. The plumbers liked DeWalt, carpenters Milwaukee M18, lockshop Makita. So whatever you choose look at the spectrum of tools available for your battery choice.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,458
    Options
    I was thinking we were talking about a Hoagie (Submarine) Sandwich.
    You mean a poboy 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    I'm a Hilti fan- I'm still using a 12 year old cordless drill- the batteries last, and when I need a new one they are still available. Not only are they available, the new one is lighter/smaller with a higher capacity. In heavy duty use, the Hilti tools both cordless and corded in my opinion are a cut above other brands.