Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another gadget lighter

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
edited May 2023 in EggHead Forum
Don't forget to look for apply coupon on the Amazon page.  Save $10 - $25 at checkout

POWERFUL Kitchen Cooking Torch - Sous Vide - Propane Torch - Charcoal Torch Lighter - Grilling Culinary Kitchen Torch, Outdoor Cooking Torch for BBQ Searing Steak, Creme Brulee (Tank Not Included) https://a.co/d/bIBuJz1

Or

Koackl Powerful Grill Gun Propane Torch, Professional Cooking, Grilling and BBQ Tool, Culinary Kitchen Grilling for Searing Steak,Outdoor Charcoal Lighter for BBQ… https://a.co/d/fXJmEVx

Or again take the $10 off $19 below

Grill Torch Charcoal Starter,BBQ Torch,30,000BTU,Grill Gun Propane Torch,Self Igniting with Flame Control Valve and Ergonomic Anti-slip Handle(Fuel Not Included) https://a.co/d/f7ntQWq

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• jdMyers
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ordered the cheapest one, thanks!
    Options
    Don’t forget your adaptor if you don’t have one for refilling tanks. 5.00 bucks. Turn your big tank upside down on your bench. Only trick is to bleed off a little air pressure before filling, and weigh your tank, total weight roughly 30oz as memory serves.—lots of ewe tube videos.. 

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • jdMyers
    Options
      Much nicer than I thought for the cheap price.

Columbus, Ohio
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    jdMyers said:
      Much nicer than I thought for the cheap price.

Have you fired it up?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Have to get a new can in the am
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    @jdMyers - what do you think of the Koackl?  I actually have a version of the second one there and the firing pin it barely works anymore.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jdMyers
    edited May 2023
    Options
    The koacki.  This originally started with grill gun, grill blazer etc.  They wanted $179.00.  Then when I dug in to it.  Plastic shroud that looks like a gun and is a basic yard Torch or su vide Torch.   Once I realized that. They are all plastic.  Changed my opinion. 

Thought it was cheap at first.  Then when I realized the novelty of it.  $30 ish was ok vs $179 for the same thing.

The koacki won't stand on its own if the tank is attached.  If the stand is near by it will just set down in to it and is ok.  Without the stand awkward. 

The flame is wider and lest fine tuned than the chrome one.  Too close you get more sparks.  Just like with the long neck chrome one.  Plastic handle on gun is a flame booster.  It's fun. 

For the money both work well.  I can see the bottle stand will wear on me sooner than later.  Because when your ready to set it down you usually put it whhere ever is close and works best.  Now it's Where's the stand.

With the chrome one.  I can throw it under my outdoor grill cabinet and not think about it.  With the gun.  I will feel like i need to put it away.  One more thing to store.  The gun allows you to change angles easier.
    It is fun tho.  Flame booster has a release tab on the handle.  Works better than I thought.  I would say this is the grill gun with a different name.

Columbus, Ohio
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Great review, thank you!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    One last question. Do you feel these work better than the standard plumbers torch heads that attach to top of bottles? The Benzomatic type?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jdMyers
    edited May 2023
    Options
    For me.  The $19 chrome one that I paid $35 for works well enough.  Easy light.  Heats up koals and does the job.  The Torch gun with booster is fun but award to sit down.  I worry that high volume Torch makes sparks and worry it might Crack the bottom if I get to carried away.  Plumbers Torch head works fine.  Just really short 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 674
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Seems like this design kind of hops around different retailers and manufacturers. I like the one I have even with the starter not working anymore. Just light it with a small flamestick lighter. I also have a long dry box that it fits in well for storage after the torch end cools. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    One last question. Do you feel these work better than the standard plumbers torch heads that attach to top of bottles? The Benzomatic type?
    Not asked of me, but i keep coming back to the Bernzomatic torch head. Easy to pack for eggfests (when we were doing those), and camping, etc. Relatively compact form factor.  I think the TS4000 works better than the basic one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    caliking said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Not asked of me, but i keep coming back to the Bernzomatic torch head. Easy to pack for eggfests (when we were doing those), and camping, etc. Relatively compact form factor.  I think the TS4000 works better than the basic one. 
    This is what I have used for years. I find them in thrift stores for a couple bucks but I’m down to my last unit. Most plumbing is now cpvc or pex so not seeing them very often now. You know me, I just need a little push towards a new bbq toy…lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jdMyers
    Options
    The gun Torch with the discount is fun.  The $19 works great as well
    Columbus, Ohio
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Once my looftlighter exploded, I switched to paper towels and isopropyl alcohol. 

I need to get back in the game…
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    Options
    Love the basic JJ George torch that is like the basic one above.  Hard to beat.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Once my looftlighter exploded, I switched to paper towels and isopropyl alcohol. 

I need to get back in the game…
    Haha I’ve been doing this too, just with standard cooking oil.  Ball it up and stick it in the chimney with some lump and you’re up and running with hot coals in about 30 min.  Really not a terrible way to go all things considered.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike