Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grad party butts...advice?

ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
edited May 2023 in EggHead Forum
The boy graduates high school next weekend. We are joining w another family to host a grad party this saturday. We are providing the protein, the other family the other stuff.  I just this moment was told "120 people". Been planning all this time for 50 or 60. I've got 20lbs of pork butts pulled and in the freezer. Now...how much more? It's a drop in from 12 to 4 and we are the only party this Saturday from the high school. I still don't think I need 50 or 60 lbs of pork. We've done big dinners many times before but never a drop in. Any of you pros out there got any advice?

I've made a vinegar sauce and bought a bunch of local sauces ranging from super sweet to hot and spicy.SWMBO thinks we need 20 more lbs.. I say maybe 10.

Here is the boy at a senior cookout. So we do have a reputation to uphold. Times are a changing at the ksmyrl house. 

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    My opinion, most people won’t eat much. Maybe 1/8-1:4lb net weight per person
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I agree, 10 more pounds.  There’s always the possibility you get the entire school, but these kids are busy thinking about sex and freedom from adolescence, many don’t want to kill their buzz with food 🤣
    edited May 2023
    The general rule is 1/2 lb per person ( total protein, if you have more than 1 adjust accordingly) precooked weight , many many variables, I agree with @jstroke with1/4 per person, that being said, pork is relatively cheap, freezes well and it’s always nice to send food home , Congratulations!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I thought you title said “Grab” for a fleeting second🤪
    All I've got is congratulations to your son for the milestone and for you all to be appreciative of the opportunity to host the party.  Good luck gauging the final crowd but those for whom it matters will make sure to be there early on. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Hs kids eat a lot.   Have extra hot dogs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Congrats and a handsome youngin!  Heavy side like a big pan of meatballs/lil beef smokies mixed with bbq sauce and cranberry jelly is always an easy filler.  Just a big foil pan, coupla bags of thawed store bought meatballs, few packs of lil beef smokies, bbq rub, couple cans of cranberry jelly mixed with bbq sauce, stir it all together and let it ride until they’re hot and the sauce is incorporated. Toothpicks to go with. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Just did HS graduation party Sunday for my oldest. He wanted small party... Just immediate family. 26 people and I smoked 20lbs bone in weight before cooking. Just under half disappeared. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This is the constant struggle on this side. caliqueen is happy to run out of food at an event, and I can never understand what she has against having some leftovers, to have on hand for nights you don't feel like cooking, etc. 

I say go big with 50lbs of butt.Pulled pork is one of best kinds of 'cue to have left over. So many uses for it. Send some home with folks. Vac seal the rest. 

Enjoy the cook. Enjoy being happy about your son graduating. Win some points for saying "yes, dear." 

And, congratulations to your young man! Looks like a fine kid.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Not sure what I can add to all of the above other than to again say congrats! Please be sure to keep an eye open for any drinking going on. You, his mother and the parents of all the other attendees want their new graduates home safe and sound!

I know...just color me that old fart...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Remember that the 20lbs you have already is already cooked, so it doesn't compare evenly to what you would buy uncooked - it's probably 30lbs uncooked.  I do think another 10lb would be minimum and you may as well cook 2 or 3 to replace the frozen stuff you are getting rid of.
    NOLA
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Better to have too much than too little.  We usually did Thanksgiving here and one of the early years we had exactly enough mashed potatoes.  It would have been a tragedy for my Irish household.
  • ksmyrl
    Thanks yall, I'll report back how it goes. The entire senior glass is 70 students. A lot of parents and faculty will be coming also so they all won't eat like 18 year old football players. But if "Big Jack" and "BBQ Ben" show up I'll be in trouble no matter how much food we have...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Whatever they devour and enjoy will not resonate a day or two later with them. Regardless of the 120-150-175 number the experience and pounding and enjoying pork sliders will be the recall. 
    Way to support your son.  Congrats to all.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ksmyrl
    edited May 2023
    So true @lousubcap. This turning into a school party. Head of School called today and said "you cooking? I'm coming". Sighh. The memories will be good. We will have fun. 

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Your boy looks like a strapping lad, are his friends like him?    If so I’d do as suggested about, 1/2_# per person knowing some less, some more.   

Regardless, enjoy the celebration and take pictures for your photo book.   Should be a highly memorable event.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    This is fantastic.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    ksmyrl said:
    182 and counting. I have seven 8lb butts going right now...in addition to the paltry 20 lbs I had already prepared.  Just don't tell anyone that two of them are in the oven. I'll mix it all in with the ones that I could fit on the Large and Mini Max.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    You got this @ksmyrl !........Couple of variables I keep in mind is serving, If we are doing the serving ,I can pretty much pinpoint how much I need, if people serve themselves I plan on extra as people will heap on servings they never eat and it goes in the trash, I want clean plates 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    So much for the guesstimates.  Obviously your son is quite popular and has spread the word about your great eats on tap. 
  • caliking
    lkapigian said:
    You got this @ksmyrl !........Couple of variables I keep in mind is serving, If we are doing the serving ,I can pretty much pinpoint how much I need, if people serve themselves I plan on extra as people will heap on servings they never eat and it goes in the trash, I want clean plates 
    This may sound miserly, but this ^^^. Also, if you serve while holding bottom bun over the pan of PP, any excess/overflow falls back into the pan, and is less likely to be wasted.

I'm cheap like that. 

• caliking
    Way to "carpe diem". Looking forward to party pics!

Some time from time now,  you won't remember how much pork you had left over, etc. You will remember what a good time everyone had, how much fun you had with this cook, and how awesome it was to celebrate your kid. 

Enjoy!

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    This is very cool!
    Stillwater, MN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    WOW! WOW! WOW!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.