Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic Storage

Options
What is the best way to store roasted garlic? I was thinking of vac sealed or a mason jar?  If I vac seal some raw garlic should I refrigerate it?
XL BGE
Plainfield, IL.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Being a low acid high ph vegetable, vac seal and freeze to lower the available water activity AW, dehydrating is also a great option if you want to store unrefrigerated 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like to store garlic in my belly. 

There was a recent thread or conversation on the forum about roasting large amounts at a time and then vacuum sealing to freeze.  Roasted garlic always at the ready!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    freeze it in an ice tray and then store in a ziploc bag once frozen

paqman said:
    freeze it in an ice tray and then store in a ziploc bag once frozen
    I did this recently and now have enough garlic to get most people through a year (and maybe even a whole week for @caliking)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Not roasted, but this is how I store my garlic.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There's always this storage medium.
    Garlic 1 ct - Kroger

Plenty of ways to store, but avoid storing in oil in the fridge, which is a recipe for botulism. You can confit garlic, but you need to acidify it (citric acid or something) to a pH below 4.6. Acidification won't render any existing botulism poison inert, so not a solution if you suspect it is already there.  Doesn't matter if it's cooked or not.

Options
    Vacuum sealed with no air is the same as in oil (or water, don't know who would do that).
    Options
    Vacuum sealed with no air is the same as in oil (or water, don't know who would do that).
    I see a lot of garlic in honey fermentation recipes.  I always wonder about that.  Is the sugar content high enough to kill bacteria?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I see a lot of garlic in honey fermentation recipes.  I always wonder about that.  Is the sugar content high enough to kill bacteria?
    Honey has a pH below 4.6.  There are enzymes in most honey from the bees that create hydrogen peroxide which acts as an antibiotic.  Manuka honey, only found where manuka plants live, has MGO which is an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant. 

Options
    Honey has a pH below 4.6.  There are enzymes in most honey from the bees that create hydrogen peroxide which acts as an antibiotic.  Manuka honey, only found where manuka plants live, has MGO which is an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant. 

Doesn't osmolarity also have something to do with it? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    caliking said:

Doesn't osmolarity also have something to do with it? 
    Yes and no.  If you throw vegetables in and you’re adding something that’s 90% water, you have multiple phases.
    edited April 2023
    Options

I use manuka on my horses and have used it on burns.  Works like a treat.

And thank you for rhe explanation, didn't realize pH for honey was so low.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options

I guess honey has long been known to have medicinal purposes. SWMBO has diabetes, and gave herself a deep gash on her shin when she ran in to the corner of the dishwasher door (door was open as she was emptying it). Wouldn’t heal after many weeks due to low blood flow to that area I was told. Eventually the wound care doc prescribed the honey product below to be placed directly on the wound and then bandaged. Thing was healed in a couple weeks, and now she has a cool shark tooth shaped scar. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SWMBO tells me she has used that Medihoney all the time on wounds for patients.  Same type of wounds.
    Options
    CTMike said:

I guess honey has long been known to have medicinal purposes. SWMBO has diabetes, and gave herself a deep gash on her shin when she ran in to the corner of the dishwasher door (door was open as she was emptying it). Wouldn’t heal after many weeks due to low blood flow to that area I was told. Eventually the wound care doc prescribed the honey product below to be placed directly on the wound and then bandaged. Thing was healed in a couple weeks, and now she has a cool shark tooth shaped scar. 

Yup, it works great.  Heals burns lickety split.  Also road rash.  Never tried it on deep gashes/cuts, but might have to if opportunity occurs.

We also use silver spray and tumeric sauves, but honey seems the best.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Silver can (with enough use) cause Argyria, which is also the first step to become Na’vi

🤪😨🥶🧞‍♂️😂
    Options
    Silver can (with enough use) cause Argyria, which is also the first step to become Na’vi

🤪😨🥶🧞‍♂️😂
    Takes dedication, but in certain circumstances is worth the effort.